PDA

View Full Version : The Coldest Day, Chris Anderson (2D)

Chris Anderson
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/72397/coldest_day_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/72397/coldest_day.jpg)

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I've come here from time to time to check out a lot
of the amazing art work presented on here.

This is my first post, an illustration I did for Expose' and Spectrum called, "The Coldest Day".
This is my first attempt at a fully finished illustration with more than just a character, done in photoshop.

Some of you may have seen this already, but my friends JoshtheJames and
Sean McNallyism told me I should post some of my work here, plus I've always wanted to join this cool community.

Crits are definitly welcome.

-Chris

buzzz3d
03-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Hi Chris!

Welcome to CG-Talk,

Very good painting. Nice colors, very dynamic pose and perspective.

The only thing I can say is: I want to see more of your work :)

Cheers,

Erik
Current pic on CGTalk (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1174678#post1174678)

OrcOYoyo
03-04-2004, 12:30 AM
A realy very good Painting.
I like most of the picture very much.
the clours you used the torn dress, the expression on her face and this (Zombie?)-Raven. Also the trees covered with snow.

What i like less are the clean and sharp edges of the buildings and the wall.
Also her feet look a bit hobbitish but thats a matter of taste i guess :D

Kepp up the great work and show us more of them :bounce:

MrFace
03-04-2004, 02:30 AM
wow very beautiful! she reminds me of susan sarandon :) a tough, stunning woman.

i agree with orkoyoyo on the background being a bit to crisp... though i like how you brought down the level of detail back there.

do you notice a little qhosted shape around her left calf? was that intentional?

Mahlikus
03-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Welcome.

this is awesome work Chris!

Tau32
03-04-2004, 02:51 AM
great work, i especially love the water splash effect from the axe!

Aaron
03-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Nice image =) Ditto what everyone else has already said. The only thing I can add to it is that the water seems a bit viscous. At first glance I thought it was frozen. (But at second glance I realized just how sweet the image really is. Bravo!)

Welcome to CGTalk!

Cheers,
-Aaron.

EricUNSL
03-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Nice. One of the strongest works I've seen from you. Really like the narrative. Waiting to hear back from spectrum is torture. One month to go. Good Luck.

What I meant is that it was one of the strongest digital paintings I've seen from him. I know all about his concept work and other skills from hanging out at conceptart site for the past two years or so. From Reading his posts on his reference gathering and saying that it was his first attempt at a full and finished illustration, the results show. please don't get upset from me expressing my POV Joshua.

JOSHUAtheJAMES
03-04-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Eric UNSL
One of the strongest works I've seen from you.

Beh...

His drawings skills on the same level or in some instances better. His skills have always been there. Some people just respond more to colour. It's quite silly actually. Being able to smoosh some paint around is nothing more than presentation.

I just hate to hear people 'only' giving respect once they see a well resolved painting. Paint is icing, not the definitive attribute of an artist.

Eric I hope you don't take that wrong...I'm really not trying to call you out.

peace,

-Joshua

JOSHUAtheJAMES
03-04-2004, 03:22 AM
Chris Post those Drawings...either in Here or in another Thread...

You can't edit the title of your thread.

-Joshua

swardson
03-04-2004, 03:25 AM
I love the water on the axe and around her feet. Very well drawn. The pose, style, color pallette, feel is awesome. Great job.

Vedic-kings
03-04-2004, 03:30 AM
Woow, awesome!

I love the energy and atmosphere, as well as the anatomy done on the main chrarcter.

I hope to see more of your work! :beer:

jrwells
03-04-2004, 03:30 AM
This is just top shelf work, plus I took a look around your website and I really dig your style, and cannot wait to see what you produce in the future when you do "push" yourself.

My only crit is that the water looks amazing, but there is not distrotion on the view of the feet through the water, they are just colored differently, which might have been a good way to go, but does seem a bit off to me.

KeepItEvil
03-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Dude that picture rocks!

Love the feeling of fear, very nice.

although the bird seems a bit out of place, for some reason i think she would be trying to swat at it of it was that close to her face.

just a thought.

kodinaarian
03-04-2004, 03:49 AM
welcome to the forum

and great work, like everyone says
:buttrock:
but i am curious to know the theme behind the scene.
is she killing herself ?
and she seems as she doesnt want to end her life.
and also please explain her connection with the
figures seen in the background.
:thumbsup:

dmcgrath
03-04-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by JOSHUAtheJAMES

I just hate to hear people only giving respect once they see a well resolved painting. Paint is icing, not the definitive attribute of an artist.

