PDA

View Full Version : Characters: Cartoon Characters

Pi3141
03-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Here's a few original cartoon characters I've done recently...

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Gecko/Gecko_Lineup_Normal.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Anna/Anna_Lineup_Normal.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Junkie/Junki_Lineup_Normal.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Dude/Dude_LineUp_NORMAL.jpg

All textures are procedurals

Rigging by Peter Thomas (www.thomas4d.com)

Check out his kickass rigging plugin HERE (http://thomas4d.com/t4d_rigger/t4d_rigger.html)

Pi3141
03-03-2004, 11:09 PM
A few extras...

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Junkie/Junkie1.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Dude/Dude1.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Junkie/Junki_And_A_Dude.jpg

and a re-render of manson

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/MarilynManson/MarilynManson_Lineup_Normal.jpg

policarpo
03-03-2004, 11:17 PM
these are really tight dude...i love the color space and composition of each of these!!!

Chagidiel
03-03-2004, 11:34 PM
As I have said before; those procedural textures are absolutely awesome! Very impressive work.

I love the new lizard-guy and the new (I havenīt seen it before anyway) Anna-render is a beauty!

Good work Pi :cool:

Andini
03-03-2004, 11:42 PM
I love the lizard! Great work!

DaveLEWIS
03-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi Pi,

Good to see U back on here man.

Great characters. I mean realy great characters.

Ur work Rocks Big time.

Best Wishes

daveythegravy

vlad74
03-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Just amazing. I love your characters.:beer:

ptaverner
03-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Really really nice. :)

Peter

evan
03-04-2004, 02:10 AM
yes, nice work Pi3141, I think everyone has already mentioned that :) so anyway, awesome dude! I especially like the Gecko!

Evan

brenton
03-04-2004, 02:11 AM
Very good characters you've got there.

My favorite is the guy with the blonde hair, just something about the hair and the hat covering his eyes.

rexfang
03-04-2004, 02:11 AM
NICE!!! wow....dude....great style....

I can feel the style you having now...really strong concept!

:thumbsup: :bowdown:

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys :)

I always thought the blonde one looked a little like Kurt Cobain ;)

brenton
03-04-2004, 02:21 AM
yeah i can see the resemblance, and a pretty good one at that

swag
03-04-2004, 02:30 AM
very nice - i like your style :thumbsup:

Beechdbum
03-04-2004, 02:31 AM
great job, your devoliping a really nice style. id have to agree the blonde guy is my favorite,

DirtySkillet
03-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Oh DAMN I LOVE THAT MEAT CLEAVER GIRL!!!!!

LMFAO!!

Rest are cool too. These got real attitude.

firstsingle
03-04-2004, 02:48 AM
I don't know guys. That guy with the blue cap and cigarette rocks and has a world of attitude.
Guy with the blonde hair, color it black and you have yourself Johnny Depp!

My Vote: Guy with blue cap and smokes:thumbsup:

8BIT BOY
03-04-2004, 03:06 AM
The one with the ciggy reminds me of Ogre from Skinny Puppy, he's even got the syringe to prove it!......I take it that is a syringe?

Not so kean on the Manson, your models better looking..;)

Exceptional work.

inaktive
03-04-2004, 03:09 AM
stunning work... i am always inspired by people who acchieve at cartoony style characters..

really nice... like the guy with the ciggy

BurrowingDuck
03-04-2004, 03:35 AM
those hats are awesome! 'grats on front page

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 03:39 AM
Thanks man :)

And just saw the front page. Thanks to who stuck it there :bounce:

chongzi
03-04-2004, 03:46 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: cool,i like it!

peanut
03-04-2004, 03:46 AM
Wooohaaayooo !!!

The texturing's Hot !

dmeyer
03-04-2004, 04:25 AM
Very nice. The Manson one makes me think of celebrity jeopardy for some reason.

What software?

bjoern
nice style!!

regards
bjoern

foxco
realy awsome style, i like it :) its definately the cartoony style i want to shoot for in my demoreel, and i like the lizard, repiles kick butt

/fox

mehdianim
03-04-2004, 04:35 AM
Strong characters. I like your style.

