PDA

View Full Version : Level 1

AdamMechtley
03-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Hello. This is a level I am currently working on (created in Maya), and I am preparing to implement it into my technology set (the final result will be lighted with light maps, vertex colouration, and stencil shadows for moveable objects). I am looking for critiques and suggestions with respect to its artistic qualities before I embark too heavily in the more technical aspects.

Top View (http://cherem.org/adam_hw/wip013.jpg)

At this point, one of the main things about which I am still unsure is the intensity of my sunlight. In some ways I like the feel it gives off, but it also looks like it may be pushed a bit too far. Anyway, enough talk from me. Thanks in advance for any help. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions that I did not cover.

http://cherem.org/adam_hw/wip009.jpg

http://cherem.org/adam_hw/wip010.jpg

http://cherem.org/adam_hw/wip011.jpg

http://cherem.org/adam_hw/wip012.jpg

Ogi
03-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Wow.!! Very Nice Design :D
Really like the cartoonish/fantasy style you have managed to bring out from this level.. :)

Cant belive that no one have give you any comment on this work.
I think it is awsome :D :D

Plzz keep us updated.
Keep Up The good work dude :D :D

Jason Park
03-02-2004, 04:24 PM
I like it a lot too! Very clean. :) It looks like N64 style to me. Great job!

Supervlieg
03-02-2004, 05:52 PM
I really like the cartoony style of the level. Real good job.

DirtEater
03-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Very hot stuff.

You obviously have a grasp of the "big picture," that is, models fitting with the level, fitting with textures, lighting, etc.

I love the yellow in the leaves.

The only thing I have to sugest is to maybe make the sloping paths a little more varied. Right now they look a little like ramps with organic textures, but I'm just nitpicking cause there is nothing else to point out!

Lets see more.

YerEvilTwin
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
What's the res of you Text maps? How many did you use? Does the river use a tileing avi for motion? what's the poly count of the whole level. What the On screen ploy count? How may polys is one tree and the bush? Can you run realtime shadows in you game engine? How many lights do you have? can we see your lighing set up? Is it polys or polies?

AdamMechtley
03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

YerEvilTwin: There are 44 texture maps ranging from 1x1 to 256x256 for terrain, most at 128x128 (with also one 512x512 for a part of the house, which will probably break up when I have time to go back to it, and one 512x512 projected for the character). Total file size is currently 792KB palletised PNG images. The river uses an animated UV offset in real-time with a tileable texture map (admittedly too hard to see in these renders, which is my fault for not changing them back to lambert shaders before rendering). The entire level is 47926 triangles, from a budget of 50000 (37022 vertices reported from Maya, 43073 UVs—no additional vertex separation, normals, materials, etc. occurs outside UV space). These figures include objects outside gameplay space to create parallax from the player's PoV not visible in these images. On screen the most triangles I have is approximately 20000 at the highest point of visibility, but it has not gone through enough testing to be certain on an exact figure. For my trees and bushes I have created two versions. The first version for each occurs in and near gameplay areas, with the second version occuring in scenery areas to add background and to double as the LOD mesh. The first versions are 486 and 89 triangles, respectively, and the second versions are 180 and 54, respectively. The shadows will be baked in as light maps for implementation, and the key light will be added in to create shadows for the character in real-time using stencil shadows. Following is the lighting setup used in Maya. Please let me know if you have any more questions (I hope I hit everything ;)).

http://cherem.org/adam_hw/lights.jpg

TRyanD
03-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Nice :)

IMO its a bit bright, but that will probably be fine if your running around in it.

Also, the colors seem a bit plain, maybee add some flowers or something thats not green or yellow heh.

Gibbz
03-03-2004, 08:56 AM
very nice love the look :D

MacLeod
03-03-2004, 10:20 AM
i like your style, good job.
keep it up

Zycho
03-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Awsome modelling!! Really like the toony/fantasy enviroment!!

BlackZ
03-03-2004, 04:33 PM
great environment!
the style is simply awesome, i luv it! it would fit perfectly into a chrono-trigger remake :D

wartorn
03-03-2004, 04:37 PM
im a very harsh critic when it comes to making models fit for games, and i can only say one thing, IT FITS!... Nice job.

Littleberu
03-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Looks a lot like Ratchet and Clank/Jak 2, I like! :)

heavyness
03-03-2004, 05:32 PM
first off, really nice stuff.

i would add a texture where the concrete meets the grass, just to make a nice transition.

and you said something about the sun. while it is bright, i thinks it's ok [for a sunny day] but i would make the shadows less dark. some of the darker areas are completely black, something you wouldn't see in a this type of environment.

keep up the good work.

pseudoBug
03-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Looks pretty cool to me. Has a very cartoony earthy feel to it. Feels like mid to late afternoon.

mindrot
03-04-2004, 03:12 PM
WOW.... this is really really cool. Very playful in feel...

Love the colour palette you've used. Those trees are supa.

the178
03-06-2004, 12:06 PM
This is really cool! nice stuff.

KazuyaMochu
03-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Really nice! maybe if you darken it just a bit, it would look more solid. but still, it's very nice!

Kazuya Mochu

seantree
03-10-2004, 05:35 PM
this is great!!!! This is the type of environment that makes me buy a game. If i saw this on the back of the box, and the genre was platforming, i'd be all over it. keep us updated!

amola2k
03-20-2004, 06:40 PM
VEY INSPERATIONAL !!!
good good job
keep it up
show us more !
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.