PDA

View Full Version : Enviroment: "Land Of The Lost"

Digital Backlot
02-27-2004, 04:43 AM
I was searching through my old portfolio folder and found this puppy and have never posted it here before.

Credit goes to Me for the Backdrop and Bill Fleming for the character work. We did it just for fun and hope you have as much fun viewing it (pardon the dust it's been in storage)

Software used: Lightwave

http://digitalbacklot.com/GalleryImages/desert.jpg

Virtuoso
02-27-2004, 06:33 AM
Well I must say I am enjoying this.And am certain you had a great time creating it.:thumbsup:

A beautiful piece of work,very vivid,lot's going on in every nook and crannie.My eye's go right then back to the left they go.I do recall seeing this somewhere before.And am glad you posted it once again here.This time i will right click save as and in it goes the exceptional work folder........:thumbsup:

I will now go check out your site,it's right up my alley........Nice work Digital backlot,very nice.:beer:

Nando3D
02-27-2004, 07:36 AM
very nice work...
I seen this picture before in 3D world magazine about 2 years ago, it was an article about modelling plants and landscape I think..

Nice and funny

Nando

Banshee
02-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi!
Wow, this is a great piece of work!!
Very impressive....

PS: I havenīt forgotten your PMīs , Digital Blacklot :)

Spacemanbob
02-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Hmm.. I seem to think that most of those characters have been made by Bill Fleming. He made the Komodo Dragon and that running guy. Or at least I think he did, since I have my book open with the Dragon in front of me. Maybe he stole your models and used them.

Who knows. It still looks good. Has the Bill Fleming style to it.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of his work off my Stills 3D Files and post em.

http://www.spacemanbob.com/assets/billfleming.jpg

Digital Backlot
02-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Bill did'nt steal the characters, I wrote in the original post that Bill in fact created all of characters. He and I have been long time friend and I count him as one of the better character modelers out there.

I was directing a game project that he was working on for me back in 1995, that were I met him (long before his book sucesses)

We hooked up about five years later and this image was going to be a part of a giant comic book.

He got a lot of flack for this image unfortunately because he did'nt credit me on his website when he finaly posted it up there... but it was in fact in the CGW article in the July issue some years back, and I am mentioned in it as "matte artist"

Bill and I had lots of fun on this effort. The final image is massive and has tons of detail. We worked over the phone since we lived about 50 mile apart at the time. the final image took 18 hours on a p3 The image has never been posted on this or any other forum until now and I wanted to get some long overdue feedback :)

The comic was never finished... but we have this nice image to mark the year:surprised

Digital Backlot
02-27-2004, 03:37 PM
forgot to mention there was another panal that goes with this image but it never made the final cut... I'll have to look for it.

Spacemanbob
02-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I humbly apologize if I made it sound like you or he were using each others works. I guess I just saw the image and didn't finish reading the post.

:bowdown:

I have always liked the characters from the books and his now "page cannot be found" KomodoStudio's site. There were a lot of good things in there and I liked the updates. I even bought a subscription to it but alas it is no more.

Does Bill do anymore web work or has he moved on to other things?

And if you find anymore please post them. I liked the whole of the story I saw about the creature meeting the Frog King.
btw here are a few more images that I have to motivate me to become better at 3D.

Credit all goes to you guys for making them look so believable.

http://spacemanbob.com/assets/creature.jpg
http://spacemanbob.com/assets/dragonride.jpg

Digital Backlot
02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
to be honest I'm not sure what has happened to Bill, His site went down a while back and never seemed to return. He moved away to do his own short movie in Florida, but came back to California a few months later (not sure what happened there) We spoke twice when he came back then, poof...

He is by far one of the hardest working artists I've ever known (he never sleeps) He has two kids now so... maybe he's spending some long overdue time with the family.

On a side note... not many people know this about Bill's models.. but the freak would put so much detail into them that he'd model the insides of the shoes "just in case the were on the edge of the bed and he needed to look inside 'em" He really made "COMPLETE" creatures, and it commanded respect.

I do hope he gets back into things, for me I think with all of the sick talent thats out there these days, it's hard to stand out like we use to. but...You never know what Bill is cookin.

and I have my own plans... (digitalbacklot.com)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.