PDA

View Full Version : New 3ds max human figure modeling tutorial DVD released.

Jim Lammers
02-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Just wanted to post a note to proclaim the release of our $45 (May 16 edit - not $59 any more) training DVD for 3ds max 5 or 6. It teaches how to model a human based on photos of a real person. The primary presenter is Kenny Cooper, who has posted a lot of free Maya tutorials at 3d-palace.com.

The DVD includes a booklet guide to all the movies. There are 48 movies in all, averaging 15 minutes or so per movie. Each one takes you a step farther in the process. Not a single step is left out. The resulting human is not only precise and anatomically accurate, but you also are able to sculpt a likeness of the person you are modeling using these techniques. Files included for max 5 and max 6. Tutorials presented in max 6.

More information at Trinity 3D's online shop (http://www.trinity3d.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=296)

Amazon listing (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/097068553X/)

Amazon listing of similar prior product for Maya (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0970685521/)

Thanks!

Jim Lammers

http://www.trinity3d.com/images/Trinity/face-real-render.jpg

http://www.trinity3d.com/images/Trinity/DVDjacket.jpg

brenton
02-27-2004, 02:06 AM
definately cool!, looks like i've got another thing to save up for.

one question though, are there any videos about adding hair, cause the photos of the model show no hair?

Cararan
02-27-2004, 06:20 AM
This could be very promising. But going to wait for a review before i think about getting this one.

Northchild
02-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Thank you for posting this; this sort of training DVD is something that I've been looking for. I purchased it directly - go US mail system!

Jim Lammers
02-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Hi, thanks for the note. The tutorials focus totally on modeling. We don't address unwrapping, texturing, hair, or skeleton setup and rigging. We might focus on those in a future product. But, we do show every step of the process, which is the promise of this series - nothing glossed over and no steps skipped. Which is a tall order for a model of this detail level and accuracy.

Jim

Originally posted by brenton
are there any videos about adding hair, cause the photos of the model show no hair?

Array
02-27-2004, 12:00 PM
but the finished model doesnt look anything like the girl? I'm confused.

titaniumdave
02-28-2004, 12:27 AM
I have the maya version of this from advancedmaya.com and its great. Well worth the price especially when you compare it to the books that are out there.

Dave

byzantium
02-28-2004, 11:09 AM
I don't understand one thing...
what kind of calculation makes 59 $ = 74,93 ? Nowadays 59 $ = about 47-48

Jim Lammers
02-29-2004, 04:07 AM
Thanks for pointing this out, you are right, we had it backwards (1/x). Sorry about that, it's fixed now with the current www.oanda.com rate of 0.8 euros per dollar. But, all our website charges are handled by our staff manually, and in dollars. So the euro rate is provided as a convenience. We were probably scaring people away with the inverse fraction! Thanks again for letting us know.

Jim

Originally posted by byzantium
I don't understand one thing...
what kind of calculation makes 59 $ = 74,93 ? Nowadays 59 $ = about 47-48

Jim Lammers
03-02-2004, 02:03 AM
It's only about the geometry. The 3D model matches the human subject. For example, if you look at the sample "split" photo I posted, you can see the 3D model, which is the left side of the head, and the original photographed person, which is the right side of the head. The geometric match is what we're trying to show. This product is a set of 48 movie tutorials recorded at 1024x768 resolution that show every single step of modeling a complete 3D human to match a real person.

To complete the creation of a photo-real human in a 3D program, one would next do texturing, then add hair, clothes etc. These topics may be the subject of a future tutorial but we have to set a goal for a given product. For this product it is about matching the surface topology of a photographed person, and learning to become a good 3D sculptor with organic shapes.

Jim

Originally posted by Array
but the finished model doesnt look anything like the girl? I'm confused.

DJB343
03-03-2004, 01:04 AM
what are your internation shipping charges ? ... i live in the UK :)

Jim Lammers
03-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Usually it's about $25 for FedEx International to the UK. We can ship by post for cheaper rates but it takes a while to arrive and it's not possible to track it.

Thanks!

Jim

Originally posted by DJB343
what are your internation shipping charges ? ... i live in the UK :)

SideShow
03-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Either the site doesn't work, or it says access denied.

I live in Belgium. I have no idea how to get that dvd :surprised

Jim Lammers
03-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Our **^$#@$ shopping cart provider completely hosed the site. It's a huge mess and I don't know how soon we can get it rebuilt. For now I don't have an online shop, sorry to say.

You can always order by email, fax or phone. My details are below. We can give you an exact shipping estimate if you provide your address first, so you know the total we will charge.