DZL
03-04-2004, 04:39 AM
is that steve nash of the dallas mavericks with the cigarette??

dude, i love the 'felt' look you've achieved with the hats and pants - that is hot. i also like the look of that blond hair... this is some original stuff, not only a distinct cartoon feel, but some techno-knowledge of shaders and lighting... good stuff.

excuse me waiter? i'll take more of this, and less cars and robots.

Muad'dib
03-04-2004, 05:12 AM
... great stuff Pi3141 ;) I love the whole gang

One little tiny thing - the toes are a little too straight up (sqaure) on that dude with the bluish hat. The rest is spot on.

SlamminJohn
03-04-2004, 07:08 AM
:buttrock:
Niiiiiice.
I must say I do really like the lizard the best.
Although that girl with the cleaver reminds me of my first girlfriend.
j/k

NICE WORK

TRyanD
03-04-2004, 07:30 AM
You freaking rock man, ive loved every model ive seen!!!

:beer: :beer:

:applause: :bowdown:

rickycox
03-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Love that Geko, that's got to be a personal favorite.

nobrain
03-04-2004, 07:58 AM
awesome pics

the cigarette should be bent and squashed a bit.

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 08:03 AM
I didn't even think of that lol. That's an awesome idea man. Perfect for his style :)

Also thanks to everyone else who has been kind enough to reply. I'm happy you like the characters.

Often the most simplistic designs are the most succesful.

:beer:

Zycho
03-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Dude, that lizard rocks!!! I'd love to see him animated!!

genioloko
03-04-2004, 09:32 AM
good work guy!! i really like this red/white lizzard!!!! :D

Garma
03-04-2004, 09:36 AM
hehe, cool. the hat covering his eyes is just very cool. The junk's face and arms are cool too.

stiffmeister
03-04-2004, 09:48 AM
YES YES .... i like the geko really. the sketch of manson is cool :buttrock:

so there: keep on rockin'

Madison
03-04-2004, 10:12 AM
:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Very nice, well done.

niki
03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
I love the geko...it's so cute...
also the other characters are beautiful and the textures are very very well done

xtrm3d
03-04-2004, 10:39 AM
congratulation..really cool chrachter work..
me just sade that the gecko did not come on the front page.. :-):applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ragnakim
03-04-2004, 11:03 AM
:buttrock: Great job!!!

m-greenwood
03-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Excellent characters!
I'd love to know how you achieve the texturing results using procedurals. Any chance of a run-through?
What software?
Great work.

crashd
03-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey there man,
First, some really great work :} Love the Style and feel of the models, and the clothes. I'd love to know what kind of textures you used for these models, ie: more info on the procedurals :} they are really tight.
Keep up the good work

cermit
03-04-2004, 11:24 AM
amazing characters

SpaXe
03-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow i love the first one..but it seems not shown in your second posting. Can i take a nearer view of it?

You've got a very great textures and lighting.:thumbsup:

goodlag
03-04-2004, 11:47 AM
unique style

nice works:bounce: :bounce:

cuse
03-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Thats funny, i saw them and thought, 'yea, theyre kind like that guy that did the manson models' haha...

The blondie looks a little like kurt cobain, was that a starting point by any chance? Would be good to see them in an envoironment soon? Backstage, after show, needle boy can be shooting up etc?

Anyway, looks good... i agree you need to mess up and squash thee cigarette, but very cool, congrats!

cuse

crimson13
03-04-2004, 12:14 PM
fantastic style :beer:

UK3D
03-04-2004, 01:59 PM
Meat cleaver girl does it for me, followed by the lizard. Any modeling that makes you laugh out loud has to be good. Great characters.:thumbsup:

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Wow! Thanks so much for all these replies :bounce:

Now let me try and answer some of these questions.

The textures done with procedurals, were acheived using weights and alphas to help blend the procedurals together.

I also broke up the mesh into different peices and assigned different material.

For example. under the eyes had a seperate surface of its own, compared to the cheek, or forehead.

It sounds like a bit of a pain, but in the long run it did save me UV mapping ;)

Spaxe, here are some closer shots of the two that are pushed back further back.

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Anna/CLoseUp.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Gecko/Closeup.jpg

Thanks again everyone! Really made my day

weakfish
03-04-2004, 03:06 PM
oh i like it!!! it's very very nice~~~~

(-o-)
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
nice characters. I like the girl and the heroin addict the best....wouldnt mind seeing some wires, and how long does it take to model a character?

