PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly tree modelling

Creamdog
02-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Hey everyone. I'm trying to model some low-poly realistic trees, but the never get to look good. The lighting gives away far too much of the placement of the planes, wich breaks the softness it should have. Is there a good way, or a set of rules and tips you could give me? Thanks.

PetterSundnes
02-27-2004, 10:39 AM
What about setting the tree planes 100% self illuminating? Then no light will affect them and they will look "the same" at any angle...

Add the light and shadowing to the texture of the tree itself, instead of depending on the OpenGL/DirectX lighting.

Multimediaman
02-27-2004, 01:28 PM
over time video games are going to start having the trees built out more and more... for now, games such as grand theft auto vice city and gta3, gran turismo 3 and 4, true crime streets of LA, and pretty much any game where you're going to be close to the trees has at least the two planes as standard video game trees have, but in addition to those planes, they have filler detail in there... basically a map of leaves that is just floating in the middle of the tree... and pretty soon we'll see those filler geometry supported by planar branches, and pretty soon those branches will have depth variance to them instead of being on a flat plane, and same with the filler on the branches, plus the trunk would be modeled out, and perhaps we'll start seeing the branches modeled out as well as the trunks, with leaf filler maps spread throughout there... but that's in the way distant future :P

in the mean time, I suggest using a very basic trunk model, and then have the two planes with the regular shot of the tree, minus the trunk, then have some filler in there... this will give you a nice looking trunk, so you won't see that little X in the ground, and the filler, if built right, can give you nice shading and volume to the trees

KazuyaMochu
02-27-2004, 02:59 PM
I supose that in today's games, you can knock your self out at about... 200 poligons for the trunk with branches, and then use planes for the leafs.

you should do like said, have the textures busted up to 100% luminosity, and then you should use vertex color for to create a bit of deversity on your set of trees.

make sure to make a tree look diferent from at least 4 angles, this way you can rotate them and scale, and produce de ilusion of diferent trees.

hope this helps

Kazuya Mochu

Dargon
02-27-2004, 03:10 PM
I find I get much better results if I round the planes slightly, so that they look better from more angles - this is of course if you're doing a tree that needs a bit more detail, then say a racing car game one.

think of it as a trunk with a bunch of bowl shaped planes on it for the leaves. You don't need a lot of polys for the leaves, between 8 tris and 16, for each plane. The more planes you put in, the better it will look, but the more expensive...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.