PDA

View Full Version : Character: Bighorn - Ovis canadensis

Zardoz
03-04-2004, 12:46 AM
This is my latest animal. First thing with fur (after some fun with ALF, lol).

i'll post wireframes later (and renders of the bighorn only).

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0235892501/web/renders/003.jpg

:beer:

ryusen
03-04-2004, 01:30 AM
noone has anything to say on this..?

this is awesome.. especially the snow on the fur.. but what are those two goats doing at a very high land..?

Plays_4_Pants
03-04-2004, 02:00 AM
I like this, but I've seen you do many many animals, and finally, I have the guts to ask you, why? What are you trying to say here?

Anyway, I think the animal is great, even though u have some odd depth of field playing in there, but the cheesy photo background I think takes away from the total image, especially when the background is more in focus than the animals.

Nice work, got the animal model dead on :thumbsup:

Automoda
03-04-2004, 02:56 AM
I think they look pretty good. I too like to model animals.

I think that there is a little something bothering me about the pelvic/hip area. The rump seems to be hanging a little bit too low to me. The hip joint would be somewhere just a few inches below the base of the tail, and I think your tail is a little to low-set on this model. As is the first leg bone would be almost close to horizontal when the animal was standing there-- Then again I've never owned a mountain sheep so I cant be sure. I'm a little bit worried about the wide stance on the front legs. I realize he's stepping forward, but any animal thats going to be ballancing around on cliffs is going to keep his weight straight above the hoof carrying the load. He's got a sort of "bulldog" broad chest. I'd try narrowing it down and then checking to see if it looks better in that pose. Anyhow, just something to think about. Keep em comin'

Zardoz
03-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi guys, tx on the comments. I'll try to do something with them.

ryusen tx for your comments. About the altitude...well I'm not an expert but i know they can go at least to 13,000 ft...not bad, hey? But in the Rockys, I think they go higher.

Plays_4_Pants well I'm not trying to say anything...I just like to do animals. Some guys do cars, other do robots...I do animals. I have a scientific illustration course, but my teacher is only into traditional art, and this is my way to show him that computers can do this too. I know I'm not there yet, but one day I'll be (I hope).
About the depth of field...yeah i know. I love depth of field, but I always get that 'Macro' look that shouldn't be on big animal photos. I'll try to correct that and post here another render. Tx for posting.

This kind of comments is what I'm looking for. Keep them comming.

Supervlieg
03-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeah these silly goat are top mountain climbers. Theyre crazy.

Anyway, I like the bighorn itself. I'm not so sure about the now, it looks a bit unnatural. I think it's because of the greyish shadows. I think they should be more blue-ish.

And the depth of field is of. I think id you have that amount of blurriness in front of the pic, and the focal point is the bighorn, the mountains in the backgroudn would surely have to be more out of focus.

Anyway, keep the animals coming!

mikepolizos
03-04-2004, 09:27 AM
The models looks good! Maybe we can see some wires later!

As for the render, it needs a bit more attention! And the snow falling seems to me that is glowing or maybe is just me!

Anyhow great work and as supervlieg already said: "keep the animals coming"!
:) :)

Zardoz
03-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Yep the snow is glowing... :rolleyes: I thought it hads an extra...erhm, well an extra something.

wireframes.

(edited: due to changes on my website these pics aren't here anymore...)

roborn
03-04-2004, 03:26 PM
coool! :thumbsup:

personally i don't like the glow on the snow. that's the only crit.

the rest: rulez a lot, just like the other works that you 've show ('aquatic series')! :D

good job! :thumbsup:

Tuga_3D
03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
:scream: Dammm!!
Great job!

my only crtic... joining the others alredy pointed, is in the render
wire i can see some edges in the legs of the goat that are not
in the same direction as all the others, not that im trying to be
picky or something else but in order to make "This kind of
comments is what I'm looking for. Keep them comming." - like
you´ve very well nominated!
Parabéns pelo bom desempenho.
:applause:

P.s- We have been following you´r very nice work. :thumbsup:

Q_B
03-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Main Crit: Shadow

I think the real prob with ur pic are the shadows, not only the ones in the snow, but also the too dark area underneath the animals. No direct sunlight=lots of ambient light + bounce light.
I think u miss some bounce of the snow on the animals.

Besides that, rocks!
Very good work.

(Ain't that a shame when teachers are so close-minded:hmm: )

Zardoz
03-05-2004, 02:27 PM
bighorn renders...

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0235892501/web/renders/001.jpg

Zardoz
03-05-2004, 02:30 PM
and listening to your tips i changed my render (erhm...changed the background and a few things only):

wich one do u like best?

(edited: due to changes on my website these pics aren't here anymore...)

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0235892501/web/renders/002.jpg

iXaarii
03-05-2004, 02:33 PM
did you put the snow on their backs manually? details?

AndrewE
03-05-2004, 02:33 PM
They are the exact same, the one is just rotated a bit. Give some more variation.

Overall, good job!

Zardoz
04-26-2004, 02:05 PM
iXaarii yep, the snow on their back and horns, was painted in photoshop...i did it with particles, but i liked this one more.

tx for the crits

jeroenven
04-26-2004, 06:19 PM
very nice model! congratiualions!

ReSeT
04-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Hi!

That's a very fine piece of 3D Art, this Bighorn absolutely rocks. :thumbsup:

GreetZ

ReSeT

xcvbnm
04-27-2004, 02:33 AM
I liked the renders without the env and scene..., which almost ruined your excellent model....
It has some anatomical probz, but I'm no goat expert :p
I feel that you should show some eyes, those appear like dark holes. Goats have big lively eyes.

Keep those animals coming...

Skyraider3D
05-01-2004, 11:25 PM
That's a lovely model Zardoz! The renders still look a bit too CG, but if you're simply aiming for an illustration, it does the job!

I really like your subjects, you know! A lot more original than space marines, orcs, warrior babes, F-16s, Audi TTs, you name it! :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.