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks man.

Here are some wires I had pre-taken

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/wires/AnnaWires.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Gecko/Gecko7.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Junkie/Junkie2.jpg

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Dude/Dude8Wire.jpg

Time of completion usually depends on how strong the idea is in my head. Not long usually.

DarkLimit
03-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Pi3141 - This fantastic work very inspiring... I like the personality you give your characters it jumps right at ya. I really like the girl with the chopper she looks like she can kill you and take ur BEER !! :D

keep up the amazing work....

storman
03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Your characters looks so true! Fantastic! Good way to avoid UV mapping. Amazing!

I like colors and lighting very much too!

og_reborn
03-04-2004, 05:10 PM
the meat cleaver girl is my favorite. She made me laugh out loud.

It's gotta be the mouth. It's hilarious.

Devilsnok
03-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Excellent work.

bash
03-04-2004, 05:47 PM
I love your style man! clean and nice renders, and the characters are great! :)

Remi
03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Great job Pi....see you around bud:)

It's about time cartoons got recognized here:rolleyes:

Dreamwave
03-04-2004, 07:36 PM
oh, it's Pisong again whose cartoons are plugged on the frontline again :P

hehe, didn't recognise you with your new nick and avatar, very nice job as usual, I really like that girl, very nice style :thumbsup:

Zhalktis
03-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Excelent works, man! :thumbsup:

I think you really succeeded at capturing the agility and flexibility of a gecko in it's character design. And yeah, it's my personal favorite from now on.

Bunch of thanks for the inspiration! :)

MarkCurtis
03-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Nice cartoony characters. No offense, but putting these on the front page seems to indicate a lowering of the standards for what gets put there. I do prefer the strat guitar work over the character work.

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 07:58 PM
No offense, but putting these on the front page seems to indicate a lowering of the standards for what gets put there

I do take offense to that. You knew I would too.

If your have a critique or comment in relation to the work post away. But you can leave the belittling comments out. They are most unwelcome.

Just because its a cartoon character does not lower the quality of ones work. It's narrow minded views and opinions like this that make posting work an effort at times.

Please move on

Remi
03-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I agree 10 fold....just as much heart and soul go into cartoons as realistic stuff.....sorry you can't see that....keep it up Pi....cartoons are the shiznizzle:)
:wip:

-KDX-
03-04-2004, 08:18 PM
I do as well, just because a piece does not look like it belong in a LOTR film or it doesn't have some weird artistic BS in it does NOT mean it shouldn't be recognized.

I happen to think these characters are very lively and creative, as well as very professionally done. As a matter of fact, I'll go so far as to say it's refreshing to see something that's NOT a car/brickbuilding/realistic face on the front site.

To you who posted that very RUDE comment, I give u two thumbs down. To the artist, I give two thumbs UP. Very good work, and I must say...this type of stylization would work very well in an animated sitcom (MTV maybe with the very rocker-esque feel)

-KDX-

ahimsa
03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
:thumbsup:
That's wonderfully made! Great job!
And according to me it's worth frontpage stuff.
The quality you put in your cartoon character and the unique style you used is as good as those full of details and others frontpage stuff!!!!!!!
Really nice style :applause:

Infinity3d4life
03-04-2004, 09:01 PM
man this is awesome work.. LOVE the lizard... But my favorite is the guy with the black hat on covering his eyes.. awesome

mattcioffi
03-04-2004, 09:05 PM
pretty cool. funny character designs.

the one thing i would say is that some parts of the models have a distinct stiff CG look about them. especially the junky's feet, they look a bit extruded. that distracts me. i think the gekko has the best form all round but he looks really naked without a texture. other than that thier all pretty fresh.

MarkCurtis
03-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Pi3141
I do take offense to that. You knew I would too.

If your have a critique or comment in relation to the work post away. But you can leave the belittling comments out. They are most unwelcome.

Just because its a cartoon character does not lower the quality of ones work. It's narrow minded views and opinions like this that make posting work an effort at times.

Please move on

It had nothing to do with the cartoon nature of the work. It's just that, imho, the work is average. I do understand that you'd prefer all high fives and fanboy praise but then wouldn't we all?

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your comments, It's cool you don't like the characters, not everyone has the same tastes.

However theres no need to be rude about it, on either occasion.

