PDA

View Full Version : 3d character: facial animation: Monkey Man

mattcioffi
02-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Hi

i just finished this guy. i want to make a short animation (maybe lipsynch) with him soon but i need to start on another project for now. go here for a quick animation test www.mattcioffi.com/videos/mmFacetest.htm

modeled/rigged/rendered in maya - crits welcome --
http://www.mattcioffi.com/stills/mmf1_Mix2.jpg
http://www.mattcioffi.com/stills/mmf2_Mix.jpg

Grubber
02-27-2004, 09:45 PM
This is so cool! :thumbsup:
That soft did You use?

mattcioffi
02-27-2004, 10:37 PM
thanks

it's all Alias's Maya

------
OOPs- there's a duplicate post of this thread -anyone know how to delete it?

murnau
02-28-2004, 07:54 AM
wow, but it isn't human?
the texture work is a good job, maybe there are some problems with the shape of his mouth but is only a little detail.
congratulation

lilCara
02-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Great job. Very good.

Hmm, I don't think there's anything wrong with the mouth, but with the eyebrows, at the end of the movie, when he has that mad expression, the eyebrows almost touch his nose :)

KnickKnack
02-28-2004, 10:27 AM
I don't see how anyone can comment on his physiognomy, he isn't a real creature.

Excellent lighting and rendering, and of course, a brilliant model and rig, well done.

If anything, his hair looks a little odd; it doesn't seem like it's attached to the head.

Atwooki
02-28-2004, 10:49 AM
mattcioffi:
Great physionomy in this head, bump and diff maps(possibly more diffusion around eyelids and bags)...:beer:
Spec Roll off map needs to be lowered slightly tho', I think... and the Ecc. map yanked up a touch.....
Nostrils could do with some translucency or 'redness' - to show the effect of the capillaries coming through skin (to match the feel of the ears....:D

What kind of facial rig are you using?

Atwooki

bobbisch
02-28-2004, 10:53 AM
haha, my teacher in maths always looks like the angry model :D

mattcioffi
02-28-2004, 06:54 PM
hey

wow! you guys have good eyes.

i don't agree with the mouth comment tho. yes he is not human and the physionomy is just about where i wanted it to be.

the brow deffinitly goes a little too low in the face test. i noticed it after an overnight render(i made it while i was half asleep) but i wanted to post it anyway--it is just a test after all. i use morph targets that multiply and divide well with each other but there are combos that can make the model go a little to far in spots.

i could have payed more attention when compositing the hair -this is an easy fix tho. maya paint effects hair is so awesome by the way- very easy to control. i think the follicles may need to be thinner.

as far as the skin quality i wanted his skin to be much more leathery than human skin but not quite as leathery as a chimps. that's why there's a stronger spec map(lower ecc) and not so much redness in the nose. also the light on his face is much more diffused than the backlight. i was thinking about layerng two spec. maps tho.

i built my own rig from morph targets that are relinked to sliders. i tried to build up combos from isolated muscle movements. but i would need to make many more morph targets to get this character's full range. if i get more time to work on the rig i'll try to link an intuiative UI to the sliders.

what are cool face rigs that are out there? do you prefer cluster/bone driven face movements?

later
Matt

murnau
02-28-2004, 11:10 PM
maybe in the first image the lips are too flat and the angle of the mouth is a bit square, but these are only little details, you have done a good job! :thumbsup:

ken0
02-28-2004, 11:38 PM
It is amazing, overall the textures!

Congrats :thumbsup:

mattcioffi
02-29-2004, 01:27 AM
i made a couple fast tweaks based on your comments.

i think atwooki was very right about the specularity. after getting away from it for awhile i noticed the spec was off. the original looks like his face is wet or plasticy.:surprised

i could definitly do more work on him but i have to work on something else for now. :D

thanks for the helpful comments.

-- i hope you enjoy

http://www.mattcioffi.com/stills/mmf1_Mix3.jpg

lucille
02-29-2004, 05:10 PM
hey, nice work...

If your taking this further I would consider some sort
shape strategy on the lips. which are flattening in several
poses. Beyond this "fix"--a more realistic mouth
would feature lip pursing volume changes and lip roll.

Great start and a nice web page also. regards--paul

Supervlieg
02-29-2004, 08:40 PM
I like the second pic a lot. The other ones are slightly weird, mainly because of his lips. They could do with a less wrinkled surfacee compared to the skin. Good anyway.

mattcioffi
03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
i got some time to play with this today. here's a much better pose and render than the first one a posted. :D i think the lips did look funny in that pose. plus the expression was a bit ambiguous and the lighting was a bit off. i tweaked the skin shader and opened the nostils a bit too. someone told me it looked like he couldn't breath.

http://www.mattcioffi.com/stills/mmf3_Mix1.jpg

mikepolizos
03-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Cool textures and modeling!

And the facial animation s great,
No ctitics from me!
Well done.
:thumbsup:

satandj
03-03-2004, 11:09 AM
:beer: CONGRATULATIONS!! NICE WORK!! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.