PDA

View Full Version : Scene - Tragic Landing

Plays_4_Pants
03-02-2004, 06:22 AM
Hello everyone. Here's a couple of pics called "Tragic Landing." It takes place in Baghdad where America decided to land a Cathedral over a wrecked muslim graveyard via helicopters and chains. But as you can see, as it began to land some chains broke and the cathedral tipped creating a heck of a mess. This is a metaphor to my thoughts on how America imposes itself and its culture with seemingly good intentions, yet never plan things out.

This was made with Maya and mental ray with photoshop touch ups. I don't really care for the camera angle so I'll probably re-post this with a new dynamic perspective sometime this week and some close ups too...if you want me to.

Please critique and rate...I love suggestions on how I can get better. Heck that's why i'm here. :cool:
Oh, and I'm a student at BGSU...graduating soon so this will be my demo reel stuff. So it's double important for me.

Night Time

http://digitalarts.bgsu.edu/portfolios/tgreco/Tragic_Landing_Night1.jpg

Dawn (to the extreme)

http://digitalarts.bgsu.edu/portfolios/tgreco/Tragic_Landing_Dawn1.jpg

Garma
03-02-2004, 07:15 AM
nice work. I prefer the second. However, your explanation should be visible in the picture. It's not really clear from the picture that it's a cathedral though, and also not that this is baghdad. If you want to get a message through you need people to get it immediately on viewing.

nice work overall :)

rexfang
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
good job!

hmm..and i agree with Garma . Oh and I feel its kind of "flat" looking forn this view...maybe add an depth pass and give it more depth and also the foreground is kind of empty.

Faithbleed
03-02-2004, 08:42 AM
I really like this. I love the moody feel in the first pic, the second one however looks more like you edited the RGB levels in photoshop rather than actually changing the lighting of the scene (sorry if you actually did!) The second pic is waaaay too red, looks like a sunset. I think the dawn pic is missing sun rays casting down on the church, lighting up the nooks a crannies. But its a great job regardless. Keep working on it.

Joebount
03-02-2004, 09:49 AM
rocks are too glossy, really nice mood

niki
03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Wow ...great work... :thumbsup:

playmesumch00ns
03-02-2004, 11:39 AM
If it's culture you're trying to suggest, shouldn't that be a mosque rather than a cathedral? I wouldn't expect to see a cathedral in Baghdad. Also with regard to teh message, you might want something to make it more obvious... maybe a star's n stripes motif somewhere?

It''s not apparent that the chains are coming from helicopters. Could you put a helicopter or two in, or maybe just a shadow or two?

The lighting in the first pic is better, but it feels a little flat and uniform. You could try to break it up with more shadows, and use pools of light to draw attention to specific areas.

Plays_4_Pants
03-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the crits guys,

The picture is suppose to go with the story and not really stand alone. At first, I did want it to be totally self-explanatory but then I realized there's too much to say so I more or made a frame of the story. I mean, I didn't want to add an Uncle Sam and "Welcome to Baghdad" sign anywhere in this pic.

Yeah, it looks kinda flat right now, hopefully a camera angle that's more of a human perspective looking up will look cooler.

Playsmesumchoons - Adding helicopter shadows was something I never thought of that would be really cool. I don't really have time to do that, unless i can think of a quick trick. The idea of the story is that we westernize everything you're not supposed to expect a cathedral in baghdad, that's the point...so landing a mosque wouldn't make any sense. If anything this building might have taken the place of one. Also, I do actually have some red, white and blue banner action on the cathedral, but the way they're lighted, they just look like banners...hmm, maybe with some stars it'll show up better, or i'll rerender the flags and make them more colorful? I'll think of something,

Thanx again guys ;)

playmesumch00ns
03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Oh ok I misread your thingy - they're actually dropping the cathedral on a muslim graveyard.

And I can kinda see the red white and blue but I think you should put the stripes the other way - if anything it makes me think of france

zachgrachan
03-02-2004, 06:19 PM
I like the image, agree about the helicopter shadows being a good idea. maybe a wider shot with something recognizable in the background would show that this is in baghdad, or maybe part of the mosque poking out from underneath.

just to warn you, a politically charged demo reel might alienate some employers... if the guy watching the reels just got back from iraq, I don't know how well this message would go over...

Supervlieg
03-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Looks okay, if not for the glossy rocks. The message you were trying to convey wasnt clear to me from looking at the picture.

If you want this to be a statement you need more visible icons to bring the message across. Right now it seems more like level from unreal rather then a political picture.

Still a good pic though.

Plays_4_Pants
03-03-2004, 02:49 AM
thanx zachgrachan for the tip on the demo reel. I won't tell the back story to this picture when i add it, but more as supervlieg put it...it'll be more like a level from unreal than a policital statement. :D . Besides above all, it's supposed to be purty to look at

Matt
03-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Personally, I would fatten the chain links up a bit, instead of having them be flat.

fraa
03-03-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure that a realistic render is suitable for such a topic. imho, it's all a matter of adequacy between the medium and the message.

Your idea might be a good one, but it's not clear about your final intention. You say it will be part of a video ... do you plan to make a fake news report ? a fiction ?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.