PDA

View Full Version : Flint, Flame future question

ambassador
02-26-2004, 03:28 PM
hello all,

I was wondering what the future of discreet flint and flame are, since from what i have been seeing sgi's have been fazing out. I am not a compositor so I dont know much on this subject, I would just like some insight from you who know more on the subject. can flint and flame run on other systems? will they still be updated and developed?:wip:

Aruna
02-27-2004, 12:29 AM
flint and flame are very different beasts, and have different production markets (usually). I still see SGIs being used in production, and several companies still buy new SGIs to work with flint and flame. They are still being updated and developed, and people are still using them. The software only runs on SGI hardware, because the limitations of current PC design do not support the way flint and flame work.

They are very much still high-end compositing packages, yet there is a market that pays for their speed and efficiency.

I don't personally see discreet giving up the SGI hardware line for their products, and SGI still has other markets that it currently dominates besides of visual effects.

ambassador
02-27-2004, 08:10 AM
ok cool, thanks for the info:beer:

darkchyld88
02-29-2004, 12:24 PM
just wondering which colleges do teach or at least has flame or flint

ambassador
02-29-2004, 04:08 PM
academy of arts in san francisco teaches flint, I am not to sure if they have flame:shrug:, there SGI systems are fairly old though, O2s or something, I am not quite sure of the name:wip:

Hullabaloo
03-01-2004, 10:13 PM
the academy art collage has

smoke, flint, and inferno!

last time i checked, they are soon going to get rid of thier SGI's
they run on Octane, but they are going to go to HP in the future :-)

beaker
03-02-2004, 06:43 PM
They would have to get rid of their smoke, flame and inferno then, because they only run on SGI's (HP won't do). I doubt they will do that since even with the school discount those machines are still very expensive.

Hullabaloo
03-03-2004, 12:15 AM
they have i think 2 flints, 1 inferno, and 1 smoke, i think i heard a flame im not 100% i wasn't paying attention while we toured that part of the campus, i just remember them mentioning getting rid of thier SGIS to move with HP , i dont think they will get rid of thier VFX systems that easy, im sure they will keep a couple sgi for Flint, and the rest of the discreet family, just the majority will head out for HP

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.