PDA

View Full Version : "Concertina" effect for chins/rubber joints

Nemises
07-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Hi all :)..
Fisrt post, so go easy on me ;)

I was whatching Martin Krol's Time lapse modelling vid's, and saw an effect I had wondered how was achieved.

On the Chin of his "Freak" model, and the neck of his "post apocalyptic Tiger" there were "concertina" like folds, that compressed and expanded wonderfully when animated, but only using one bone. (ie, as the mouth opens, the chin skin folds up nicely without any surface penetration).

I had allways wondered how that effect was achieved, and the details go by too fast in the Vid's for me to catch.
I use 3ds MAx 4 , and Maya 4 (learning), was wondering if anyone could enlighten me how this is done.

I suspect it is done with vertex clusters and weighting, but Martin achieved teh effect wiothout seeming to assign any weights to individual vertex's (perhaps it is a "special feature" of Mirai?).

Any way, if anyone has an easy explaination of how its done, I would be very appreciative :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.