PDA

View Full Version : Error message while rendering! HELP!!

bastiaan
02-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi guys.. I got a real frustrating problem in Maya.. I often get this error message when rendering an HDRI mapped object.
http://www.bastiaanwormgoor.nl/error.jpg
I can go good on 10 renders, but suddenly this message appears and Maya closes instantly and no save-option is available!!

Does anybody experienced such a thing? Help would be really appreciated... :bowdown:

bastiaan
02-29-2004, 10:01 PM
hmm.. is the question really that hard? ... My experience now is that is happens when I put my Final Gather really high, like 3000 and above...

alivegy
03-01-2004, 07:20 AM
From my experience there are MAJOR reasons why mental ray crashes.

1) You're BSP settings are incorrect, MRAY runs out of memory and you get the C++ error.

2) Or the error you are describing, which i have found to be completely random. It pops up, you rerender and it doesn't.

My only suggestion is to always use the batch render command when previewing renders. That way if there is an error, maya batch only quits not all of maya.

bastiaan
03-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Thanx for the reply, but can you explain yourself further, I'm not sure if I understand it all:

1. What are BSP settings?
2. And how can I render using the batchrender command? Is it possible to render just a single frame with batchrender?

alivegy
03-02-2004, 01:10 AM
BSP settings control how mental ray breaks up the scene to process Ray Tracing. It can either break it up into a lot of small junks, or a few big chunks. One renders faster and uses more memory, the other renders slower but uses less. You can adjust these under the Memory and Performance tab. Try to read through the documentation to figure out how to tweak these settings, I'll try to describe them later but right now I don't have time.

I've found that if the program runs out of memory it will throw up a C++ error and quit. That's a problem with Mental Ray.

Or everynow and then maya will just have some random error and quit. You'll rerender the same exact scene and it won't do it again.

To batch render you can set the naming convention to name.ext so that it only renders the current frame. The just go to the render menu and select Batch Render. Once the file starts rendering you'll have to wait for it to finish rendering before you can use "show batch render" to view it.

UNLESS you go to the command promt and type in: "imf_disp filename.ext" then it will pop up mental rays frame buffer.

bastiaan
03-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanx alivegy, I think I have to be more carfull for what I render!

lapinbily
03-11-2004, 05:59 PM
yup' thanx a lot alivegy same error / same solution

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.