PDA

View Full Version : Goblin, Dragon (3D), (3D)

Dragon
07-03-2002, 02:47 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g90/5190/5190_1246407462_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g90/5190/5190_1246407462_large.jpg)

Title: Goblin, Dragon (3D)
Name:
Software: Maya

Modeling example used to help teach a class in Atlanta. Model took approx 4 hrs. Textures done in 3dPaint and Photoshop.

Edge
07-03-2002, 02:56 PM
I like 'm a lot ! :thumbsup:

Great modelling and texturing, but I think you already know it....
And that movie.... wooooooo

Keep it up.....
:cool:

night goblin
07-03-2002, 03:05 PM
wow!
looking very cool man .

:thumbsup: :bounce: :thumbsup:

Pegasus
07-03-2002, 03:10 PM
HEY

Call Spielberg or ILM, maybe Dreamworks but get this buddy to the cinema please...

Perfect facial animation.

Which Program.
Could you show a wireframe image?

Cant wait to see mor of buddy :thumbsup:

RobinOberg
07-03-2002, 03:17 PM
i like those really subtle hair movements, is that endomorphs?
nice work overall. :)

jason-slab
07-03-2002, 03:23 PM
man that mpg rocks, excellent expressions:thumbsup:

dgpilot
07-03-2002, 03:30 PM
That is simply excellent. The facial test video is superb, very nice keyframing and animation :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pachy
07-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Wow I really like!

But I think the Textures are a lil bit blurry.
If you would fix that it would be perfect!:buttrock:

derwolpertinger
07-03-2002, 03:55 PM
nothing to say but...woooooowww:eek: :eek:
that's definetely the best work i've seen here yet!! congrats!!:thumbsup:

Trilabite
07-03-2002, 04:01 PM
You did it once again Dragon, brilliant work :thumbsup:

May I ask what apps you use?

Scott Guns
07-03-2002, 04:26 PM
I've been watching this guy unfold. I love the hair (well all of him actually...). Just stopped by to give Bert 5 stars (you can have a star too Dave *).

Silmarillion
07-03-2002, 04:49 PM
:buttrock: :beer: :buttrock: Great experesions

Bezerker75
07-03-2002, 04:59 PM
absolutely fantastic...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
love the eyes especially...you got mad skills...and I love the slight secondary motion on the hair...the only thing I might add is some slight secondary motion to the ears...and maybe some movement in the toungue!! but that's just minor tweeks...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

xtrm3d
07-03-2002, 05:00 PM
:bowdown: :xtreme: :bowdown:
you are my new "cg god"
i am now your truly worshipper
christophe
www.xtrm3d.com

SDIT
07-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Congratulations Dragon!!
What a character!!! Bert looks awesome!!
Is there more to come?? Maybe a body??
Thanx

SDIT

:bowdown: :bowdown: :xtreme: :bowdown: :bowdown:

monotypic
07-03-2002, 05:36 PM
AHHHHHHHHHH that was awesome!

spunkman
07-03-2002, 05:40 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

tkay
07-03-2002, 06:32 PM
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!

There´s just nothing in the scene that beats this!

You´re exceptional! :bowdown:

Approximately 500 stars!

Dragon
07-03-2002, 08:25 PM
Thanx everyone! wow, that's some seriously positive feedback.... I'm not planning on doing a body on this guy... he was made more to practice texturing and facial shapes... however I like the idea of some secondary motion on the ears... I think I'll apply something to my rig ang re-render.
Thanx again,

=kz=
07-03-2002, 11:34 PM
CRAZY MAN! I LOVE IT!
Keep up the killer work!!

:applause: :buttrock:

Pinky_Powers
07-04-2002, 12:08 AM
That is some very nice work. :beer:
The animation is near perfect, however I do have some suggestions for you. You may want to look into having his Hair move just a little bit more, and also, he moves his hard pretty fast at one part, so I would imgine his ears would wiggle a little bit seeing how they come out from his head like that. But other than that, I love this would you have done!:thumbsup:

Ps, oops, I see some one has already talked about the ears. Never mine. ;)

UrbanFuturistic
07-04-2002, 01:12 AM
He needs... he needs... he needs... a dentist! Quick! :D

Nice work, hair needs to fall with gravity more.
regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

Rogue
07-04-2002, 01:43 AM
Very nice Dragon. I've seen the character in the WIP section. He's a great model and the deformations in the animation are awesome. The only crits I have have already been mentioned. Great work!

Rob3D31
07-04-2002, 02:34 AM
Thats cool man!

