PDA

View Full Version : help with the multiply/divide utility node

Matt Leishman
02-26-2004, 09:43 PM
I am hoping to get some better insight as to how to properly use these powerful nodes in my rigging efforts.

I think I understand what they do, but just to make sure that I'm on the right track, i'll illustrate to you my understanding of how they work:

1) I create the mulitply/divide node first using whatever means needed to generate it.

2) Then I change my operation to the appropriate operation I need applied to my input value.

3) I then use the connection editor to plug a certain attribute into the input1X value of the multiply/divide node (allowing the plugged in attribute to have the divide or multiply operation applied to it).

4) I then change the input2X value to have that be the value which the plugged in attribute is divided or multiplied by.

5) then I use the connection editor to plug the outputX value of the multiply/divide node into the appropriate attribute that I need driven by the above generated calculation.

I think this is how they work, if not please clear it up for me. The reason I bring all this up is because even when i follow these steps, my end result is wonky. I change the value of my driving attribute fully expecting the subsequent attributes to have the multiply/divide calulation applied to them, but what I get is crazy random value changes that don't correspond at all with with I'd expect the equation to output.

I hope this isn't too wordy, please help if you can. thanks.

john_homer
02-26-2004, 10:42 PM
sounds like your doing it right...

send me a file if you like, just those nodes if you like...
I'll PM you my email

.j

kiaran
03-01-2004, 07:58 AM
You've got it right. Just remeber that the multiply/divide node uses vector variables. So each input corespondes to x, y and z. These can be colors (RGB) or rotation values or cartesian coordinates or whatever you want.

For simple operations like multiply/divide I always use a mel expression. I find it much faster to setup with more control.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.