PDA

View Full Version : Joint/Cluster weights

titaniumdave
02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Can a object have different values for joint and cluster weightes or will one overwrite the other?

Dave

john_homer
02-27-2004, 12:38 AM
not sure if I understand exactly what your asking....

I think the answer is yes, you can, but you can't normalize between the 2.

you could normalize manually (or with a script) by turning off normalize on the skin cluster, and putting the "leftover" on the cluster..

hope i understood the question
.j

titaniumdave
02-27-2004, 02:38 AM
Well I'll try and make it clearer. :) Alright so I have my character skinned to joints and the vertices are all weighted to the joints. Then I want to make clusters out of some of the vertices and then weight the vertices to the clusters so when I move it the skin will deform right. I hope this makes it clearer.

Dave

john_homer
02-27-2004, 04:01 AM
so I did understand your question ;)

what part did I not answer???

skinning is a cluster... a skinCluster... then you have another cluster... you weight it the same..

but the skinCluster will normalise over all the joints... the other cluster(s) will not normalize...

why not just use another joint, rather than a cluster??

its the same thing really... but you can normalize..
.j

titaniumdave
02-27-2004, 05:10 PM
This is what I'm thinking about. I have the head weighted to a jaw joint and a head joint. I wanted to make clusters so I can make blendshapes. I was wondering when I weight the vertices for the clusters would it change the weight on the joints. Now that I think about it. I think I can just copy the head and put clusters on the copy. Use that copy to make more copies for the blendshapes and when I'm ready to put it all together I can delete history and the clusters. I hope think that would work but I'll find out for sure in a few hours. :)

Dave

ACFred
02-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Dave,

The weights associated with skinning and clusters do not overwrite or change one another.

The effects of the two are additive, which basically means that they are independent of one another as far as their impact on the vertices. If you rotate a joint 90 degrees one way and then rotate a cluster that has the same weights as the joint 90 degrees in the other direction, your geometry will end up where it started.

Your idea of having clusters on the face to help with the deformations is a valid one. I use that technique myself, in addition to blendshapes.

titaniumdave
02-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks ACFred thats just the answer I was hoping for. Now its time to get to work. :)

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.