PDA

View Full Version : Scene (object): Beryllium according to String theory

Virum
03-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi!

I made this image in Maya 5! It's the Beryllium atom. The design of it is based on the string theory. I doubt in real life they are this colorful. :)

Key:

Protons: The bluish balls.
Neutrons: The yellowish balls.
Electrons: The green closed strings.

http://joshuanitschke.saber-x.com/CGTALK/final/Beryllium.jpg

Comments are wanted and appreciated. I'll be rendering a larger version of this scene tonight (it takes a really long time to render). Let me know if you are interested in seeing it.

Virum

Z1K0B4
03-03-2004, 10:38 PM
wow. I'm very impressed, but i admit i dont have a clue what i'm looking at or how this was created. i'd love to see a larger image, and an explanation of the process. i'll have to google this "Beryllium atom".

Virum
03-03-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm working on a larger render right now. I'll post it here when it's done.

This is just a render of an atom; since it has four protons, it is a Beryllium attom. I'll post how I did it soon.

JoppeBakke
03-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Yeah! Physics rules!

I'm a student Appied Physics. I thought I knew a great deal about Physics, but string theory is really out of my league!
Only thing I know about it is that you work with 12 dimensions and that sorta weird stuff.

Great work though. Can we see some formulas? :)

btw: Be(1s^2 2s^2)

Virum
03-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Here is the highres image:

http://joshuanitschke.saber-x.com/CGTALK/final/berylliumHighRes.jpg

SidewinderX143
03-04-2004, 03:41 AM
very cool!

my only comment is this, and I might be wrong, it's a while since i've opened a chemistry book...

Don't the elections occupy shells around the nucleus? Like the 1s 2s 2p 3s 3p etc shells?

Virum
03-04-2004, 03:48 AM
You are sort of correct. According to my chemistry book, atoms follow orbitals that go by those names, each one requiring more energy to orbit in than the previous (almost true, it's a little more complicated). These atom's can travel anywhere inside its orbital shape.

Anyhow, as far as I can tell, these orbitals aren't visible.

http://cougar.slvhs.slv.k12.ca.us/~pboomer/chemlectures/ch9orbitals1.jpg

In my book orbital "p" is like "d" without two of the side "tears."

jcbray
03-04-2004, 05:09 AM
The shell diagrams are just a way of explaining that if an atom has more electrons, the ones further away need more energy to stay there, so as energy is taken away, they are theoretically closer to the nucleus. It's used more as a way of teaching the idea of how it all works, atoms don't actually exist in energy 'shells' like that.

As for the orbitals, well every electron just tries to stay as far form the other one as possible, all electrons (in matter) have a negitive pole, so they repel each other. The electrons are also in constant motion, the orbit they have is called the electron cloud.

(yr 11 chem, hope i remembered that all correctly :| )

Virum
03-04-2004, 06:31 AM
If I get anymore interest in this, I'll post how I made it, otherwise I probably won't bother.

Why is it so hard for me to get some good critiques? I have over 250 views and only 3 replies. Am I missing something?

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to comment. :)

jcbray
03-04-2004, 06:37 AM
Well, from a critique point of view, i don't have anything to say, it looks fine to me, i mean, it's not a very complex design afterall. Back to the atomic stuff though, I believe that protons and neutrons are locked in stasis, only the electrons move freely, so the orbital kind of shape you have for them might need to be more round, rather then as if it's following a circular path.

my two cents.

btw, what are the red things? or is that a colour mixing? seems odd, or u just left it off the colour key....though i dun know what else you'd have in ur atom.

Virum
03-04-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by jcbray
Well, from a critique point of view, i don't have anything to say, it looks fine to me, i mean, it's not a very complex design afterall. Back to the atomic stuff though, I believe that protons and neutrons are locked in stasis, only the electrons move freely, so the orbital kind of shape you have for them might need to be more round, rather then as if it's following a circular path.

my two cents.

Well, I guess that would explain the lack of critiques I guess. :)

You are right about the design being not very complex, I didn't post the scene "wireframe" because I was too embarrassed; it's so simple....I just thought it was really cool.

I don't have the protons and neutrons animated, so I don't quite understand what you mean that they look like they are following a circular path.... Could you clarify?

Edit:

Ahh, the red things are part of the neutrons. Before I did this project I read up on the latest atom theories. They say that each proton and neutron are made up of smaller particles called quarks, and these particles are actually moving, closed strings.

The proton is made up of three quarks: blue, light blue, and purple.

The neutron is made up of three quarks: yellow, orange, and red.

jcbray
03-04-2004, 06:45 AM
i was aware it wasn't animated :P:P hehe, no, just the circular strings gives me the impression that something is moving very quickly along that path...and this should be happening for electrons, just for the nucleus of the atom, the protons and neutrons are static, they don't move, so i'd have thought those objects would appear more as sphere's then horus' or whatever they're called..torus' maybe, i dunno.

And i didn;t mean anything offensive saying it was a simple design, there was or is a whole art movement based on achieving simplicity :P just saying that it's hard to note a lot of things about an image that doesn't have such high amounts of detail. Besides, I simply don't have anything very negitive to say about ur work, its simple but it does look cool.

EDIT: You might like to edit the orange and red colours too, just so they stand out more, to me i can't tell the difference between the two. (should really be another post but i can't be bothered :))

Virum
03-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by jcbray
i was aware it wasn't animated :P:P hehe, no, just the circular strings gives me the impression that something is moving very quickly along that path...and this should be happening for electrons, just for the nucleus of the atom, the protons and neutrons are static, they don't move, so i'd have thought those objects would appear more as sphere's then horus' or whatever they're called..torus' maybe, i dunno.

