PDA

View Full Version : New texturing tutorial

datter
07-02-2002, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I just wrote a fairly straightforward tutorial on texturing, to go along with the one I recently wrote about UV mapping.

It can be found in the tutorials section of my short film site at http://www.davidtitusproductions.com/bw

Hope it helps someone.

Thanks,
David

EDIT: May be having some server troubles, if the page is slow loading (or doesn't load) just try again in a bit. Should have it all straightened out soon if it's not by the time you read this.

datter
07-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Might help if I actually add the link to the site huh? hehheh

All set now, and the server problem seems fine to. Again, hope this helps someone.

David

Boa
07-03-2002, 05:09 AM
Thanks, this one is as great as the uv mapping one. Do you plan more tutorials?

Greetings,
Boa

datter
07-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Yes, I will definitely be doing more. This is one of the reasons I started the Become War site so early in production, so I could document the process and maybe use it as a learning aid for other folks out there.

I eventually hope to do tutorials for subd modeling, lip sync, lighting, character animation, FX etc etc.

Glad you like the ones posted so far!

David

leigh
07-03-2002, 12:53 PM
Yeah those are great tutorials, dtitus :thumbsup:
Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing your knowledge and experience :)

rollmops
07-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Amasing how it appears easy to unwrap with max!
Tell me, I'm only working on maya; the orange lines are they manipulators from the projector?
Do you have any "relax" tool?

datter
07-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Those are the control points from the FFD mod which was used to straighten out the boot. Through manipulation of these point you can squash, stretch and pull the model out to better fit into the UV mapping of your choice.

There is a 'relax' in max as well, though it wasn't used on the boot at all. I've used in in that same process however, on faces, heads and other objects with finer detail.

David

Chico
07-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Nice tut dtitus,

I use this exactsame methoa alot. Though with a few small changes.

take mesh, use poly select to grab the required faces, apply FFD (or whatever, bend often works well), apply UVW MAP.

Once I have the map working right, then I apply an UnWrap UVW and that essentaily captures all the UVW settings down the stack, so you can delete the Distrorting Mods and also the UVW Map. I do use Relax alot. IN fact Ive had some insane stacks just to get the mapping right.:buttrock:

Stack
UVW Map
Relax
Bend
FFD
Poly Select
Editable poly

Then

UnWrap UVW
UVW Map
Relax
Bend
FFD
Poly Select
Editable poly

Then

UnWrap UVW
Poly Select
Editable poly

Collapse

Editable poly

NOw this should still perserve all the mapping Co-Ordinates.
If all the UVW maps have a channel of 1 and you just have tidy Face Ids then youll be able to get a really tidy UNWMapping system.

The trick is to not think "How dow I fit the UVWmaps to the object..?"
The thrick is to think "How do I get the Object to fit in the UVWmapping..?"

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.