Move Along.

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah, put this together really quickly for those of you that liked the gecko.

The insentive to post this extra render has dropped somewhat however I hope some of you enjoy it. The poses were rather quick.

http://pisongdesign.com/Images/Gecko/Gecko_Alt_Lineup_Normal.jpg

MarkCurtis
03-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your comments, It's cool you don't like the characters, not everyone has the same tastes.

However theres no need to be rude about it, on either occasion.

Move Along.

Sorry you feel that it's rude to have a straightforward and contrary opinion.
But characterizing a contrary opinion as "rude" is clearly an attempt to shame anyone from posting a less than glowing post.

I still feel that this work doesn't belong on the front page. :)

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 09:33 PM
And Lastly, this is the last I will speak on this topic so you need not reply.

If you personally have a problem with my work being shown on the front page, compain to the person who put it there.

I didn't ask for my work to be there, I didn't draw attention to my thread, I didn't contact any mods or send off any emails or make any announcments.

I'd suggest you write a Private Mail to the site Moderators and file your complaint with them if its so problematic to you.

It's not my problem.

Gecko
03-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Whaaaaa a Gecko... so cool

kurv
03-04-2004, 09:51 PM
PiSong, your work is fantastic... I think we all just wish we had been on the cover ;)

Keep'em coming Pisong!!!

AstroSanchezz
03-04-2004, 09:53 PM
To me these characters are not average at all
just as much thinking and work goes into these as anything else
As Pi said if you don't think it sould be plugged then email a Mod about it :)

anyway..

Pi these are all kickass characters
have alot of personality and style
i really like those last poses of the gekko

keep making great characters
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Padmus
03-04-2004, 10:05 PM
great models however i do have on critique. on the tips of the geckos fingers the red seems to make like a circle around the tip where it changes into white. this looks kinda funny to me

Scott Harris
03-04-2004, 10:07 PM
hey This is really great stuff!

I love the clean sleek look of it all... The lizzard has alot of character, hell they all do... Can we expect to see some animation any time soon???

MarkCurtis: come on man if you have a crit speak your mind but don't try to rip someone else down because their work dosn't suit your taste... thats not cool. obviously many people enjoyed looking at this thread

I'm glad it was on the front page and it's a good job :thumbsup:

MarkCurtis
03-04-2004, 10:55 PM
And Lastly, this is the last I will speak on this topic so you need not reply.

If you personally have a problem with my work being shown on the front page, compain to the person who put it there.

I didn't ask for my work to be there, I didn't draw attention to my thread, I didn't contact any mods or send off any emails or make any announcments.

I'd suggest you write a Private Mail to the site Moderators and file your complaint with them if its so problematic to you.

It's not my problem.

I suggest you take a look at the 2 star rating. My comment is not a complaint but simply an observation that others who voted apparently share.

Ever seen the Geico lizard? :rolleyes:

Pi3141
03-04-2004, 11:08 PM
How would you like me to reply to this?

Thanks?

Great?

Awesome, that makes me feel good?

I've been patient with you, and that patience is running out.

Your still YET to post a critique so unless you have anything constructive to say besides mocking me and putting me down, please move along.

R32
03-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Hey Mark Curtis! Why don't you post some of your own work so we can have a look at how much better than this it is? It's usually the case with someone on here making non constructive criticism that they don't have work of their own that even comes close to what they are bagging out. So you either totally rock or you're full of crap.

:wavey:

xeno3d
03-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Mark, c'mon man... your opinion is your opinion and thats cool, but leave it alone, just step away. There really is no reason to be nasty about it :)

PiSONG, your work rocks in my opinion man, very inspirational, love the cartoon look, but thats my opinion. :)

Keep it up man! :thumbsup:

Dreamy Kid
03-04-2004, 11:25 PM
hi Pisong, I've visited your website and see your artwork, all i can say is I always love your style. good job pis, and please keep posting your new works . i'd love to see that. just because somebody say he/she doesnt like what you made, doesnt mean it's bad, if it's good then it's good. keep up the good work

-KDX-
03-04-2004, 11:30 PM
here we go:

what we have here is someone who has an opinion, and instead of keeping it to himself or possibly putting it in a less-rude context, decides to interject it in such a manner that everyone can read it (forum) and in such a manner that will OBVIOUSLY offend the artist.