I agree to a certian extent, I checked Chris' site and was really impressed with his drawings as well. Although, a well rendered painting is vastly more enjoyable to look at. And a testament to mastery in the art form.

On the image Chris posted, I have a few nit picks. Her inner thigh area looks bloody under the nightgown, is this necessary? It feels very strange (to me)...

And the axe head isn't looking too symmetrical. Something about it looks strange to me too. Maybe too much smaller than the other side? Even allowing for foreshortening.

LordDubu
03-04-2004, 04:14 AM
So now that she's been scratched doesn't that mean she's gonna zombie out?

JOSHUAtheJAMES
03-04-2004, 04:23 AM
"And a testament to mastery in the art form."

Mastering paint is one! of the many things to be mastered. In a well rounded artist the ability to paint should be assumed.

-Joshua

Panupat
03-04-2004, 04:37 AM
Very nice rendering. But in a cold weather like that I'm expecting to see some ice flakes in the water. Also her face should turn pale and her mouth turn purple-grey :O she looks so warm right now.

sizzlebits
03-04-2004, 05:41 AM
excellent. Very dynamic. I really get a sense of impending doom. One thing I think could be improved is simply adding more shadow.

Hugh
03-04-2004, 07:50 AM
I really like it - it has a definite Resident-Evil style feel to it....

When I look at it, I get the feeling that she's lying in ambush for the zombies you can see in the distance, but that the bird is pretty much giving away that she is there...

I do have one small crit with the pose.... The water streaming off the axe implies that it is moving upwards, but her arm positions seem to be saying that they're relaxed - I can't quite convince myself that she is actually pulling it up.......

Would love to see more of you work!

Tommy Lee
03-04-2004, 08:29 AM
A warm welcome to cgtalk!

Excelent work u have done here:thumbsup:
1st post and allready on frontpage, now thats a start!!!!!:beer:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

ShinChanPu
03-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Original and fresh painting....

But I think that the girl should hold the axe on the other side, because now the zombies can see it and cause it would be better in order to throw it against them. ;)

Welcome to CGTalk!

vincentvv
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM
I think it has a "Vampirella`ish" feel...
Stylish, it kind off reminds me of spanish comics from the 80`..like art done by Esteban Maroto...
Choice gallery maybe?

Garma
03-04-2004, 09:31 AM
amazing. You managed to capture a very cool emotion. The water breaks the mood a little. I love the way you did the black bird.

Kel Solaar
03-04-2004, 10:00 AM
This picture is beautifull. Love The mood and the color choice. I have just browsed your site, your drawing style is very nice :)

Madison
03-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Really good buddy, well done.
:applause:

rayboy
03-04-2004, 01:04 PM
It's well done but it reminds me of a Christmas card!

Also having looked at a lot of CG fantasy stuff I think that all these women are stereotyped - always half naked, scared, vulnerable, confronted by huge penis-like monsters etc, etc.

Says more about the artists than the subject?

Hamsterhead
03-04-2004, 01:19 PM
This picture is awesome!, I love the splashes of water and the poses you have going,

I'm someone who prefers an "Illustrative" style and this is the first time that I haven't been able to take my eyes away from a picture, I just keep coming back to it,

which is strange because at first glance I didn't think much of it, now I can't stop looking

UK3D
03-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Top notch feeling to this image. I like how confident the style is and the composition works well. My only nigle is those odd arches? They distract me from the main subject. Darn good painting.:thumbsup:

JOSHUAtheJAMES
03-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by rayboy

Says more about the artists than the subject?

NOT at all in the way you are suggesting.

This is the only piece he has with this specific subject matter.

-Joshua

rayboy
03-04-2004, 07:13 PM
It was no accusation, it was a question.

Also I said :-

"Also having looked at a lot of CG fantasy stuff I think that all these women are stereotyped - always half naked, scared, vulnerable, confronted by huge penis-like monsters etc, etc.

Says more about the artists than the subject?"

A lot of SciFi/Fantasy shows this stuff - teenage wishful thinking mostly. I'm not picking on this particular artist - just the genre.

Don't you think it's a bit sad and degrading?

Chris Anderson
03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all the compliments everyone! And thanks for all the thoughtful critiques!! It's good to be here on Cgtalk!

Josh - I've known you for 5 or 6 years and I've always admired your art abilities. You have the eye of a great critic, and the things you say about my work when I first show em always pushes me to do better, no matter how small or challenging the problem.

