PDA

View Full Version : Low poly char. (new)

Fnote
03-02-2004, 12:56 AM
New low poly game character. I havent added any armor or anything yet but heres the basic shape and construction. Crists welcome of course.

-Fnote

http://3dlinks.com/images/forums/usergallery/studio.jpg

bcairns
03-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Looks pretty good so far. It's kind of hard to tell anything from this render. Maybe you should post an image in just flat gray shading with a wireframe or something, to get better critiques. That's all for now.

PharCyde
03-02-2004, 03:51 AM
Looking pretty good so far.

Agreed, how bout a frontal and a three-quarter view in grey shade? Wire frame good.

Fnote
03-02-2004, 05:06 AM
Sorry for the weird render, i see what you mean now. Hopefully these will clear some things up. I did use smoothing groups on this version just to add a bit of detal, still low poly.

Thanks,
Bill

http://3dlinks.com/images/forums/usergallery/better_view.jpg

TRyanD
03-02-2004, 06:20 AM
Looks good so far heh.

MacLeod
03-02-2004, 11:53 AM
good start there, keep us up to date.

Cheers

da_rock21
03-02-2004, 01:58 PM
dont know if its suppose to be that ununiformed but his waist is way to small. even if it is a little stylized i would think that it would still be a little bigger

YerEvilTwin
03-02-2004, 06:08 PM
The arms look like twisted sausages. try spaning the musules across the joints. Why does he have a bicep sholder? Why is there a crimp in his forearm. The inside calf muscle is longer than the out side

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/eZine_images/Lower%20Leg%20Muscle%20Group.JPG

Give him some lats. Chop off those arms and redo them. I do like the idea though. Oh and give the poor guy a butt.

JaMo
03-04-2004, 02:49 AM
looks pretty good. im not sure what to critique because i dont know what your concept is. if you got a 2d sketch or something that would help.

Fnote
03-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the crits everybody, I have since removed the sausages and replaced them with hotdogs(wink). Anyway regarding what im going for, This is really my first full body character (low poly) which im modeling for a school project. The character has to be rigged and animated so i wanted to keep it simple yet interesting. I will post updates as soon as they come. Thanks again.

Dargon
03-04-2004, 04:52 PM
As others have said, it's a good start.

2 things though:

1. Give us a screengrab with a mid or light toned background , preferably with a wireframe as well, so that we can see what's going on, and give good critiques. It does no good hiding stuff at this stage, while there's still the opportunity to fix it.

2. (SO many people fall into this one) Give your character a name. Not for us, (even though a name in the forum title will draw more looks than "New Character" ever will) but for yourself. It will be much easier coming up with details for him, fleshing him out as it were, than if he has no personality on his own. "Fregnar the Baseball knight of the realm" immediatly conjures up info that can be used to help you figure out what he should look like, and help us tell you where you're going wrong. (or right)

The character has to be rigged and animated so i wanted to keep it simple yet interesting.

Interesting never takes up polygons. Not on it's own. Try to make him interesting before touching your 3D package. Sit down with a pad of paper, and write about what this guy is supposed to be, do, own, live in, ate for breakfast today and you'll find it easy to make him visually interesting as well.

amola2k
03-20-2004, 06:02 PM
i really like the shape , it has a toony muscle dude feel to it
i cant wait to see it animated !
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.