PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Plane - Cbrk 74, Anacardo (3D)

Anacardo
02-24-2004, 04:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/71114/CbrK_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/71114/CbrK.jpg)

The model was created for a short movie I always wanted to make but never did (it was ANTI-WAR despite what the images might suggest). After two years in the closet, I decided to take it back, finish the texture and render at least this image.
The plane features indipendent rotating engines and ailerons for maximum agility and moves more or less like a falcon (the animal, not the plane). Crew of two (pilot, bomber).

This was my first model completely made in 3dsmax, it's a low poly model created for animation.
http://www.edelrolandi.com/cgchannel/Blu2.jpg

This is the back view. The red dots you see are the lights of the visual communication system (like morse) used in formation flight. Note that the plane has three points of suspension: the carriage in the center and two wheels on the tip of the vertical planes. The two wheels are fixed while the main carriage is steerable.

http://www.edelrolandi.com/cgchannel/sketch.jpg

Here are the main views of the plane. I've tilted one of the engines and the ailerons of the main wings to show what I meant for "rotating engine". Note that the version you see has only fuel tanks and not bombs.

http://www.edelrolandi.com/cgchannel/viewsCbrK74small.jpg

neversong
02-24-2004, 04:27 PM
this is awesome. :D

fsanimate
02-24-2004, 04:32 PM
pretty sweet, kind of looks like a meld between a WWII P51 and a WWII sub. Cool.

Brian

t-toe
02-24-2004, 04:34 PM
wow, that's a really cool design! you did an excellent job weathering the ship too.

EdHarriss
02-24-2004, 04:40 PM
That's a great model with some excellent texture maps. For a low poly model, I think that you've done very well. It looks very effective from every direction except the front and back views. If I did anything to the model, I'd add a little to those profiles. Other than that, I like it a lot.

You've got quite an imagination.

ntmonkey
02-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Anacardo,

That's an awesome idea that you have there. I do hope that you plan to make some sort of animation. I'd love to see it in action so to speak. Anyway, keep up the good work.

peace,

Lu

wrs_anim8r
02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Overall... it rocks.

Personally, it doesn't look like a very stable wheel structure. If there were a couple of secondary wheels to drop from the wings I think it would balance it out (as well as add to the front/back profiles that Ed mentioned).

Aaron
02-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Really beautiful work. That's a great model, but what really gets me is the texturing. The wind-streaked dustiness really works for me. I guess it could be a tiny bit more dirty (the propellers seem a bit clean to me).

Also, you mentioned that it flies like a falcon ... do you have any test animations you've done that demonstrate how this looks? I'm trying to picture it and it seems an odd concept - I'm trying to wrap my mind around an image of a plane flapping its wings and then gliding. A neat idea, but i'm not sure how it would move without looking like it should fall apart (though I suppose that could be the point). Maybe I'm missing the point entirely. Just curious =)

Anywho, that's a marvelous piece of work. Welcome to CGTalk =)

Cheers,
-Aaron.

lord_yupa
02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
:beer:

Great Model!

Meno male che c' anche qualche italiano!

AJ
02-24-2004, 05:11 PM
The model looks fantastic, superbly executed all round.

My only dislike is the wing span - it seems very small for such a huge fuselage... but that could just be down to personal preference.

Strob
02-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Pretty cool. Interesting design somewhere between captain Harlock's Arcadia (Matsumoto Leiji) and Porco Rosso's plane (Miyazaki Hayao). A mix of old and futuristic.

There a little problem with the antialiasing (see the wires at the top of the plane).

I like your textures and lightning!

reCurse
02-24-2004, 05:20 PM
the texturing on this plane is freaking amazing. I am really enjoying the way you've got it looking with these textures. The detail put in with those textures is a great example, to me, of the power of good texturing

but...

the wing span looks small comapared to the size of those engines and the actual body of the plane itself, (fuselage??) Could a plane with a body to wingspan ratio like that really fly? I thought the wingspan had to meet some ratio, i'm not sure, u perhaps may know moer about it than me!!

overall, this is great work, i love it!!
:beer: :beer: :beer:

oh yeah, wouldnt mind a wire!! :bounce:

second glance,
the propellers, first/top picture, the inner texturing (closer to the center of propeller) seems a lil weird to me, it seems like its got some kind of pre-shaded technique going on, or perhaps what may appear to make it work as a displacement/bump map or something but it's just not looking right to me, but hey, that's just me opinion!! what do i know....

kgoossens
02-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Really very nice design:) :)

McSpirit
02-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Awsome :bounce:
You say its low poly but what is the polycount?

Kieguy
02-24-2004, 05:26 PM
I happened to see this beauty a day or 2 ago but didn't stop to comment...congrats on getting front page!

Love the design, the cool mix of retro technology and futuristic design. Did you sketch and plan it out first, or just start right in modeling? Would love to see any sketches, if you're willing.

:thumbsup:

Getrag
02-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Amazing model sir!! :thumbsup:

Love the blend of technologies!

C&C:I cant see the little wheels on the rudders side view.with all the respect, maybe a solution like U-2 or AV8 for the Mk2 version:D ?
Where the bomber goes?
On the nose it looks like a big free fall bomb or a missile that will leave the cockpit/wing part upon release!(just dreaming here!)
Beautiful textures!!
Beg part:do you know a good tut on weathering?Its amazing how it adds realism to the model!

Thanks for sharing your imagination with us !!

Cheers
Getrag out

Supervlieg
02-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Excellent stuff. Great plane design. You should sign up for Crimson skies 3. The design id very reminiscent of the game. You should check it out.

