PDA

View Full Version : stride length? (slipping feet)

deshai
02-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi, I have got my character setup pretty much under control, but if i want to walk with my character, it's very hart to keep the feet in place and not let them glide over the floor. I'm sure Maya has got a handy feature that will take care of this. Can anyone tell me where I can find a tutorial for this. Or the name for such a feature, so i can search myself?

jHromika
02-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Are the tangents on your foot controller keyframes set to spline?

If I'm right here, change them to either clamped or flat to stop the sliding.

Or if that isn't it and I'm reading your question wrong, just smack me and I'll try again. :p

deshai
02-29-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry, I'm afraid the terms 'keyframes set to spline' and clamped are not known to me... jet.
So I don't know if you understand my question. But i'll try to explain it in a different way just to be sure.
When i make a walk cycle with my character it will stay in one place. but if i want to let this character walk threw a room with this walk cycle I have to make sure the foot that touches the ground doesn't glide over the floor. So I wondered if there was a feature for this.
I've got a Hash Animation Master background and in that package it's called stride lenght, so that's why I called it that.
I hope I am a little bit more clear now :)

jHromika
03-02-2004, 01:35 AM
It sounds like we're on the same page here, but I'm trying to picture how stride length might work in hash and it doesn't sounds like it would fix the problem I'm thinking of.

But anyway, if I am understanding correctly, when your character takes a step, the foot that makes contact with the ground doesn't stay planted. It slides forward and / or back while the other foot advances forward. Right?

Which definitely sounds like the foot control keyframes are splined.

Now, I'm not sure how to equate this to hash, so if I go and explain something obvious, it's not meant to be insulting or anything :)

So, spline keys basically run smoothly from one to the next. In a default setting, this tends to push the movement a little further than you've set it (especially if you're walking and there's a few frame hold with the foot in one place).

http://www.hromikarenders.com/images/misc/spline.jpg

The way to fix that is to open up the graph editor

Window > Animation Editors > Graph Editor

Select the object that has keyframes. Then select the channels that you need to modify from the window on the left and choose:

Tangents > Flat

And you'll end up with something like...

http://www.hromikarenders.com/images/misc/flat.jpg

And now your feet shouldn't be sliding around when he walks.

I hope that fixes it for you and I'm sorry I gave such a vague response earlier. And if that still isn't it, I can try again :)

deshai
03-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Wow, thanks allot for the extensive explanation. i got a lot more wiser there.
I'm almost afraid to say it, but that's not exactly what i meant (although i didn't know this and is very handy to me)
I read my question again, and i saw my question isn't very clear. I'm so sorry for that. (English is not my first languish, 'poor excuse')
I'll try one more time and else I'm gonna clim under a rock.
What I wanted was Maya to calculate the distance my character will make when it takes a step.
ore the distance a wheel will overlap when it spins around.
I don't know if Maya works like this, but I hope it's more clear what I am looking.
:bowdown:

jHromika
03-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey deshai, sorry its been over a week. We just finished up finals here, so I was a bit distracted.

Anyway, back to your problem, assuming you haven't figured it out yet.

I'm not sure if there's an equivalent to what hash will do, but again, I've thought about a couple options, that may or may not be what you're looking for :p

There's an option to create a distance tool, although I've never used it so I can't really tell you much about it. You can find it by choosing

Create > Measure Tools > Distance tool

Actually, it's used a bit at www.rigging101.com in a couple of the tutorials. Check out the elastic foot setup under "free stuff"

The other thing, if you're thinking about stride length, what exactly do you need it for? Is this for keeping the characters hips exactly half the distance between the two feet for walking? If that's what you want, you can get that with expressions. Goto...

Window > Animation Editors > Expression Editor...

Name it torsoCenterEXP or something similar and in the expression field enter...

backCTRL.translateX = (lf_foot.translateX + rt_foot.translateX) / 2;
backCTRL.translateZ = (lf_foot.translateZ + rt_foot.translateZ) / 2;

Just replace my names with whatever yours are.

Now, when you bring one foot forward, the back will stay the same distance from the two feet.

And if that isn't it, try me again! (the language thing isn't a weak excuse either)

deshai
03-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Hello there,

So I've bin busy last week testing and trying..
on this url I have put some results of my testing:

http://home.planet.nl/~borgw001/test.html

The run was pretty hard to do. It isn't what it should be jet, but it's getting somewhere. These movies should make it more clear what i meant with 'slipping feet' I think. Next thing I'm gonna do, is see if expressions is something I'm going to be happy with and make animating a bit easier.

Thanx for everything

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.