PDA

View Full Version : UT2k4 Vehicles - WIP

TRyanD
03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Newest Pics

Texture WIP Need Crits!!! And help :P

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/JeepTireTex.jpg

Latest Model Pics (only change so far is side steps added)

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-05.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-06.jpg

With wheels and all its under 3500 tris.

Original Post

Im working on a couple of vehicles for ut2k4, so i have a few ready to learn how to get in when i get my hands on it. ATM i have a jeep (pics later) and this heli based off the oh-6/ah-6, the little birds in BHD.

Im not really trying to make it look just like one though, im trying to make it fit in with ut2k4's other vehicles but i dont know what to do All ive really done so far to try to get that look is take the landing parts off (dunno what they are called)... I made two diffrent looking ones (one like the real one and made one up too) but it looks cooler without either imo, i may just make the rotors spin when its parked/empty and have it hover a bit like the raptor.

The gatlin guns are a bit highpoly atm, and dont look to well up close, still thinking of what to do to those heh. The part above the guns is to fire rockets (neither is a real weapon on this afaik) still working on getting the weapons looking good.

Im still a newb modeller too so C&C is appreciated.

NeoNautica
03-01-2004, 12:42 PM
You can find a bunch of helicopter isos here to use as some reference/get ideas. (http://www.onnovanbraam.com/index.php?m=blueprints&g=modernplanes)

Try making the gattling guns have 3 barrels... I remember 1 heli has a gattling with 3 barrels under the nose... forget which one.

Also might want to try to make it look like a Comanche... Their shape has more straight lines so it would be less polys.

TRyanD
03-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Thnx

Yeah i was reading about the commanche project getting canned the other day and was thinking how nice it would be to have :P Also the chinook and blackhawk heh.

Thats a awsome link man thanks, better than the ones i have so far.

Forgot to mention its just a bit over 2000 tris atm, and yeah making the guns 3 barrels will be a better idea and save some polys. Not sure if i want to add a gun under the nose for the passanger yet either.

TRyanD
03-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Messed around a bit more with it, added a few more fins to the tail, made the main rotor a S shape and cutout the tail to put the rear rotor inside of. Redid the gatlin gun to have 3 barrels and alot less polys :) and added some exhaust or whatever things on the back of the main body, along with the landing thing heh.

Tried to make this one easier to see too, ill get better pics later when i have some time heh and it looks better :P

Was also thinking of what to do for the passenger. I was thinking it would be cool to make a bomb sort of like the redemer that drops from the rear of the body and can be guided by him, maybee add some speed controls or something and some better control for it too.

2136 tris atm

Matt
03-02-2004, 08:26 AM
I was just thinking about making some real vehicles for UT2004, since it's relatively simple to get them working in UT2003 or 2004. (Even more so in 2004 apparently, but it's not out yet.) I think, as a conclusion from my experiences in the world of "Onslaught," mode; UT2004 could give any other currently available engine a run for it's money when it comes to a game/mod in the same vein as Desert Combat or Battlefield 1942.

TRyanD
03-02-2004, 08:59 AM
I agree, I cant wait to see what kinda vehicle mods come out, and i wouldnt doubt if one of em actually gets more players than vanilla ut, just like DC did with BF hehe.

My only prob with unreals engine is the editor can be a pain sometimes (but when its not it has some of the best features for one, wish it had some of radiants though...) and the maps are still pretty small imo, although apparently its possible to scale teh players/guns/vehicles etc down to a tenth of their size and make the maps 10 times bigger :) I plan to test that out asap. Currently in ut2k3 if you make the map past like 50k uunits (not really that big imo) it starts getting a HOM effect on the horizon.

Matt
03-02-2004, 10:13 PM
I agree that the unreal editor has some incredible design issues with the functions vs. the functions of your general 3D package or game editor. From my limited use of that package, I found it difficult even to create a box, and it seemed most things were done by keyboard entry. I find that editors such as DoomRadiant are much more to my taste, however I might have to adapt for UT2004 sometime.

TRyanD
03-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I like how radiant handles a few things better, mainly in creating bsp, editing it and selecting surfaces. Then again though, most of 2k3/4 should be made as meshes with as little bsp as possible heh. Ued is still my fav, even though i would like to see some upgrades to it, that i hope are in ut2k4s version of it.

Ive got some work done on my jeep, still wanna get a few things added to it before i post pics, need to optimize the mesh some before i post wires too heheh.

