PDA

View Full Version : I know this question probably has been asked before....

GuardianX
03-03-2004, 12:19 AM
I am new to CG Talks and am having a wonderful time. I'm looking into getting into modeling and i have a question.

I see all these awsome models and the people making awsome models and they show their concept(paintings, sprites, comics, etc.) and i was wondering if this is all they used? cause i tried to get into modeling before and every one recomended image planes. is that a must or should a reference image work? and what are some tutorials that could help me out in getting into game modeling?

Well i appriciate any help you huys give me and i hope to learn alot. thnaks in advance.

three
03-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi Guardian, welcome.

Most of us are using reference images I guess. A front and a side-view of the character you're going to do.
One plane set up in the Front viewport and one in the Side viewport (right, left).

When you're really sure about how the anatomy of a certain creature works, then you might not need those reference pictures. Only one concept of the character and you'll be able to work from that. Using your experience.

But remember, reference pictures isn't cheating. Most of the experienced modelers out there use "refs". It's a great way of keeping focus on the model.

Good luck out there.

(Um, and dude, your post might be in the wrong thread.)

GuardianX
03-03-2004, 08:09 PM
thanks for the advice three. I wan'st sure if his was the right forum or not but i figured a game modeling question should go here. sorry mods if i posted wrong. The only problem i have is I am not a good drawer by any means and i know no one who can draw. I've watch the concept art VTMs over at 3dbuzz but to no avail. i've found some sites with reference images on them but nothing that i think i can model is ever around. I also have trouble sizing the images in photoshop. ahhhh! im to new and there is a lot of stuff to do. :( oh well hard work pays off, i guess. Thanks again 3.

DaemonMagus
03-03-2004, 10:09 PM
I don't think that the apparent difficulty of modelling something should hold you back from using those reference images that you find. Some people think you should work up gradually, so that your interest in modelling stays high, but if you think that there is some limit to what you can do you will never pass it.

I've been in the fine arts magnet program for 4 years now, and just up until recently I never did a landscape because I thought it would be too difficult to put everything onto the page. After doing it I realized what I was missing out on, and how much progress I didn't make in an area that I could have done well in.

For sizing the images, as long as their proportional all you have to do is make the heights the same size, if they aren't proportional... you're on your own.

GuardianX
03-04-2004, 04:55 AM
thanks daemon. your right. I think i just didnt want to let my self down. but if i dont try i cant see. I'm gonna go find some images and get to work. Thnks you guys

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.