PDA

View Full Version : Character : Mystic girl

Mahamaya
03-02-2004, 07:44 AM
The first idea, reading Harry Potter 5, was to imagine adult Hermione. Rigged, and ready to be animated.
Here is the final render with Maya 4.5. http://www.dorje-pictures.net/mystic.jpg

Ruadhraigh
03-02-2004, 04:40 PM
This is a nice image. The key test of a portrait is 'do I believe that there is a person there' and you've achieved that.

It might be interesting to play with the size and position of the two stainless steel 'fangs' in the head-dress. I found them a little too dominant. Let's see if anyone agrees.

There is one small flaw in your otherwise excellent anatomy. The lower lip is composed of two muscular structures and, in most people, a hint of division can be seen down the centre. You've drawn it as a continuous sweep. But then again, if your aim is to create an image that is not quite Homo Sapiens, little 'mistakes' like that create an air of unease, suggesting that she is a changeling.

I'd love too see the animation.

xcvbnm
03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
The model is good, especially the eyes...
:love:

the upper lip can be a bit thin.
theres a strange spec on lips and corners of the mouth.
skin is too dry, some spec with bumps will do
perhaps you are using only one light, a stronger backlight highlighting the edges of the cloth and jaw line will be great..

good work ...
:thumbsup:

Mahamaya
03-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your usefull messages.
In fact, you're right for the lower lip anatomy, but I think it gives a little toon touch to the face.
The two stainless steel 'fangs' are leading the eye of the viewer to the eyes of the model which are, I think, the life touch of an organic model. (Fangs are a reference to j.boorman's Merlin in his famous "Excalibur" too !).

There is 3 lights in fact. 2 low lights top and behind at 45 degees, and 1 a front one. I wanted to make the face to birth from the shadow.

neoquark
03-03-2004, 07:32 AM
I only have one suggestion, I love the image overall.

I think a slight bump map on the lips and maybe lil mor eon the skin may bring the image out even more and decrease the plasticness of the lips. Other than that it is one of the best images I have seen of a face. The eyes are beautiful. Keep up the good work.
-Bryan aka Neoquark
http://neoquark.deviantart.com

Mahamaya
03-04-2004, 05:03 AM
yeah, I think you're right, even if I want to give this toony structure to the lips, I can work on texture and reflection to make it more realistic.

Ruadhraigh
03-04-2004, 01:00 PM
I've been looking more closely at people [I may get arrested soon!] and at my own old stuff. In most cases, the separation of the muscle structures in the lip was not obvious in the surface anatomy. It is only apparent in the way light reflects on lip gloss, since as you probably know, reflection doubles the angle.

So I had another look at your piece, to see what it was that made me say that. Yes, there is the kind of play of light on the lip that makes me 'see' a division, but it is slightly to the right of where it ought to be. So I misinterpreted it and withdraw the crit.

This is picking on a tiny detail, so put in the context of an overall very favourable impression.

UK3D
03-04-2004, 02:12 PM
The eyes are the strongest part for me. I find the lips a bit distracting not quite sure what you're going for? They seem a bit plastic compared to the skin.:shrug:

agreenster
03-04-2004, 03:26 PM
DEFINITELY put a bump map on the lips. (subtle)

Mahamaya
03-05-2004, 08:23 AM
I think it's better like this

http://www.dorje-pictures.net/mystic2.jpg

Supervlieg
03-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Nice, but the lips are still a bit weird. They should have a little wet look on them. Perhaps more specular?

Mahamaya
03-05-2004, 08:54 AM
You're right. It will be done this evening, after work (this picture is, unfortunately, from a personnal project.

iXaarii
03-05-2004, 01:37 PM
interesting lipstick. The cloack is too dark for me to tell details and the teeth there look kinda flat to me.

Mahamaya
03-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by iXaarii
interesting lipstick. The cloack is too dark for me to tell details and the teeth there look kinda flat to me.

Thanks.
I don't want to make "the perfect face, all well sized" like a california "silliconed" girl. Anatomy must be respected, and here it is.
For the darkness of the cloak, I said I wanted to make the face birth from the shadow.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.