Any comments on the heli? The tail area seems to need some more work, got some comments about that, but im not sure what i should do :O Only a few little things left to do to it.

proudclod
03-02-2004, 11:01 PM
It looks good, but in a cartoon style. You said you would want it to fit in with the other ut2k4 vehicles, but that's just not going to do.... It looks cartoony, and would look great with other cartoony vehicles, but it won't belong in a real ut2k4 enviorment. But great job on it though :)

TRyanD
03-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Well i was hoping the skin would fix most of that heh, besides the colors what would make it fit in better? Ill post pics wihtout colored materials on it next time, i usually do that to help me see what im doing but sometimes people think its the skin >_< (got comments on that on other forums already hehe)

Heres a pic of my jeep, better pics later when its better looking, ill take some without colors of it too. Actually got most of this one done before i started the heli.

I think im gonna call this the Jeep Mangler (mangler for short) although atm its not very manglish, still working on that :O Im not really happy with the rear end (of either vehicle) so im still working on that area..

Id still like comments on both as to how to make em fit with ut better, i wanna be able to toss em in a map and have people think that they came with ut and they just didnt notice :P

BTW they announced that March 16 is the official release date now :) 2 weeks!!

jo3
03-03-2004, 06:06 AM
great starts. i'll keep my eye posted. i can't wait to see some of the mods for 2004 - going to be a broad array i'm certain.

pseudoBug
03-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Lookin' pretty good.

On the jeep, the first thing I'd do is change that front grill/brush guard. It looks like part of a bed to me. You might also make the rollcage a bit more interesting. I'm assuming there are two gas cans right now due to mirroring. Definitely have only one. also, I'd make the can thicker.

Maybe do something with the landing gear on the heli to make it look less cartoonish, and make the tail a litlle less symetircal top to bottom.

Other than that, just keep workin'!

TRyanD
03-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Thanks guys.

I agree on the grill, i couldnt find a good pic of one and just kinda threw it there to see how it would look, thought about adding spikes/razors all over it but ill prolly hunt down a good pic of one and remake it. I put the two gas cans there to kinda fill it in (the body is still mirrored though hehe) cause with a tire there it looked dumb, atleast with the big tires heh.

For the heli landing gear, a friend posted a pic of a heli for refrence to the tail that had better landing stuff that im going to change too. Ive got some more work done to the heli, ill try to get some of these other things fixed up before i post pics again :)

TRyanD
03-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Heres some new heli pics. I redid the tail, looks more like the real ones now and breaks up the symnetry, added a bomb hatch to the bottom, changed the landing things, added some to the cockpit, made the main rotor have 3 blades and rear have 4, added some tubes and a antenna (for the bomb :P) on either side to try to break up the symnetry some too, hopefully the texture will help some too.

Does it look utish now?

2499 tris atm :)

http://forums.jumpschool.net/iB_html/uploads/post-24-84588-SMERC_03.jpg
http://forums.jumpschool.net/iB_html/uploads/post-24-84611-SMERC_04.jpg
http://forums.jumpschool.net/iB_html/uploads/post-24-84636-SMERC_05.jpg

Im going to get some better pics soon :P its kinda hard to see some of it hehe.

Devised_Poly
03-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Some thoughts to make the jeep look like it belonged in unreal. The grill should be crude, and have some of them bent. Could also put some flood lamps on the roll cage. And just in general, to Unrealify something, take it appart and put it back together without the manual, with parts you found at a junkyard that were cool, and have it reek of masculinity.

RmachucaA
03-10-2004, 01:42 PM
imho, the helicopter belongs at a kindergarden playground.... its lacking A LOT of aggresion.....

TRyanD
03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, hoping to get some work done on these before i get ut2k4 (and lose my free time :P).

What could i do to the heli to make it better? I have had a few comments on it looking toyish etc but i cant figure out why or what to do >_<

The manta and raptor are kinda plain and toyish kinda too though and im trying to fit it in with them, the jeep more with the hellbender and scorpion.

Suggestions? I dunno what more to do to the heli atm aside from the landing part (i have a updated version with more rounded rocket launchers that look better).

The jeep im going to redo the grill, redo the tires and maybee add razors to the sides, fix the back and look at the hellbnder for more ideas.

Oh yeah, so far i havent posted these on the actuall ut2k4 forums around to get ideas, ill do that soon too heh, i wanted modeller input first but i guess i need some design pointers now.

TRyanD
03-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Heres some more work on the jeep.

It still needs work, the front and back are bothering me heh.

No wires for now cause its high poly and looks shite :P

Pics removed!!

iamjason
03-14-2004, 03:50 PM
I believe the reason your models look toyish is due to their proportions. Compared to their real-life counterparts, their proportions render them as being quite "cute." Take the proportions of an adult relative to a baby, for example. Your models are also quite round, and thus lack aggression. Try finding an aggressive piece of machinery or an aggressive animal and find inspiration in shapes and proportions from those references. People will always relate real-life objects to things in your model, so you need to intentionally control that (you will notice many car companies employ the real-life relation design ideal).

