PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Creo
07-02-2002, 10:05 PM
Hey, I'm new here, just wondering if there is a place(site) where I can find more information on how to draw real with a mix of cartoon into it - maybe even what supplies to use - Or if you guys have any tips on what to use.

Thanks,
Creo

jeroentje
07-02-2002, 11:08 PM
Ehmm... don't know exactly what you mean, but maybe you should try to get some European comics. Not so many overmuscled flyin around superheroes overhere.
Tintin is my alltime favorite... (http://www.tintin.be though the site is not as good as it could be). Belgian, French (and Dutch ;) ) is what I think you're lookin for.

jeroentje

Creo
07-02-2002, 11:32 PM
Well what i mean is if anyone had some tutorials on how to draw cartoons and what to draw with/what to use. Thanks for the help anyway.

puddlefish
07-03-2002, 08:50 AM
To be honest, there is no right way. The best comics are the personal ones, not mass produced ones. Draw whichever way feels natural to you, develop your own individual technique. If you go hunting after other peoples' methods you won't have anything to set you apart. God knows we have enough Bisley and McKean clones in the comic industry!!

The same really goes for materials. Experiment with things even when they shouldn't work (one of my paintings once erupted in flame due to all of the household chemicals and aerosol I had used on it!). For drawing and sketching I usually use a simple ball point biro. It's perfect for me but I've never met another artist who can stand using them.

You're much better off learning theory and appreciation. Learn about volume, form and weight, as well as lighting, then find your own ways to use them effectively.

Hope this doesn't serve to confuse you too much!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.