PDA

View Full Version : How tacky is this?

fattkid
03-02-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm gonna be applying for some entry level positions as a modeler and texture artist in the near future, and I was wondering if it is cool or not to show game assets rendered with Mental Ray. Or is there a more professional way of showcasing a game asset that would be more relevant or preferred? And how about showing (mostly done) works in progress. For example a done model with no texture. I'm sure showing WIPs is something you should try and not do, but if an opportunity comes up and you maybe need to act quickly, is it o.k.? Watchoo think?

Matt
03-02-2004, 09:23 AM
What we want:

Facet shaded view w/o texture
Smooth shaded view w/ highlights w/o texture
Smooth shaded view w/ texture

Polycount (triangulated) and other important information for each example.

Knowledge and application of advanced modelling and optimization techniques is always a plus. If your model is virtually flawless, with great tristrip continuation, excellent smoothing groups, etc. then we want to see this stuff.

Rendering something that is meant to be used in a live application is the complete wrong thing to do. There are live models which are meant to be viewed as the engine's live renderer specifies, and there are cut scene models which are not only high poly but they are meant to be rendered to stored frames.

Bottom line: Keep it simple, and don't render stuff with fancy options. It has the tendency of hiding the true work.

fattkid
03-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Cool. Thank you very much for your reply Matt.

Matt
03-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Renders that are acceptable are 360 spin-arounds as long as you've got antialiasing disabled for the rendered video file. These can really be avoided however, by making simple orthographic/directional views available for whatever it is you are displaying.

Posed views are not necessary, although they could show off any weakness in the model; For example - A model could look fine being perfectly stretched out as it was created, however perhaps when posed with the legs bent, part of the leg intersects with another part of the leg and appears unnatural.

fattkid
03-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Hey Matt, what about showing Works In Progress? Is that acceptable, or should it be avoided?

EvoG
03-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Fattkid, go ahead and submit the 'glamor render'(mental ray) along with the techincal images. In this day and age of light baking, seeing a low poly model rendered to look as good as possible is very relevent, and is among the things we look for. For our current project, we're baking down pretty much every aspect of of our renders that make the character look as good as possible.

Clients(employers) do want to see the characters in a capacity relevent to their engine of course. The producers on UXO didn't want us GI rendering our WIP's mainly because it just didn't matter since we weren't baking, and in fact later on just had us toss the characters in the UED and screen grab.

Either way, MR renders certainly aren't gonna hurt anything as long as you make sure and show the tech renders(Texture, Wire, Texture w/Wire overlay).

Cheers

Matt
03-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Just make sure you're not rendering effects. Texture baking is perfectly fine, and showing off your normal map skills is also good, as long as you do show the bare work itself... However make sure you leave out any crazy effects or shading that the engine will not be able to handle.

bentllama
03-03-2004, 09:44 AM
screenshots taken from in-engine are great to see as well...

with a lot of more advanced engines there is a tonnes fo work that goes on behind the scenes in shaders, lightmapping, bump specular and opacity maps, self-shadowing, etc, etc

CADster
03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
i agree with bentllama ... showing game assets that are 'in game' puts forth a very strong case that you can support games.

this is how i did it years ago .... i showed off a bunch of screen shots and they liked what they saw.

heh... i started making a new web site and i realized ive not rendered anything serious in over 3 years ..... ive grown lazy using real time engines

EvoG
03-03-2004, 08:09 PM
How come you wouldn't agree with me? I said the same thing a full day before llama! Oh well... :D

Yea, if you're applying for a gig in which you know the engine they may be using, sure maybe you'll snag an extra point for an in-engine shot, but you certainly won't lose any points 'not' doing in-engine shots. This day and age, exporters do all the work for you and is a fairly trivial process, and unless you're utilizing their particular methods to do the fancy stuff like specularity maps and alpha channels and bump, its arbitrary, especially if the employer is using their own in-house engine.

or

How about just make a great flipp'in model, abide by the low poly modeling conventions, and don't worry about all this little stuff. If you're good, I personally wouldn't care if you subitted it printed on a napkin you stuffed through your inkjet, as long as I can see you have potential. :)

Cheers

CADster
03-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by EvoG
How come you wouldn't agree with me? I said the same thing a full day before llama! Oh well... :D

because i never agree with management ;)

lol

EvoG
03-04-2004, 12:03 AM
But you do agree! ( See now thats ironic huh? ) :D

Cheers

CADster
03-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by EvoG
But you do agree! ( See now thats ironic huh? ) :D

Cheers

LOL !!!!

:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.