Basically, if you cannot think of a way for the artist to improve his design according to your liking, then you should just not post. That's the difference between criticism and being a jackass. Criticism is backed with a possible solution--somthing you think might work better. Being a jackass is something anyone can do, and unlike the criticism, does not take any knowledge of the subject matter.

So if you don't like cartoons, don't enjoy or for that matter create stylized characters, etc...then u have zero reason to even post in this thread other than to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down...and by saying it lowers the standard is EXTREMELy offensive comment, one which could have went without writing.

This, by my definitition, would be a criticism of your attitude...so you can decide whether to heed it or not...but either way I hope you think before you hit enter on a post next time around. There are ways to show disapproval without stating something like you did. That's all.

-KDX-

policarpo
03-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Pi...i wouldn't worry about what this dude thinks...he isn't even offering you any pointers on how to improve things...he's just being subjective about things.

He should just take it up with the mods...or surf a place that is up to his high standards.

guereja_1
03-05-2004, 12:12 AM
i love the sore spot on the drugaddicts inner elbow! it just made that character more appealing. i personally like anna, the butcher knife is soooo classic! i love it. by the way, don't listen to markcurtis, i've never seen anyone post a meaner comment on anyone's work. so i dunno what's up this guy's @ss--obviously since he hasn't posted anything, he's jealous or something....who knows. :shrug:

MarkCurtis
03-05-2004, 12:14 AM
It does appear that if you're a fanboy then you're allowed to use juvenile name calling and childish taunts as a few have decided to use here in the most recent posts.

I think stating that it's just not up the standard for front page inclusion is pretty straightforward plus I think that the 2 star rating is what it deserves.

Pi3141
03-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Are you going to keep repeating yourself? I hope you do, your keeping my thread at the top :D

Thanks man.

Pi3141
03-05-2004, 12:22 AM
And its three stars. But who's counting :beer:

Remi
03-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Mark....can we possibly see your outstanding, mind blowing work that you produce? I'm not trying to be rude or anything....I just think what appears on the frontpage is subjective to the mods and what they like.....and that's a perk of being a mod...you get to plug stuff YOU like.:shrug:

T4D
03-05-2004, 01:29 AM
those characters are Soo Cool
I just liking touching each one in my own special way :beer:

XYZRGB
03-05-2004, 01:54 AM
The thing that I really like about your character of Manson, is that you -- really -- nailed his look.
It always amazes me how far that an artist can stretch a persons features, yet still capture a likeness of that person.

The guy with the hat made me think of Kid rock.

( I created a model of Osama Bin Laden much like the ones here. You inspired me.
'Toons are fun ! )

Great work. Keep cranking them out ! :bowdown::buttrock:

MarkCurtis
03-05-2004, 02:23 AM
And its three stars. But who's counting :beer:

three stars = average (mediocre)

Check out how a "mature" artist like Stahlberg responds when his work receives comments that fall short of smoke blowin and fanboyisms.

Pi3141
03-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Ok dude. Your right.

Apologies for posting my artwork, I'll make sure I'll run it past your expertise eyes next time, to ensure I brand it with an appropriate "quality" label.

Might want to do a little plugging guide for the mods too.

EDIT:

Can we close this thread please mods?

Remi
03-05-2004, 03:15 AM
"You should try and model Manson in a different outfit" or "I think it would be better if you gave the gecko spots"....Those are critiques/feedback....not ....""I don't think it's frontpage material"
You can at least agree to that right?

Scott Harris
03-05-2004, 08:58 PM
hey MarkCurtis thanks for reminding me of the type of person I would never want to work with...

chill out and leave something constructive... or just leave...

will there any animation of the lizzard?

Pi3141
03-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks Scott.

There could be, I've got a bunch of projects going on at the moment, so time for personal projects is limited.

I'd certainly like to get around to it though :)

Scott Harris
03-05-2004, 09:13 PM
i know how it is man...

But i'd love to see it :thumbsup:

the178
03-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Really Cool style!!!!!!!!
Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kilroy
03-06-2004, 07:16 PM
awsome, very nice characters

Sas.hun
03-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Very Nice Characters! :thumbsup:

Congrat! :beer:

SpiritWalker
03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
man u have a wonderful cartoonic style! love your work and hope to see more if it in the future :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.