PDA

View Full Version : Character's root joint.

Iotrez
03-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I noticed that on my character I could zero out most of my controls or joint's rotation/translation values to get them back to their default position, regardless of how the character is aligned to world space. I guess this is becaues they are parented to the root(pelvis) joint.

However, with this pelvis joint it doesn't seem possible(because its not parented to anything), which I would have thought would be a big disadvantage when it comes to animating it.

I was wondering what people did when it comes to the root joint.

I thought of creating another joint just above the root joint to animate instead, but then you don't get the natural looking movement in the legs which comes from the rotation of the root joint.

Basically what I'm after is a way to easily get the root joint back to it's resting position and rotation quickly even when the characters not aligned to the world xyz axis.

Thanks for replys.

modi
03-03-2004, 10:09 PM
this is why u create controls for the rig. I almost never control the joints directly. Create curves or control objects which in turn drive the joint.
cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.