PDA

View Full Version : S Video Card for Combustion???????????????????

VFXGEEK
02-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Hey world, I own a Wildcat vp560 graphics board from 3d Labs. I am planning in upgrading into a much higher end model like the vp870, which is highly recommended for combustion. But! I need S-out for an ntsc monitor or a TV. The current models only support stereo out instead. Can anyone recommend me an alternative choice (I am student, which means I am very limited $$$ /... I have look at the TVzeka plug in from cyberzeka but most cards that are compatible with the plug in are made for video games as opposed for applications.......can anyone help me??????????????????????????

Jack Pfeiffer
03-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Hi..

If you use Combustion v3, you automatically get FireWire output!
Therefore, just hook up your DV Camera and take the composite
out to your monitor. . .

Personally, I am not that impressed with the Wildcat VP870.

Have you checked out the nVidia Quadro 4 750/900 XGL?
Or better yet, the nVidia Quadro FX 1000 or model 2000,
as those also support shadow/reflection !!??!!??

bye,
jack
denmark

VFXGEEK
03-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Basically, I am thinking in getting the Quadro4 750XGL from Nvidia...Iíve read a few nice reviews about it...do you recommend it for combustion work????? By the way any other idea of getting S or Composite video out of Combustion besides Firewire????? Have you heard of the cyberzeka plug in for combustion???? Again I need a good card for a student film that I'll be collaborating on soon...your 2 cents will be very helpfully...

Jack Pfeiffer
03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Hello...

Yes, the nVidia Quadro4 750XGL is a good afforable choice.
It is a mid-range card and works fine with Combustion.

To get Composite video out of the 750 Card, just buy the
optional Plug-In from CyberZeka . . .
( see: http://www.cyberzeka.com/ )
That is a low-cost & popular "video-out" plug-in that does work well.

Otherwise, as I have said, if you have an existing DV Camcorder
with Video Out, then you can just plug the Combustion Firewire
output through the DV camcorder and get video out - for free.

That should get you started...

Keep combustin' !

Jack
denmark

VFXGEEK
03-02-2004, 09:04 PM
But would I need an adaptor or something? doesnt the 750 card only support setero out instead of S?

Jack Pfeiffer
03-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi...

The nVidia Quadro4 750XGL does support Stereo Viewing (3D depth applications.... You can read the technical background paper about their technology here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20010605_6971.html

But that is NOT how you'll be using it with Combustion.
The Cyberzeka driver support Composite video out on that board.
As to HOW the physical cable connection is made, just check out the Cyberzeka webpage here:
http://www.cyberzeka.com/czk/lang~en~id~33~doc2.html

You say that you have "checked-out" the Cyberzeka page...
You obviously didn't "check-it-out" far enough, since all the
answers are already there....

bye.
jack

ramiro
03-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Hi, Im using a matrox g550(does an excellent job with avid dvxpress). im thinking about buying combustion(been working with ae till now) and was wondering if there is a way to preview on tv(via composit or svideo output).
thanks

Jack Pfeiffer
03-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi..

Well.... The Matrox G550 is "marginal" (lower-end) for use with Combustion... AND it does NOT provide video out - there's no plug-in.

For optimal Combustion use, I would really encourage you to consider getting a different graphics board - For example, the nVidia Quadro4 750XGL we've been talking about...

Overall, you'll get MUCH better Combustion performance AND video out!

bye,
jack

ramiro
03-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Ive read somewhere that the main difference of the quadro4 series cards and the lower-end ones is the program certification, but speed-wise they are only a bit faster. So which of the lower end card would you recomend? (the price difference is quite big, i prefer to spend the money in buying software)
thanks

Jack Pfeiffer
03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi..

Yes, I have also heard about CG-geeks who perform software hacks to up total performance of their nVidia cards..... Those who hack are mostly optimizing their hardware for programs like discreet's 3ds max and/or other CG/OGL programs.. Only thing is... I am not a CG-geek.. So, I don't know squat 'bout that. Maybe you should do a google for "hacks" and "Nvidia" !! Or, peek into the CGTalk.com 3ds max forum or hardware forum and do a search there...

Here's the list of standard off-the-shelf nVidia cards:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadro4xgl.html

Here's what discreet says about Combustion and graphics boards:
http://www.discreet.com/support/combustion/faq/answer.php3?prod=combustion&id=692
Note that the " nVidia Quadro4 750XGL " is in the high end....

bye

jack

boomji
03-07-2004, 09:51 AM
thanks for the (S)uper INPUTS jack :p
i was looking at buying a card for home.thisl'l help.

thanks.
b

VFXGEEK
03-08-2004, 07:48 AM
ok now we've heard enough about the Nvidial cards but how bout the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro???? any coments on the card? I am geting a G5 with it, have any of you guys any idea on this card?????

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.