On an immature note, i was checking out your site and resume...and the way you have bolded all the fisrt letters in the experience section it looks like its supposed to spell something...and it does.....Like I said, an immature note BUT you might wanna change it up.

Scott Guns
07-04-2002, 03:51 AM
D-O-S-E-R? So he likes to sleep...big deal. :curious:

Whistler2k
07-04-2002, 06:55 AM
Great work!!

How Did you rig him? Is this all Blendshapes or did you bild a whole skeletal RIG.
Couldn`t you write a short tutorial or so? :-)

Really excellent work ... I`m your FAN!

tkay
07-04-2002, 09:18 AM
D.O.E.S.E.R.? Rob: can you also tell what it means?

EpShot
07-04-2002, 10:12 AM
very sweet dude!:buttrock:

loved the facial test, very nice range of expression.

i'm planning on doin ga full set of facial expression for my warhammer figure http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12589

but for now i'm starting a new figure.

is it all just blendshapes? it very very impressive. keep it up, can't wait to see future work(i envy your texturing):drool:

Dragon
07-05-2002, 02:40 PM
Thanx everyone,
I'm posting some wireframe shots plus a pic of the blendshapes used.
Here's the wireframe....

Dragon
07-05-2002, 02:41 PM
... and here are the blendshapes...
(sorry for the size... 50k max)

Dragon
07-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Whistler2k and EpShot,
Yeah, it's mainly blendshapes. The only things that aren't are the jaw, neck and eyelids. I bound those to their own joints for better control. Also... it works better to bind things like the jaw and eyelids because tou can simply rotate them to get a radial transition instead of the linear on you get w/ blends.

Rob3D31,
??????:shrug:

Thanx

Whistler2k
07-05-2002, 03:28 PM
Thanks for posting this stuff!

And again, this mpeg looks sooo sweeeet!!!

Lunatique
07-06-2002, 03:54 AM
Dragon- I just wanted to tell you that you changed my life as an aspiring 3D artist.

Your tutorial "Modeling the Dave way" is THE catalyst that helped me transition from a traditional artist to a 3D artist. All the tutorials I've read prior to yours didn't "sing" to me the way yours did. And I've read literally hundreds of tutorials.

I'm now in the production of my first 3D project--one that will take 2 years to complete. I'm working on this project full-time(quit my job), and I'll be posting the progress here as I complete segments.

Your tutorial was like a revelation, and if I'm ever in your neighborhood, or you in mine, I'm buying all the beer you can drink!

BTW, I could never access your site, or anthing linked to your site(does this mean the images you posted this time are hosted elswhere?). My current location prevents me from seeing a lot of websites. The problem is on my end. I'm just glad that your tutorial was posted elsewhere, or I would never have seen it.

Jeff Unay
07-06-2002, 10:05 AM
uh, WOW. there's a lot to be learned from your threads. keep it up, man!:eek:

Dragon
07-07-2002, 12:35 AM
Thanx guys,

Lunatique,
I'm glad the tut helped you out. I looked at your site... and if you can reproduce your 2d skills in 3d then your gonna be one of the greats :). You've got some really nice stuff there. I can't wait to see how this project of yours turns out.

Jeff Unay,
Thanx. I love your Cy-Gor character. A guy at work has the McFarlane toy of it on his desk and I have to admit... it's one of my favorites.

Take care,

Elliotjnewman
07-07-2002, 01:26 AM
Top stuff! really impressed. did you use a 3d paint prog for the texturing? This is really cool, the timing in the animation is also spot on, as are the expressions. Does anyone agree that this guy should have spectacles?
On the ear flapping suggestion - look at Yoda in episode II as his ears flap a little after sudden movements.:applause: Bravo!

xtrm3d
07-07-2002, 02:17 AM
:bounce: :eek: :beer:
just sitting in front of my monitor and .. praying :-)

Vidar
07-07-2002, 04:55 AM
good job!:bounce:

JelloGnome 2
07-07-2002, 05:00 AM
wow! looks great! the animation is amazing

Kristine
07-07-2002, 05:08 AM
Hey Dragon, nice work you've got there.. ^_^ My jaw dropped when I saw that wonderful animation clip of yours. I've got to hand it to you, you really got great talents... Your modeling and animation skills are superb. ^_^ Well done, please keep up the good work.

If you have time out of your busy schedule, I think it would be great if you can do a tutorial just on how to do Blend Shapes , and how you went about in creating those amazing facial expressions. That would be really really super... ^_^

This is kind of a side thing, but I have a question related to Rigging my character, because I've got no replies from any other forums. Maybe it's complicated, but probably you've come across it..