Eric UNSL - I'm honored to see you post here! I've liked your work ever since I first saw it on conceptart, at least I think thats where I saw it a while ago. I especially like the one painting you did 'Return To UnderWater City." I'm glad you like my painting! Yeah, it's been torture waiting to hear back from Spectrum, or Expose' for that matter. I can't wait to see the results!

OrcOYoyo - Thanks man! And yeah, the buildings are a bit sharp. I wasn't sure how blurred out or sharp I really needed to make them while I was painting it. I thought they worked before but I see what I would do differently now.

MrFace - Susan Sarandon. Thats funny you say that because I used to have a crush on her when I was younger, even though she is kinda old now. Haha, the ghost shape around her calf, I wish I could say it was intentional.

jrwells - Your right, I should have added more distortion on the feet to make the color difference make more sense. I wasn't sure how much distortion to make, one of the feet on certian spots have blurred edges, but it wasn't enough. I'm glad you like my style, I'm currently on the verge of 'pushing' myself with some current projects.

KeepItEvil - Thats a great idea actually, to have had her swatting at the bird. That would have adding so much more emotion now that I think about it. Ah, in the next illustration, I'll be thinking more indepth about how the drama should be played in the piece.

kodinaarian - Glad you asked. The theme behind the scene is, she's not trying to kill herself, she's trying to escape from phantoms in zombie-like form. Her connection with the figures scene in the background is, the phantoms are both spirit-like, and real, and they've just killed most everyone in the small (isolated) town behind her. Last night was a terrible battle. Her husband and others fought hard to try and escape. The creatures even ripped her dress, almost killing her. This early morning, she is no longer protected by the last of the men, the children are gone, and the other women are no where to be seen. It is only her, and her axe, in her torn night gown. And she trys to escape with her life.

dmcgrath - Ah, the inner thigh wasn't suppose to look bloody, it's suppose to be in shadow. I knew somoething was off in that area. It was difficult to imagine what that area would look like with that dress, in that lighting. Your right about the axe, it's a little too foreshortened. Next time I'll make sure I make metal shapes and things of that nature, more structured.

Hugh - About the arms, yeah, I realized that was a problem after I finished the axe and the water on the axe. This painting definitly taught me the valuab;e lesson to pay close attention to the logic of what your illustrating before you complete it.

Rayboy - You said, "Also having looked at a lot of CG fantasy stuff I think that all these women are stereotyped - always half naked, scared, vulnerable...Says more about the artists than the subject?"

Thats an interesting comment. When I painted this, I wanted to paint an attrative woman in fear because it's a beautiful moment in time to try and capture, and I always wanted to try and create a painting of it. Capturing certian aspects of beauty of different types of women in itself is challenging. I like to capture life and energy, and movement in general. I agree that there are artists that stereotype women to be scared, vunerable, half naked, etc. Not all women are attractive. Not all women are vunerable, some are very tough and have masculine traits. Some never get scared or show any emotion at all besides anger. I'm not trying to stereotype women with this, I usually create female characters who can handle themselves, but, they are still feminine and cute tho :D

Hamsterhead - Thanks, I'm flattered.

UK3D - Yeah, I thought there was something unfinished about the arches.

To everyone I didn't say anything, thanks for the responses! I'm greatful. I think my computer is about to shut off cause of a storm.

-Chris

JaKaL
03-05-2004, 01:34 AM
This is a great image! :beer:

Did anyone else notice the hidden skull image formed by her dress? :cool:

apex
03-05-2004, 11:30 AM
:buttrock: Nice n' dark and twisted. Concept-wise, I think it is great. Has a good "nightmare" feel to it. As far as overall art work done in PS, great job, nice styling with the illustration. Look forward to seeing more. Kudos :thumbsup:

kenrem

hesido
03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Plugged on your first attempt; cool :)

Just a little refraction effect with a sharp smear to the feet would really help. Nice composition.. But if she is tryin to hide, she'd better throw that axe away, you can see it 90 miles away without binoculars :)

the178
03-06-2004, 06:52 PM
This is a great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

khaleghi
03-10-2004, 06:08 PM
wow that is realy ammazing work here.:applause:

nikana
03-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Is this an adaptation on, "That's where grandpa hit her with the axe" ???

Intonater
04-29-2004, 04:26 AM
Great work!
I love this ambience.

doublerr
07-08-2004, 04:22 PM
nice, cool and cold , EXECELLENT!!!

maddness
07-26-2004, 03:35 AM
reminds me a lot of a half naked parasite eve

Common Terry
11-10-2004, 08:52 PM
I remember seeing this before and liking it. I still like it. Great piece! Really like the pesky bird.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.