And i didn;t mean anything offensive saying it was a simple design, there was or is a whole art movement based on achieving simplicity :P just saying that it's hard to note a lot of things about an image that doesn't have such high amounts of detail. Besides, I simply don't have anything very negitive to say about ur work, its simple but it does look cool.

EDIT: You might like to edit the orange and red colours too, just so they stand out more, to me i can't tell the difference between the two. (should really be another post but i can't be bothered :))

Well, I'm basing the image on the string theory, which is basically that all matter is made up of moving strings...I was just trying to convey that.

I wasn't offended by the simplicity comment, I was just saying why I hadn't originally posted it. :) And thanks for saying it's cool.

Thanks for the color tips. :)

Virum
03-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Joppe_Bakke
Yeah! Physics rules!

I'm a student Appied Physics. I thought I knew a great deal about Physics, but string theory is really out of my league!
Only thing I know about it is that you work with 12 dimensions and that sorta weird stuff.

Great work though. Can we see some formulas? :)

btw: Be(1s^2 2s^2)

Whoa, that's wierd. Your post is in the middle of this thread,

Well, I'm only 16, so I'm not that smart. I didn't even know about string theory until a few days ago; a friend gave me the idea. I don't know a whole lot about it myself.

Formulas? What kind?

Yeah, those are the correct orbits. Thanks!

Here is how this scene works:

http://joshuanitschke.saber-x.com/CGTALK/final/Beryllium_how.jpg

JoppeBakke
03-07-2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Virum
Whoa, that's wierd. Your post is in the middle of this thread,

Well, I'm only 16, so I'm not that smart. I didn't even know about string theory until a few days ago; a friend gave me the idea. I don't know a whole lot about it myself.

Formulas? What kind?

Yeah, those are the correct orbits. Thanks!

Here is how this scene works:

The reson why my post just appeared between the other posts is because this is one of my first posts and it had to be checked by one of the moderators.

About the physics on this topic: I thought about it and maybe you should change String Theory into Quantum Physics. If you know not too much to nothing about this topic I sincerely advice to to change its title. String Theory is at this moment one of the most complicated topics in theoritical physics.
The visualisation you made fits into Quamtum Physics(which is much more simple as well).

However, the result you achieved is nonetheless astonishing.
Great Work!

EDIT: removed pic from post

XxBrianxX
03-07-2004, 04:54 AM
wow thanks for physics lesson.. gee its purdy..bright colors oooooooooooooooooooooo... :applause: :beer: cheers..

i like it, its cool....

SpaXe
03-07-2004, 04:58 AM
WEll its path is just like an "e-"
so i don't know how to say it, but it's really cool^^
may i see how to do it?(i can't see the picture>_<"||....)
:thumbsup:

Virum
03-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Joppe_Bakke
The reson why my post just appeared between the other posts is because this is one of my first posts and it had to be checked by one of the moderators.

About the physics on this topic: I thought about it and maybe you should change String Theory into Quantum Physics. If you know not too much to nothing about this topic I sincerely advice to to change its title. String Theory is at this moment one of the most complicated topics in theoritical physics.
The visualisation you made fits into Quamtum Physics(which is much more simple as well).

However, the result you achieved is nonetheless astonishing.
Great Work!

Joppe:

Well, thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I don't know much about quantum physics either.....I just based this on very basic string theory (I did about six hours of research). For some reason CGTalk didn't e-mail me when you replied, so I'm sorry about the delay.

XxBrianxX:
Thanks!

SpaXe:
e-?

You must have caught me when I was updating the pic. Its up now, but basically this is how I did it:

I made lots of toruses. I turned them into softbodies and applied a turbulence field. I animated each one to twirl, and then grouped them in groups to make protons and neutrons. Created electrons pretty much the same way, and animated basic orbitals. I then applied a shader and did a motion blur render.

OperaFan1981
03-08-2004, 07:39 AM
When you mentioned that there are so many views and seldom comments. You posted in the Finished work so unless the reviewers find any errors, they will just move on to the next gallery image. I have read else where on CG Talk, that if you want your images to be given feedback, state how you want the reviewers to give you feedback.

As for your creative and colorful image, I have nothing to add other to say great job! Really! I am glad that a young person like yourself is interested in physics.

Yeah! Physics rules!I'm a student Appied Physics. I thought I knew a great deal about Physics, but string theory is really out of my league!

I am studying Biophysics. :beer:

Virum
03-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by OperaFan22
When you mentioned that there are so many views and seldom comments. You posted in the Finished work so unless the reviewers find any errors, they will just move on to the next gallery image. I have read else where on CG Talk, that if you want your images to be given feedback, state how you want the reviewers to give you feedback.

Thank you! That will helps me a lot!

As for your creative and colorful image, I have nothing to add other to say great job! Really! I am glad that a young person like yourself is interested in physics.

Thanks again! Having nothing wrong with it is a good thing! :) I hope to make better art as time progresses though...

meatpuppet
03-08-2004, 11:34 PM
what you've done is visualize something that is physically impossible to 'see'.

atoms are way smaller than the visible wavelengths of light so given that it wouldn't be possible to photograph a beryllium atom i think you've done a very nice job of 'creating' how it looks.

i could see this as part of a quantum physics tv special or such...

- meatpuppet has spoken

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.