PDA

View Full Version : Enviroment - Hallway

FniNe
02-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi,

This is a hallway that I made the last year. I used Lightwave 3D. 16 lights for lighting.

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/jbd/LookAheadLR.jpg

Any critics or comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

j.

www.jacobobarreiro.com

Bredro1
02-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Great lighting and textures....seems a little narrow though.....

Bredro1

Spacemanbob
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
I like this type of look. It is not super realistic but has a really effect to it. Not something we could use in a movie with actors interacting with it. Wait.... I'm just saying the same thing over and over.

Good job. :beer:

otacon
02-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Cool environment. It might be cool to add something to a wall, maybe a light fixture or something. 16 lights...did you use any radiosity?

FniNe
02-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your comments guys. I appreciate that.

Bredro1: This place it's based in an old building where I was time ago, and the hallway was really narrow (like almost all old buildings here, in Spain). Thanks for your comments! :)

Spacemanbob: Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you like it, even it's not very photo-realistic :blush:

otacon: I think I'm agree with you. Something in the wall would make a more interesting compositing... Thanks!
I've used 16 lights only, not radiosity.
11 Point lights, 3 Area lights, 1 Spot and 1 Distant light.

sizzlebits
02-29-2004, 08:42 PM
the shaders are very nice. You got the painted look very well. The scene is a little boring though. Nothing really going on. The hallway is a bit narow. I dig the atmosphere and the lighting. Good work.

Guybrush
02-29-2004, 08:45 PM
the image is looking very nice, but maybe u should reduce the bump on the walls

Garma
02-29-2004, 11:09 PM
no I think the bump is great! the floor is friggin astonishing. very very nice work

huahua
03-01-2004, 07:02 AM
nice~:drool:

mikepolizos
03-01-2004, 08:16 AM
I like the lighting along with the shaders much!

My only point is (as some cg-talkers already said)that you have to make this image more interesting(IMO)!

Put some stuff in, man!

Great environment though!
:thumbsup:

FniNe
03-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Thank you guys!

I'm agree with you guys about this pic needs to be more interesting. I guess I was looking for a really simple enviroment to practise lighting and shading. But you're right... I'm a little bit lazy, but I don't think it's too much work to make a couple of objets to put in there. :D

Thanks again for all your comments! :)

j.

playmesumch00ns
03-01-2004, 04:10 PM
The lighting looks a little funny - you've got this really bright light at the end of the hall, yet it doens't seem to be casting any light into the hall at all. Also the door frame doesn't cast a discernible shadow onto the right hand door.

FniNe
03-01-2004, 04:38 PM
This was my intention:

Think about that place (the hallway) like a really dark place (it was). The light outside was sunny, but you could see some things out there. But if you take a picture inside the hallway, you need to increase the shutter time (time, not speed), for example, to see the inside of the hallway. If you do that, the entrance at the end of the hall, where the light is already bright, it will be over exposed. I didn't take a picture in that place, but I remember it was really dark inside, and I though that if you took a picture that's what would happen. I think... :rolleyes:

About shadow in the door, maybe you're right. :blush:

Thanks so much for your comments!! :)

j.

needed
03-01-2004, 06:45 PM
very nice ! i really like it. it has an awesome atmosphere, i don't think it would really need any more complexity. i like it that way :thumbsup:

otacon
03-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Could we see the light setup, and a small explanation maybe?

FniNe
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM
needed: Thanks for your comments. I was really glad to hear that! :)

otacon: Sure!
Here's a screen capture of layout. All lights are selected (pretty complex modelling :rolleyes: )

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/jbd/Hall_Lighting_SC.jpg

I used a Distant light for main shadows in the entrance. I used a couple of Area lights for main light from outside. For fill and for volumetric light, I've used a lot of point lights (with falloff) mainly. For soft shadows I've used image maps, procedurals and gradients... different techniques for different areas in the hall.
If you want to know anything else, don't hesitate to ask me.
Thanks for your question. :)

Regards,

j.

Z1K0B4
03-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Nice lighting! I'm sold on everything but the part of the walls from midway-down to the floor. I think maybe the grooves look funny? Everything seems to have a uniform amount of texture, it would be nice to see some part that is smooth (to set off the parts with alot of bump, for contrast).

FniNe
03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Z1K0B4: Thanks for your comments! I'll remember that cause I think it's a good advice. :)

Again, thanks for all your comments guys. All of them are being very useful for me.

Regards,

j.

BonoMan
03-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Looks great. The textures on the floor bother me. The quality is great. But they're mirrored and repeated. Mix 'em up a little.

Look at the picture below..I highlighted the axis they're mirrord on (although I'm sure you're aware of what you mirrored...but this is for everyone else to see).

Other than that little problem the picture is awesome...can I get a sample of your textures (spec/color/bump/etc) for the floor. I'm just about to start texturing a very similar floor and am looking for reference.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.