My problem is do you know if there is a plugin or a mel script that controls the COG or the pelvis...for example, when the COG rotates, the whole body doesn't rotate with it, so it will be easy for me to make the "Contra Posta" pose. Because I already animate a run cycle, and I need to adjust and give more rotations to the COG.. but then if I do that.. I have to adjust many upper body rotations as well? If you know how, please give me some guides... Thank you very much Dave.. ^_^

sampi
07-07-2002, 10:40 AM
wooooooooooow
Great work:applause:
u r the master.

MasterZap
07-07-2002, 12:16 PM
Not that I'm allowed an opinion around here since y'all laugh at my pathetic tinkerings... but....

My ONLY crits on this thing is one (apart from a rendering-technical one which has to do with how bumpmaps work and stuff I dont have the strength to elaborate and is a crit not specific to this anim but generic up to and including SWEp2) is that the guy is kinda overacting :)

I am still waiting for that *subtle* marlon brando facial expression anim... you now where the guy goes from bewildered to confused to happy to sad to ..... with only miniscule changes of the corners of the eyes and 1mm of eyebrow movement.

But other than that, BRILLIANT stuff. Really.

/Z

MasterZap
07-11-2002, 08:32 PM
This deserves more views ;)

/Z

PereBalsach
07-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Congratulations !! It´s a wonderfull model and animation.
One question.
How do you make the hair ? with poligons ? or with the maya fur ?

Bye !! And have a good luck with 3D !!!

Meka
07-12-2002, 01:12 AM
I love it, I love it, I love it :buttrock:

then i downloaded the mpeg... ouch ! got to get myself back up on my chair :surprised :xtreme: :bowdown:

Grub
07-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Brilliant Dave, not only are you an excellent artist you're also a great teacher, thanks for sharing your knowledge. :beer:

Dragon
07-12-2002, 03:08 PM
Thanx everyone. I thought this thread got burried a while ago....

Elliotjnewman,
I used Deep Paint 3d and Photoshop to texture him. I don't kmow about the spectacles.... but good call on the Yoda thing. I'll have to watch it again :). Thanx.

Kristine,
Thanx.
The blend shapes were created mainly w/ clusters. Clusters are great because you can create a soft selection (such as a cheek) and manipulate it any way you wish. Also, I'll over pump my blends, and also do negative blends to vary the shapes a bit and also get extreme poses.
I'm not aware of a script to do what your asking for w/ the COG. I think that would more a matter of how you initially set up your rig. Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you.

Master Zap,
Yeah, he's overacting a bit :), but that's exactly what was intended. I'm more a modeler than I am an animator and this test was mainly to show extremes in facial expressions. Thanx.

Pere Balsach,
The hair was done using textured nurbs patches. I wrote a little mini tutorial here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10266&perpage=15&pagenumber=4) if you want to check it out.

And... thanx again everybody :)

Are3D
07-12-2002, 03:09 PM
nice. I Dig the animation.

rage288
07-12-2002, 09:21 PM
coool!!! like teh expression a lot!

:xtreme: :bowdown: :bowdown: :xtreme:

tubby
07-12-2002, 11:04 PM
crikey! your work is really impressive. its amazing how your talent is well rounded(modeling animating texturing). do you find it more important for someone to be well balanced in their learning of 3d or to concentrate on one aspect and be really good at it(not ignoring the other aspects but not concentrating on them as much as on a certain one). :)

CroitiX
07-12-2002, 11:26 PM
My first post here...
man that looks very cool!
awsome work :)

:thumbsup:

Clockwork
07-13-2002, 12:17 AM
That's friggin crazy man! Some of the most talented character animation I've seen in a loooong time, keep it up man!

ThirdEye
01-15-2003, 06:44 PM
I really love your work Dave, great meshes, you're a source of inspiration! :love:

Bazoom
01-15-2003, 07:15 PM
He looks a little like Mr. Smith from Matrix :)

Many thumbs up!!!

emilioG
01-15-2003, 08:48 PM
yeah, I've been seeing him for awhile. Very cool.

Good job.

:buttrock:

spr0g
01-15-2003, 09:00 PM
The mocie file is ace
keep it up:D

NemesisFIN
01-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Texture is too smooth.... need more sharp/details

That is totaly awesome work.....

emilioG
01-15-2003, 10:13 PM
I believe the smoothness is more the render than anything else.

:)

joksim
06-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Great facial, excelent work

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-21-2005, 12:09 AM
What a scary face!
Really high facial work.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.