PDA

View Full Version : Shipwreck Scene

azerak
02-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Here's an environment I did for the latest competition on realtimecg.com. It was placed 3rd among the finalists, and I just wanted to post it here for critique.

The whole scene is 3288 triangles and has four 512x512 texture sheets and two 256x256 texture sheets (for the clouds).

One problem that some people have already noted is that it's too dark, however I found that it looks so drastically different on different monitors that I have no idea how to remedy this. On most LCD monitors for example, the scene looks rather bright, but on a lot of CRT monitors its covered in dark black shadows.

Anyway, any comments and critiques are welcome :)

http://apolisart.com/portfolio/shipwreck.jpg realtimecg.com (http://www.realtimecg.com)

pseudoBug
02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
The one thing that doesn't seem to sit well with the rest of the picture in my opinion is the very purple sky. Also maybe tune the color down on the sea a bit as well. Try to make it feel colder and dangerous out there.

The wood and barrel textures might need a little tweaking as well. If it were me, I'd try to use more of the texture map for those places, seeing as those are the points of interest.

Also, in the center of the picture you have the large middle stalagtite hanging from the top, and at the bottom you have a little rock right under it. If this is meant to be the stalagmite, then I see why it's there, otherwise, you might want to offset it a bit to break up the mirroring.

If any of this helps, then cool!

Gyzer
02-27-2004, 10:56 AM
I think the piece has real promise. I don't know exactly how u can make the lighting apear the same on all monitors, but I do have some sugestions about the lighting its self. First off The lighting is very saturated. Yes I understand that the lantern has a yellow glow, but the softer and more suttle it is, the better it'll look. Also I'd set the shadows that are being cast to be a dark shade of purple to offset the yellow light. Also If that background is just a plane with a image on it, I would take the image into photoshop, desaturate the colors, and blur it out alot more. Personally I think u should use a few planes for the back ground. I'd first use one with the rain, also u should motion blur the rain in photoshop, and have an opacity map on it, then another with the water also with an opacity map to blend it into the last plane which would have the little island and the wreckage that would be the most blurred. U should be able to do this all still on one map, even though it would be physically different pieces.

Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.