PDA

View Full Version : rigging a tail

belly80naz
03-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Someone know the best way to rig a tail? I've tried with an IK spine handle, and cluster in every point of the curve, but I don't think this is the best way.

OnFooT BuG
03-03-2004, 01:40 PM
as I know ,u also can control it by particle.

belly80naz
03-03-2004, 04:27 PM
What do you mean about particles control?
I want to animate a cat's tail like the image describe.

john_homer
03-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by belly80naz
What do you mean about particles control?

OnFooT BuG probably means that you can get some secondary animation with particles...

ie. make a curve, animate it by whatever means, then make a softbody from it (using the animated curve as a goal)

as for the tail controlls... I would suggest looking at the schleifer style spine, understanding it... then create a tail with similar techniques that will give you the specific control that you need..

or if you just wanna keep it simple, and dont have access to that info..

look into, creating spline IK, where the curve has a cluster for each CV, and parenting those to controlls.. and arranging those controlls hirachy to give your required control...

.j

monsoon3d
03-04-2004, 06:27 PM
mh...what do you think of using a wiredeformer for the tail ?
Im working on a cat-like character (finished modelling right now) and Im planning how to make the rig.
As it has a really long tail - about 10 times longer than the character itself - I did some tests to find a good compromise between the handling and the technical aspect.
First I used a spline-IK and now I tried using one curve as wire deformer. I created clusters for the curve-vertices and constrained the curve to the object. By doing this I can allways switch off the constrain, so the curve wont move any longer with the character. So, when I have a nice twist and let the character run past the screen, the tail can move/deform along the shaped curve.

Id like to know from you, If this method is technical a clear way for a rig ? (I havent seen the schleifer-style spine, yet)

thx

-t-

john_homer
03-04-2004, 08:03 PM
wire deformer is an interesting idea... I would be interested in memory and speed comparisons between that and spline IK -> soft bind...

you will loose some control with not being able to weight the wire, but if the wire deformer just gives a default perfect result, then thats not a problem..

you will also not be able to "twist" the tail with this technique...
.j

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.