PDA

View Full Version : Metaparticles

DogmaD
03-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Hello!

I have programmed a particle system in directx + C++. I want to extend this particlesystem, so it supports metaparticles. The problem is, that I have a hard time finding anything relevant in books or on the internet.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me, where to find the theory behind metaparticles?

Thanks!

playmesumch00ns
03-03-2004, 01:54 PM
I think you want to be searching for "blobbies" or "implicit surfaces" rather than metaparticles. Never heard of metaparticles before but I'm guessign that's what you mean.

DogmaD
03-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks. I noticed that afterwards. I have started working on metaballs and i will implement them in a particle system. This to research if they can represent liquids. Have you ever implemented such a system?

stoo
03-03-2004, 05:04 PM
I remember seeing an Image Of The Day on www.flipcode.com which IIRC used 2d metaballs to represent a water volume (or the surface of it).. Ah yes, I've found it here:

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=06-25-2002&forum=iotd&id=-1

Theres a bit of explaination there as well which might help expand it to a 3d system.

cheers,
stoo

DogmaD
03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Thanks stoo, I will look into it. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.