PDA

View Full Version : 2 versions -- Crit Away!

beenyweenies
03-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Just finished this scene... Took about three days to complete -- Maya 5, 150k polys (most of which is the background trees), all hand-done PS textures.

I am torn between the fogged version and the clean one. Naturally, I feel that the fog obscures details I labored over, but I want to use the version that leaves the best overall impression. Thoughts?

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com/bcoots/photos/ZhouZhang_fog.jpg

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com/bcoots/photos/ZhouZhang_cc.jpg

chrislomaka
03-01-2004, 11:58 PM
looks pretty good.

the top one's fog is a bit strong. the fog says 'morning' whereas the rest of the scene is lit as midday.

i like the bottom one the best, but i would add some depth fog (making things bluer and less saturated the further away they are) and maybe a touch of depth of field-blurring the stuff you see through the bridge.

BonoMan
03-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah the top one's fog is way too strong...I was gonna say it needed more contrast before I saw the bottom one which has way better contrast. I agree with the first poster...add just a tad environmental fog to the bottom one.

The textures look good. The key stones on the arch may be a bit outta scale. Those things would be huge! But hey they could be so I wouldn't say it's too unrealistic.

There's something strange with the wood paneling. (On the right..I'm assuming that's wood).

It looks as if it should end when it meets the side of the arch..but the stone just kind of disappears into it and you can see some wood just behind the stones of the arch which adds a weird flatness too it.

see attached image

edit: oh and maybe I'd add some more roughness to the texture of the base stones (the ones that meet the water)...maybe add some old water marks that water leaves as it rises and falls with the seasons.

And maybe the texture on the gondola's cloth covers could be a bit more weathered..but just a tad.

Otherwise nice image.

beenyweenies
03-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the crits so far, guys. I am totally guilty as charged as far as the wood meeting the bridge in a funky way and the lighting/fog inconsistencies. As for the keystones and the bridge in general, these fit pretty much right in line with what was in the original photograph, so I'll trust that they are correct, but they do need less bump up top, and maybe more grit down low.

I also agree that there needs to be more waterline erosion and grime, There is some but too subtle to show in the final high contrast render. UNless I get other commentary to the contrary, I'd say the no fog render is the winner here.

rami
03-02-2004, 01:50 AM
the bottom one is terrific.
the top one looks like mid day with someone playing with a fog machine...hehe

maybe make the sky a little more morning like is all i can say. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.