PDA

View Full Version : script causing slowdown and crash

tymznd
02-24-2004, 07:27 PM
I have a script that basically migrates a set (containing components) to another object. I have been using it for quite some time with no problems.

Now, as I have developed a set structure that contains other sets, and other sets..... bla bla.... I have written a new script that gets each set and calls the migrating set script.... and at this point when it runs:

-the process starts fast then seems to slow down (total of about 15 mins)
-my laptop begins to heat up and the fan turns on
-when the process finishes, Maya runs very very slow.. and unusable
-and the only way to get out of Maya is to force quit

I am using 5.0 on a Mac 10.2.8 with 512

macaroniKazoo
02-24-2004, 08:48 PM
what's your undo queue set to? try changing it to finite, see if that solves the problem...

other than that, i can't think of a reason why maya would "slow down"... weird indeed.

tymznd
02-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.... yeah, its set to "finite".... and Im pretty sure :hmm: that my script isn't creating a huge array or something like that.

The reason why I quoted my machine specs is that I went to an alias workshop back when they were releasing PLE, and the guy said that macs basically were NOT very good at handling floats..... and my script is running alot of floating calculations..... and it crossed my mind that perhaps this is why my laptop gets so hot when I run this script?????:hmm:

Buexe
02-25-2004, 06:51 AM
I have experienced the same thing here with a script of mine, though on a PC. The reason for the slowdown in my case was that I unintentionally built up a very very large calculation by using += I only had this in there for debugging purposes and after I deleted it my script became fast. Another thing I noticed is that when you have loops, try to clear them on each cycle so that you don`t build up huge arrays. And if your machine is still slow after the script, use "flushUndo" so that the undo queue is emptied.
Maybe this helps, it helped me
good luck
buexe

tymznd
02-26-2004, 09:57 PM
flushUndo;

That did it.....:thumbsup: thanks...

playmesumch00ns
02-28-2004, 04:40 PM
It's always a good idea to turn off undo before running a script with lots of commands. Just ask the user to save first and then go ahead with the undo queue turned off. Everything will be much faster

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.