More specifically, for you helicopter, make the blades straight. The edges can have a nice lump of a blade on the end, but the rest of it must be straight. You may want to consider squashing the entire model down vertically, and extending the tail. The tail rudder (if that is what it is) may also need to be scaled down vertically and extended.

Your jeep is also quite round. I won't go into much detail because I believe it's best that you figure it out for yourself, but try, as I mentioned before, controlling how people will relate to your models. One of the most important aspects of cars is the front section. When people look at the front of cars, they see human facial features, or at least some of them (eyes particularly). So, how does that help? Simple, the eyes are seen in the headlights. Thus (and this is cheap, I wouldn't recommend its implementation) if you made the headlights 90 degree triangles they would be in the shape of someone who has "angry eyes" (as apposed "neutral eyes" - round ones) and thus, aggression.

It's pretty darn late, so that may not have made sense for the most part, but I hope it helps.

TRyanD
03-14-2004, 09:40 PM

Ill work on roughing em up a bit, I see what you mean, especially with the jeep.

Im gonna work on em both a bit some today, i havent been messing with em much cause ive been playing games :O hehe.

BTW anyone have suggestiong on making wheels. I tired using cadsters av as a example for making a cooler offroad style tire, but all that i make that look good are 350 - 500 tris. ATM each wheel is about 475 tris, but im not real sure how the game handles vehicle parts, i know that with map meshes you can have lots of the same one on the screen at once and it only renders it once or something like that, so i wonder if the wheels would be the same, since i should only need one wheel (like the bulldog) used for each one.

TRyanD
03-15-2004, 04:31 AM
Also, if anyone can give me a example or suggestion for how to attach the wheels that would rock heh.

I havent thought about it really and just realized im going to have to do something so they dont just float lol.

TRyanD
03-23-2004, 01:28 AM
Well i got the wheels attached pretty good and did a WHOLE lot to the jeep today.... I deleted almost the whole thing lol, so i could redo parts for less polys!! Went from the version i had before at almost 7k to a better looking version at only 3317 :P (i thought it was right at 3500 though so i need to check if i deleted something >_<).

Im prolly gonna readd the side steps though, and im still not sure about a gun... i was aiming at 4-4500 so i could still add a cool gun or some other things on it, although right now its right at the tris the other ut vehicles are so...

Watched all the vehicle VTM's off the ut2k4 SE disk upto the coding ones (ill watch them when its skinned and in ued), didnt really learn too much except for a few things about rigging, basically like guns though. I did learn that maya looks better than max though :P soon as this is done i may redo the heli in maya PLE after watching the maya vtm's heh.

Anyway, to the mangler!!!

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-05.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-06.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-07.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-08.jpg

TRyanD
03-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Updated first post with pics for lazy people :P

Im workig on texturing the wheel, and i wont lie i SUCK at texturing, skinning at least anyway. I can make some ok map textures but im not real good at skins :(

Anyway, this is pretty good for me so far, i could use some help and crits on it. Its gonna be a bitch to skin the whole thing >_<

I coudnt think of what to do on the hub area so i just went with dark heh.

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/JeepTireTex.jpg

Worked on it for like 6 hours lol, started over about 5 times heh. Heres it on the tires.

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/TireRender.jpg

pseudoBug
03-25-2004, 03:20 AM
Gettin' there TryanD. The jeep is much better that when I last saw it, although it seems a bit wide. Not conventional tires by any means, what are the made of? Could we get more of a 3/4 view.

Keep on!

Kizza
04-04-2004, 05:11 AM
Great idea.
UT2004 definatly needs a jeep like this, very cool.
If you wanted to make it more UT you can always beef up the scale on the car frame around the wheels and add some little details there, but I like it as it is.

TRyanD
04-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys hehe.

The tires, i was just trying to copy the hellbender same with the wideness, the more unrealistic it is the better i guess lol.

ATM im still messing with the UVs on the main body lol, i hate them >_< spent like 2 days on em so far, been messing with making a mutator and playing (#1 on csports assualt for a few days :P) instead of working on it hehe.

Ill finish one day, and after i get the hang of skinning and coding i should make more too, hopefully the heli will be easy to make good.

They released the ONS native source btw, dont remember teh site atm but it has ALOT more code in it for the vehicles than you get with the ued extract. Pretty much everything you need for a vehicle.

Kizza
04-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Looking at it again I was thinking for just a little bit more detail you could add a raised part in the bonnet (or the hood, whichever word you use). That would just add a little detail in the model. Just a thought.

TRyanD
04-05-2004, 11:14 PM
It is raised a bit there, its just kinda hard to see.

Hopefully i can bring it out better with a texture, i suck at texturing though >_<

Kizza
04-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Texturing can be a b*tch. But UV Mapping is usually the worst part of the whole process I reckon.
I really like the tyres, very nice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.