PDA

View Full Version : Proper Critique

CAClark
03-01-2004, 10:02 PM
.... but i am picking up on something Randy said in Nano's thread (sorry to hear your troubles man).

Now I myself work in the UK, and the outlook is not at all certain ..... and I am keeping open options to broadening horizons. I recently posted a link to my Portfolio, and while the general reception seemed pretty good, there was little or no real critique, soooo..........

......... I'd actually like to follow what Randy suggested in getting folks to critique my stuff rather than just a 'yea, cool man' type thing.

Any takers? I'd really appreciate it fella's as I am sure there are things that while I am totally happy to have them there (artwork especially) others may have an alternative standpoint.

Soooo, the link is www.lw3d.co.uk and it is essentially a modelling folio.

Do you stuff! (please).

Cheers! (Apologies to post this again so soon!)

Clockwork
03-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Ok' I've gone through your portfolio, and I must say although your work on such things mechanical is quite impressive, you lack the diversity which so many employers are looking for. Spaceships, vehicle and transports will only get you so far, in order to prove your skills to a potential employers you must show you character modeling abilities among other things. That is almost a must, unless you've attained one of those legendary statures as strictly an environment or character modeler.

I am not sure how diverse your skills are, for I really saw nothing other than the aforementioned ships and such. You really must diversify your portfolio. That's an honest critique.

Cypris
03-02-2004, 05:32 AM
OK, well, I can't say anything about diversification; about 8/9ths of my work is mechanical, but there are a few things that I can tell you. First, with Babylon 6, you need an angle where you can get a better idea of the structure. From what you've shown, no one can get a real good idea of what the whole thing looks like. Thats a problem with a lot of the other images. The glass of water is done pretty well, but it doesn't really show a whole lot about your skills, design ideas, ext. The one really good peice you have in there is the "Power Race X" vehicle, but again, you need a better angle to look at it. Your 2D work is good, but I suppose I'll have to say that you do have the problem where your focused entirely on one type of thing, and in this case its not even very general. My last comment is that you really need things that show off your skills, but attract attention to yourself, such as making things that you can really call your own, things that you can't really see from anyone else. All the Babylon 5 related stuff people have seen a lot of before. The glass and screwdrivers aren't anything spectacular. The spacescapes are doen well, but don't really seem too origional. Thats why I liked the "Power Racer X" more than the others; because it really looks origional and not something thats been all over the place. I could be wrong of course, but thats my input.

On a last note, you do have skill, a whole lot of it. I can't say that most of my stuff looks that good. Your testures are great, your models are the same, and your detail follows with that. All you really need is some origional ideas up there.

CAClark
03-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Thanks for taking the time, and I agree on diversifying..... characters is one thing that I have been wanting to do for a while now.

I certainly haven't attained a legendary status of any kind, that I do know! :D

Cheers :)

DazP
03-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Agreed that your stuff definitely shows serious proficiency, experience and ability when it comes to hard surface modeling. You seem to have a knack with lighting too.

And yes I would say that to a certain extent I agree with Clockwork. But I do just wanna add that it's not as rare as it might seem to just specialize in hard surface modeling. In fact it isn't really rare at all. Plenty of CG and FX houses have different departments or different modelers concentrating on either hard surface or organic modeling. And in fact most videgame companies do this now too. So If you start going down the character road and eventually find that you are much stronger in hard surface stuff, then theres no need for despondance. Give diversifying a shot of course, Im just saying that to make a career out of hard surface modeling is perfectly feasible.

*EDIT* btw your realtime stuff is immaculate. Every videogame co. I know of including the one I work for has a seperate world / level building team from character team. But anyway this is super clean and efficient. There must be tons of work in the games bizz for world stuff surely? The 'immaculate' nature of your work btw could be its downfall and is the major crit I'd have. Simply everything you have up there looks brand spanking new and never used. Maybe I missed some stuff but with the ships and building you might wanna try some battle damage, dirt and wear and tear?

CAClark
03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys, I can see merit to both points on diverity, and i am taking on board all considered constructive input, so thanks firstly for that.

DazP, the majprity of stuff is immaculate you're right. On powerdrome the ash crawler is far from clean though, and one blade (Arius) is also dirty. I am revisiting all the hidef blades to update the models, and to texture them, as Powerdroem has purposely pristine race machines.

My own personal models are not especially shiny clean either, the B5 models, and most obviously the EP2 LAAT. The propeller blades are still in progress, only blade1 being anything near ready to texture :)

Please people, take a little time to critique :)

*EDIT* Thanks also Cypris, that was a great critique, and you are pretty bang on. The 2D stuff is limited and specific, I guess mainly cos I only have just started even trying base 2D rather than 3D... perhaps it is too early to be trying to include that in here?

Cheers

Craig

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.