PDA

View Full Version : Art: Survival of the fittest

PFS
02-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Hey all,

My first post in this forum. This is a little something I did last summer. Max5 and photoshop, about 6 hours.

In terms of crits, yeah, don't worry, I know there's *tons* of places it could be improved...I was under time pressure to get it done. :p It's the concept I like more than I like anything else about it. :)

I made it for an upcoming online stock photography company...keep checking back to www.fancycamera.com , they'll be launching soon.

http://24.226.30.80/composite.jpg

Would anyone be interested in hosting this? I've just got it on of a server running from my CPU, so if I shut it down, it won't be available...

//edit- stupid parser included the comma in the url. :)

rushi
02-29-2004, 05:40 PM
concept is good but design is not good.. so that is making visual little poor.

DAve

krispydigital
02-29-2004, 06:08 PM
love dat idea! and yea...ur textures don't look too good....oh, and uh everything seems too blue. Think it makes the pic look flat. How bout making the "earth" yellowish orange...like in those science videos.

DrakeX
02-29-2004, 06:31 PM
if you think of it as an electron microscope's view, the textures are fantastic :)

so THAT'S where you get those short little network cables.. they're babies! ;) those things in your pic look like CAT5 cable sperm.

sizzlebits
02-29-2004, 08:39 PM
the concept is great, but the execution needs work. There are a lot of hard, CG-looking edges and it needs work on the value (ie: color depth). Other than that, good job. =)

Guybrush
02-29-2004, 08:42 PM
the concept is very good, but the materials really need more work

PFS
03-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Cheers for the comments everyone. :)

@DrakeX: Ya, you got it...it's an electron microscope. :buttrock: I had hoped that would be obvious...@everyone who said the mats need work, is that because it's a poor microscope texture or because you didn't know it was supposed to be that way? It's just a noise map but still thought it was okay for the purpose...though if you couldn't tell what it was supposed to be, then it certainly does need improvement. :)

@3datri: Yup, the layout could use a bit more work...I'd love to redo this as a personal project and give it the time it needs to do it right...

:)

BonoMan
03-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by PFS
Cheers for the comments everyone. :)

everyone who said the mats need work, is that because it's a poor microscope texture or because you didn't know it was supposed to be that way? It's just a noise map but still thought it was okay for the purpose...though if you couldn't tell what it was supposed to be, then it certainly does need improvement. :)

:)

You can tell it's supposed to be an electron microscope b/c

a.) the subject matter itself leads you that belief...and

b.)the sort of bumpiness that you always see on electron microscope is present.

However the material used for the colors is what I think everyone is critiquing. Especially on the nearest connectors. It looks like a plane jane basic procedural texture (I'm talking about the one used for the color). Either fade it out to make it more subtle or use something different. It just looks like some default procedural texture. It also doesn't look realistic.

Also get rid of all the hard egdes...soften some normals.

Also go check out some more electron microscope images. Notice the bit of transparency towards the middle. Do some facing ration experiments and try to get not so solid of a look. The bumpiness doesn't quite carry the effect totally.

PFS
03-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Awesome...thanks for the tips Bonoman :) I was really doing the image from memory of textbooks I guess I skimped on the details.

rami
03-02-2004, 02:40 AM
maybe also a little more variation on the plug types...
they are all the same.
good job anyhow. :thumbsup:

Sin-D
03-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by rami
maybe also a little more variation on the plug types...
they are all the same.
good job anyhow. :thumbsup:

That would be like mixing human semen with animal semen :cry:

lol, i really like the concept and i suppose it could look a bit better but for me it already looks great :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.