PDA

View Full Version : July Challenge Official Guidelines - Through July 4th - August 4th[Updated July 4th]

lildragon
07-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Hi again everyone, welcome to our 5th WIP challenge...
This time we're getting back to our roots, we're going back to what made these challenges fun in the first place... ;)

This month's Challenge is entitled "Beast Of Burden"

Here is what was stated as the final rules for the BoB Challenge

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
The final rules for this 5th challenge are

1) must be able to carry heavy loads
2) horns are optional
3) must have harness
4) has to haul something(ie. a contraption from it's owner, or even a boulder)
5) can't be humanoid
6) should carry trinkets, suited by owner (ie. artifacts, insignia's)
7) NO textures (optional: will not be judged)
8) must show ONE emotion from the following - tired / angry /
stubborn / straining
9) Bumpmaps are allowed BUT only for things that would be impractical to model, for example... Wood grain, brick, bark, scratches or rock surfaces
10) Basic default shading colors are allowed

For non character modelers, don't worry you're not forgotten, if you choose not to model a beast, you can opt for a vehicle/contraption a beast of burden would haul, this will have to be extremely detailed, since the character modelers will be doing the same, though only your piece will be voted on.

- it must have a harness, so it looks like it's being pulled by an animal/beast

*side note* if any character modeler wishes to have their own
contraption in the final voting for that particular category, you can do so but without the beast.
Vehicle will be changed to "contraption" for readibilty

============================================================
The Challenge starts July 4th and will run till August 4th Midnight EST

additional notes:

2D challenges will have the handicap of adding depth by shading their characters/contraptions, you should make a model sheet (though not required of perspective view + detail views )

3D
- just modeling and rigging(for posing purposes, though you can model your entry posed), textures are a plus but will not be judged.
- All final entries should be posed and remain untextured for voting.
*Please note* this doesn't mean you CANNOT texture during the challenge
in your own threads, it just means this will not be the focus at the end of the challenge.
- Please provide some form of concept art, a doodle is fine.
- Render from a few different point of views so we can see details.

Remember that this is a WIP challenge, so it is a requirement to show the steps you used, maps e.t.c , e.t.c and help out as much as you can, of course you're not obligated to, but it will help those that need it greatly.

There are however some restrictions to prevent unnecessary issues:

Images with a direct outside linking should NOT exceed the size of either 800x600 or 600x800 . . . If you want to show a larger formatted picture, do so using a link to the image . . . we have to keep in mind that there are still people with small monitors and slow connections.
Important, Please DONOT use any models prior to the challenge start date, start from scratch. If it's evident you used an old model, you will be told to remove and start over.
----------------------------------------------------------

When you begin a new thread please use the following syntax

Beast of Burden - Character/contraption - [your name]

And that's it,

have fun all

jeroentje
07-04-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by lildragon
2D challenges will have the handicap of adding depth by shading their characters/contraptions, you should make a model sheet (perspective view + detail views )

Shading... ehm that won't be a problem :) That's what drawing 2D is all about anyway.

But what the hell is a model sheet?
Do I understand correctly, that you want us to do different angles? Don't hope so... I don't want to make more then one drawing.

Or do you mean you want to see some details from the one big painting?
In that last case we have to put up different atachements in our postings. Afraid that will be a little confusing for the moderators, because they can't even get track of ONE final pic (I know of at least 3 of us getting the wrong pic linked to the end-poll in the may/june challenge).

jeroentje

lildragon
07-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Model sheets yeh are basically different angles, it's not a requirement though, cause I never seen any in any past challenges :)

cheers

Kirt
07-06-2002, 08:20 AM
Uhm ... I'm still confused on what is wanted for the 2D challengers. I'm used to seeing completed illustrations in the 2D section (including colors, composition, etc.) but it sounds like your planning on doing something more with this challenge in the future.

From the rules it sounds as if all that you want is a flat shaded turn around character sheet. Kinda' like this only shaded?

lildragon
07-06-2002, 10:11 AM
basically yeh, that's a guideline tho, having a full composition is more required these days, just go either or if you wish... no biggie

a su salud

Culann
07-06-2002, 08:10 PM
This is my first post, so bear with me... :hmm:

I was wondering if this is a digital-only challenge, or if the use of traditional media is acceptable. I'm not that well versed in digital art and was planning to do most of the work by traditional means, only slightly polishing the final image digitally....

But if that's a problem, I'll just have to think of something else :curious:

This is, after all, CG Talk :shrug:

-Culann-

OZ
07-07-2002, 11:29 PM
I Have a question! I dont have wacom tablet (i dont have tablet of any kind) so is very difficult 4 me work on this kind of challenge. Is possible to draw a pencil base and scan it,then continue the rest of work in 2d programs??

ronin
07-08-2002, 08:15 PM
3) must have harness
4) has to haul something(ie. a contraption from it's owner, or even a boulder)

what do those mean :p, english isnt my native 8p,
whats harness and what do u mean by Haul something
Push ?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.