If you don't mind waiting a month, we'll soon have it sold through Amazon.com so that will be a favored source for a lot of people.

thanks

Jim

Jim Lammers
President
Trinity Animation, Inc.
676 SE Bayberry Lane, Suite 103B
Lee's Summit, MO 64063-4389
816-525-0103
Toll Free US/Canada: 800-548-1578
fax 816-525-1594
web: www.trinity3d.com
email: jim@trinity3d.com

SideShow
03-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Aha, Amazon will be good, I guess :)

I'm also waiting on some reviews though

Cu laterz

RedGlass
03-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Does this DVD cover modelling both men and women? Because all the models shown are female, and most of my character ideas are male.

Jim Lammers
03-27-2004, 10:04 AM
The focus of this DVD is totally on one model, the girl shown in the image. So it's a female. But there's nothing really gender specific about the modeling technique one chooses for most of the human anatomy. That is, a male nose and a female nose pose similar problems for the modeler.

This DVD's main focus is:

- through example, learning a general methodology for poly modeling organics; and

- modeling a specific person and getting a likeness, based on photography of that person.

People with some 3d skills that are just getting started on trying to model humans, or characters, or animals, will probably really like it. Especially since nothing is glossed over or skipped. It's every single step from initial photography to final tweak. It's all done in max 6, but we have max 5 files included on the DVD.

We got a few reviews of the Maya edition of this topic that we created 6 months ago, which you can check at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0970685521/

thanks,

Jim

FireHell
04-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Jim Lammers

I wanna buy your this tutorial DVD.
But, I am from China.
I Can pay it use my VISA.

At Trinity 3D's online shop,I have registered the member.
but I can't order it. it told me"You are not allowed to access that resource! "
maybe I am just a new member.
so,plese tell me what can I do?
I really wanna get it.

My Email:fire_hell@163.com

Thank you very much!

Daemon
04-05-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi Jim,
I would like to ask you, there is a price 59$ at the first page of trinity3d,but at the online shop is the price 49$ (#620). Maybe it's different DVD ? But it's a question only BTW.

What I want really to ask is (I may by annoying with this question) but, it's this DVD really step by step ? Isn't any single step left out ?
I tried to follow several tutorials,which promised step by step and
it wasn't true.:sad: I'm not so experienced and I need to learn modeling of character really step by step. And whar price can I buy it ? (including shipping charges). I live in the Czech. Thx for your reply. D

Jim Lammers
04-06-2004, 10:32 AM
I replied to both of you by email. I hope to have the remaining problems on our shop fixed by this time next week. In the meantime you can order by email or fax. Price is $59 - the $49 price reflects a special offer we had before the DVD was complete.

We can ship anywhere but we can't take credit cards from outside the US/Canada from first time customers of Trinity Animation. So you might need to wire funds. Email me for details -

best regards,

Jim

Jim Lammers
President
Trinity Animation, Inc.
676 SE Bayberry Lane, Suite 103B
Lee's Summit, MO 64063-4389
816-525-0103
Toll Free US/Canada: 800-548-1578
fax 816-525-1594
web: www.trinity3d.com
email: jim@trinity3d.com

Jim Lammers
05-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Amazon finally added it to their listing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/097068553X/

Price is now $45 also.

They will get their first shipment this week and hopefully a lot of people will find it valuable.

Jim

vishnu_venky
05-24-2004, 03:45 AM
im living in india.
how much will it cost me to ship the cd allthe way to chennai,,india.

i also would like to know when u will post similar tuts on texturing and rigging.

Jim Lammers
05-24-2004, 04:36 AM
Hi Vishnu,

I can give you an exact quote if you email me at jim@trinity3d.com. But we usually ship via FedEx International and it can be as much as $40 to ship to very far locations. We also require wire transfers in certain foreign-ship situations, which require you to visit a bank. You might be better served to buy it from Amazon rather than from Trinity3D.com if they are easier.

No idea on if/when we will do a follow up tutorial on texturing and rigging for 3ds max. But we are midway on a Maya 6 version about texturing, hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, etc. so we might have a clearer plan at the time we ship that product in a few months.

Jim

Originally posted by vishnu_venky
im living in india.
how much will it cost me to ship the cd allthe way to chennai,,india.

i also would like to know when u will post similar tuts on texturing and rigging.

squareframe
06-07-2004, 05:08 AM
You know what would be a fantastic dvd. you animate this girl in CS or bos or both.

I buying the dvd but i recomend you animate her...and bring out a dvd..

pearl3d
06-20-2004, 12:16 PM
thanx for this posting
very helpfull

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.