PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Joint

mrMotion
03-03-2004, 10:15 AM
what is the reason that I should not use "Mirror Joint". I know I get negative translate X, but why is this a problem?

I have made alot of riggs and have never encountered a problem with this. Also; when using the "Mirror Joint" I get symetrical rotation, which I think is a good thing when animating...

---
www.mrmotion.net

dwalden74
03-03-2004, 10:26 AM
The only time this would be a problem is if you want to build a rig with stretchy joint options, which in most cases will act on the translation values of the joint (ie, if itīs negative it could be a problem).

Otherwise it shouldnīt be a problem.

With my dwRiggingTools (http://www.davidwalden.com) scripts, the length of the joint also determines the size of the FK control object that is created, and if the joint has a negative length value the control objs will be incorrect (although this could be fixed by taking the absolute value of the length... the main problem, like I said, is with stretchy joints).

-David

mrMotion
03-03-2004, 11:14 AM
okay...

I usually use the scale of the joints; the scale is driven by the distance between the hip and the ankle, and the distanse which is the max distanse the leg can have whitout stretching... like this:
ikLegSquachNStretsh.zip (http://www.mrmotion.net/storedyret/ikLegSquachNStretsh.zip)

I don't like the deformation I get if I use translation.

---
www.mrmotion.net

dwalden74
03-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Yeah, you can do it with both methods. In many ways using the scale is even easier to set up, īcause everything is based on the scale value of 1. The first version I did of dwRiggingTools used this approach, but I ran into some problems with the IK handles I believe, so I removed that functionality (canīt remember right now exactly what the problem was). I wanted ideally for the user to choose how he wanted the stretch.

:beer:
David

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.