PDA

View Full Version : 4 to 8 switchover

flipnap
02-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Hey all, i have a ti-4600 agp4 and have recently bought a whole new system.. The ti performs very nicely, softquaded... my questions is, how much difference would stepping up to an agp8 card would i notice.. kinda a hard question considering you dont know what the new card would be, but I really like the 4600, havent had anyproblems.. and i dunno, i guess like an nvidia FX card or something in that area.. anyhoo

thanks -

bmwolf
02-27-2004, 02:28 AM
Switching from 4x to 8x won't have any effect. The newer cards are faster but in my opinion it's best to skip a generation before an upgrade. New cards should be coming out within the next 1-3 months(with the new PCI-express too). do yourself a favor, if your happy with that card than hold onto it for just awhile longer.

GregHess
02-27-2004, 10:57 AM
flip,

If your happy with your current config, don't change it.

Wait until a better upgrade is available. Usually you won't see a big change in performance moving from one video generation to another...but skipping a generation will usually result in a sizable change in performance.

(Aka geforce 2 to geforce 4, geforce 3 to FX, etc)

With NV40 on the horizon, if your happy with your current configuration, I'd just wait out as long as possible. Its what I'm doing, and I basically have the same card as you (only the actual quadro version instead of the softquadro model).

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.