PDA

View Full Version : Still: A Dreamer's Sunset

christopher
02-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Human figures modeled in Poser and then imported into Vue. Only postwork was the addition of text in Photoshop.

Click here to view! (http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=538322&Start=1&Artist=knight&ByArtist=Yes)

Thanks for any comments and suggestions. I'm always hoping to learn and improve...

Kenshin ti Han
02-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Really nice... :D

Abaddon
03-01-2004, 04:34 AM
I really like it. I want to start to nice nature scenes like this also. To critique I would say maybe add some depth to the pier on which the people stand. At the moment is seems a bit flat. Same for the mountain on the horizon, I know in the sunsety 'mist' things get sihloetted but I think you could still see some layers of depth in large shapes like mountains.
good work. :thumbsup:

SidewinderX143
03-01-2004, 05:24 AM
looks amazing... though I agree about adding depth to the pier.

Goon
03-01-2004, 05:57 AM
omg.

All things considered, it does look ok.

But you committed what are nearly cardinal sins for many at this board.

1. you used poser models. Most people here custom make their characters. Using them is cool, for rendering tests and stuff, which is what this is. But generally the high quality work is entirely custom done, and that alone garners a great deal of respect.

2. You used a lensflare. This is the most overused, cliche cg effect EVER. Using one automatically lessens the artist in the eye of the viewer. Not to say anything against you, but that really is how many, myself included automatically react. Well I shouldn't say that. Besides the reasoning of overuse, keep in mind that you have no real lense there, and so unless you are imitating a photo, in which case the lenseflare would be different, throwing a filter on is a simple, not terrifically interesting way to enhance an image.

3. The cloud texture from photoshop. If that isn't what it is, it does look close enough, that it doesn't matter. Put more effort into your sky.

Compositionally, the horizon divides precisely down the middle of the frame. This is flat and a bit dull. Additionally the placement of the horizon usually lends perspective. Having it midframe sends a very neutral comment. The image does have a large amount of depth, I'm not going to say it is terribly evocative, but it works well. I'm not very good at this whole composition thing, so I'll leave it at that. Just look into the rule of thirds.

Sorry if that came off as harsh.

Slythis
03-01-2004, 06:01 AM
very nice, my only crit other than the ones people have already stated is the rocks in the foreground, they appear as if sittin gon top of the water

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.