PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Processor Thread Settings

studiomiguel
01-25-2002, 06:49 PM
What should my settings be on my thread count if I have a Dual 450 G4? I read in the documentation somewhere {ltw's} that I should set my thread count to two if I have two processors.... recent discoveries however have show this to me a misnomer however.
Suggestions????
MIguel

studiomiguel
01-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Does anyone even use the multi-thread setting? I went to the Ltw Mac user forum (which is great) and all I got was the suggestion to test some different settings.
My results were that higher settings (i.e. 6-8 threads) do actually produce faster renders. A scene that had combined upwards of 80,000 polys sub-d'd at 3 with multiple volumetric lights rendered in 21 minutes when my thread count was set to 2 threads. By cranking it up to 8 threads I accomplished the same render in about 7 minutes......
It was suggested though that when working at smaller resolutions and quickshade renders to crank it back down since smaller data streams will actually be hindered by taking the time to split the stream into mulitiple threads. Seems reasonable to me.

erikals
06-01-2002, 04:22 PM
:hmm:
Don't know too much about this, just bought a dual PC motherboard myself. However NewTek recommends that various multithreading options are tested. Sometimes more threads will render faster, even though you only use 2 processors.

The results you got seems kind of weired though. It's strange that it renders so much faster by increasing the thread number to more than 2. Strange.

Sorry I haven't been able to test it. Just got the system yesterday.

Erik

RudeYuut
06-01-2002, 05:41 PM
I know this is off the subject, but where is the mac lightwave user forum?

erikals
06-01-2002, 05:45 PM
is there one?

Closest match would be
http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/

it even looks "Macish":)
or try newtek.com

Erik

studiomiguel
06-01-2002, 11:13 PM
I always considered this a cross platform forum... I use a mac and lightwave. Just because the bulk of my companions are pc users doesn't make me unwelcome here.
BTW, I've gotten stellar results cranking up the thread count on my more intense scenes.
Caio!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.