PDA

View Full Version : Object: Two perfume bottles

Q_B
03-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Well, it may not look good, but it sure smells fine!:p

This scene was done to study and test the properties of glass, MR shader.
It is still missing caustics, cos i'm still trying to get them to work properly.

No FG, no GI. Just a spot and an omni. :)

Please C&C! Thanx!:thumbsup: http://www.linhadeterra.com/alberto/TWO_BOTTLES.jpg

Q_B
03-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Wow! 90 views and no comments!
(must be crappier than i thought...):shrug:

Viper
03-01-2004, 06:04 PM
It's not crappy, but it's not really awsome either. There are several things lacking there.

1) You need more reflections. Probably using HDRI. Right now the glass looks a bit dul. And also confusing wich brings me to number 2

2) I think the thickness of your glass is big right now. I've never seen a perfume bottle with a glass this thick.

3) Did you use raytraced shadows? Cause it looks like it's shadow maps right now. i'd switch for Raytraced to give it a better look.

4) I also think that you would benefit from using skylight in there combined with HDRI to give it a better look.

5) Caustics don't always need to show up. It depends on the light, distance of the light the level of ambient lighting....in this case, not sure if it's needed :)

Well, hopefully you find this critics good for you :)

roborn
03-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Viper
I think the thickness of your glass is big right now. I've never seen a perfume bottle with a glass this thick.

i already had that perfum, and i can assure that the tickness of the glass is really big. :cool:

i already said some things about his work in the other forum. ;)

yes, you can do some minor things that can really increase a lot the quality of the work. but it still rulez! :thumbsup:

Q_B
03-02-2004, 09:30 AM
LOL at last!
Thanx for the crits!

Viper: Thanx for the crits. Lemme just tell u, i never thought it was awesome, maibe, humm, decent?:shrug:

1 - I did tests with HDRI, and yep it caught lots of reflections, but that's not really what i intended. Was trying to create a product-type pic, kinda those taken on a white/neutral photo studio. Now if someone had a more interior and neutral HDRI instead of forests and cathedrals lol!

2 - Bout the thickness, u'r right, specially in the boss bottle. Gotta improve it:wip:

3 - The shadows are raytrace, but area shadows. I just don't really like hard shadows, it's not out in the sun :)

4 - Skylights in mentalray ... i believe i read a while it was possible, but i gotta check

5 - Caustics, well, it would help most to get the bottom of the bottles a lill more illuminated, to help get rid of that awfull grey areas in the liquid.

hatebreeder:

Yep, it's too thick.
Kinda hard wotking with it, cos it's not simply the outer faces on the object, it has inner faces too.

Thanx for the comments and critics guys!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.