PDA

View Full Version : Maya 'n' Mental Ray:FUR post-processed

Profane
02-24-2004, 10:08 PM
...Hi guys...
As everybody knows Mental Ray does not support Maya fur,so a lot of people decided to switch to 'Shave and a Haircut '.Actually I don't want to bother myself with that plug-in 'cause I think that the last thing a maya user wants is spending money on a plug in!!So what I thought is that we could try to get rid of this ...(dunno how to name it)...bug/trouble!
The main purpose of this thread is trying to solve this problem by using photoshop....you're probably gonna say to me ...Why with Photoshop?Well...actually I don't know...but I saw a lot of people who use PhShop to fake depth of field or to blur shadows using alpha channel and masks...and so on...it's kinda silly but it might work!I'm a rookie in Photoshop(and also in maya) but from what I saw,Maya Default Render saves in FurImages folder a Z-DEPTH image of the fur and the fur itself on another one,do you think it's possible to combine in photoshop these pics to have a mental ray rendered image with fur...?you know tweaking with alpha channel,masks,layers...

Anyway.I'm sorry for my unacceptable english,for my ignorance and....a lot of other things.:hmm:
see you!

Emmortal1
02-24-2004, 11:59 PM
For what you are talking about it would just be easier to render out the fur with maya's render then comp it in your shot from mental ray.

Emmortal

Jackdeth
02-25-2004, 02:22 AM
Yep. And don't use Z-depth files. They have no AA so the edges are very jaggy. Rendering out a ramp texture or enviorment fog instead. Then it also works with transparecny maps too.

playmesumch00ns
02-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Also if you're rendering with final gathering ro ambient occlusion, it'd be a good idea to bake this into a texture file on your furry base object, then read this texture into the fur for the final render to get some sense of the GI on the fur.

Profane
02-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Jackdeth
Yep. And don't use Z-depth files. They have no AA so the edges are very jaggy. Rendering out a ramp texture or enviorment fog instead. Then it also works with transparecny maps too.
How i can render envoirment fog?
I did not undertsand the procedure.

Emmortal1
02-25-2004, 05:12 PM
How did we go from fur to environment fog? Oh and just so you know, about 90% of the industry uses plugins or some custom software that they've developed. Why not use them to your advantage if that's what they are there for.

Emmortal

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.