ComatoseWolf
02-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Amazing work.

You said it was part of an short movie, can you show any of the other models you were planning on using?

Wurzabacca

Devilsnok
02-24-2004, 05:39 PM
wow, that's a really cool design!

Mahlikus
02-24-2004, 05:42 PM
OMG! :bowdown: :drool:
WICKED :buttrock:!

Ti-Ki
02-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Really nice plane... The textures are great. :buttrock:

Could you post a wire ? :)

Just one point... why there is a engine in the nose ? The two propelers have already their engines... :shrug:

Alexander.ar
02-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Great model & Awesome render. Takes me to a Wings of Honneamise kind of world. Congratulations. How long did it take?.
:bowdown:

ptaverner
02-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Very cool.

thx1138
02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
You kept this from us for 2 years ? Don't ever do that again :wip:
This blows me away. Very cool. Right up my alley. Wish I had the right brainwaves to come up with something like this ;)

primativ
02-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Can you explain how you lit the scene, what renderer you used?

Ruger
02-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, too bad it's for an anti war peice, but it is very, very nice. I like the lighting and the texture is superb. Ah, it would never fly of course, the canards on the nose only hurt its aerodynamics but its design is pleasing to the eye. Good job. P.S. I love war.

Cararan
02-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Thats an awesome model.

Kodos
02-24-2004, 06:28 PM
When I first saw this I thought it was a plane from that game "Crimson Skies." Your design blows there stuff away.

Great job. I like your presentation as well. Thanks for showing the schematic views.

kodos

Hostil Elektrod
02-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Great Design! and the textures work is awesome!
omg, very nice work of modeling!
:bounce: :buttrock:

nendo
02-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Great model !

I love.

:thumbsup:

igorstshirts
02-24-2004, 06:50 PM
This is way tight!

Raphael-Lacoste
02-24-2004, 06:51 PM
I love your textures! can you please post a sample of it, just to see how much you fake the 3D?

thanks!

raf.

Rezz
02-24-2004, 06:53 PM
low poly? but its sexy as heck!

can we see some wires and poly count?

Mahlikus
02-24-2004, 06:55 PM
*start chanting*

Wires! Wires! Wires! lol

Awesome again. Congrats on the front page. Totally deserved!

:beer: :applause: :thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
02-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Excellent work, I love planes and you have very great ones. The design is very well studied. Good Job!

nose
02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by kgoossens
Really very nice design:) :)

kgoossens? You're Kim? New Member?? Well okay, welcome here then.
(nice article in 3D World ;) )

Nice plane, nice design, although I'm very curious of if it will stay in the air ;)

Jason Park
02-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Whoa, that is awesome! I just can't find any flaws. Can't wait until I get into computer animation program. :p

olijosman
02-24-2004, 07:15 PM
perfect desing! I love it !! :applause: :thumbsup:

Anacardo
02-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Thank you so much for all your nice words and suggestions..
Here come the answers:

Wing span: the wing span is indeed quite little. The canards might helps but very little. Fact is, this plane relies mostly onto its engines, more than onto its wings. The real issue with this concept, wing structural damage apart (due to the repentine change in dirctions) is the fuel consumption ratio... I really doubt this guy would last more than 15 minutes on air..

How it flies: this plane has two mode. The first one is the high speed, fixed mode. The second is the free fall, highly manouvrable mode. In the first mode all the main thusters are fixed into the lock position and the plane flies more or less amid a normal plane and a rocket plane. In free fall mode, engines can rotate indipendently and the ailerons can move indipendently as well.

More answers (on wingspan, balance and carriage) to follow... one sketch meanwhile:

http://www.edelrolandi.com/cgchannel/sketch.jpg

jadedchron
02-24-2004, 07:54 PM
wow.

AndrewE
02-24-2004, 08:15 PM
This is hands down, one the best things I have seen on CGTalk.

No joke, there is some awesome stuff, but this owns them all!

EXCELLENT WORK!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hickory
02-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Dude, nice plane. I have wanted to make a few planes like that for this comic book I have been working on. Ever since Disney's tail Spin and Garbage's video for "Special", I have wanted to make use of plane's like this. Beautiful execution. Lets see this boy in action now :)

character
02-24-2004, 08:22 PM
this is sick. keep up the good work =) the textures are to die for~:thumbsup:

bengal
02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
this is fantastic!!!!!! really!

DimitrisLiatsos
02-24-2004, 08:42 PM
U are killing me here !!! ....Great work on design and texturing. My only suggestion/idea goes to what Ed Harriss and AJ_23 added...

...very cool work :bounce:

Ataru
02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
I love it! great work, do you have a wireframe to show? when I first saw it I thought it was a painting, It's really a cool model and concept. Also I would like to know a bit about this "anti war" concept, cause I'm confused as to how a bomber fits into anti war :P

Anacardo
02-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I've tried to post some reply before.. but I really couldn't find it... Dunno...

thanks for all your nice comments: thanks thanks thanks. And thanks for all the critics!!
Here comes some more answers:

Wingspan: Wings are short, the lack of lift is countermeasured by the presence of three engines. Two propeller and one mixed. Some asked about the third engine: it is used to drive all the idraulics (rotating engines and indipendent ailerons) and it provides additional thrust to the all thing (mixed jet and rocket)... at least it SHOULD. (note the "should".. )

Carriage: the airplane has a central rotating carriage and two small wheels on the back thing (when on the ground, the plane has three point of suspensions and lies slightly rotated with the nose upwards) . But please note:

THIS PLANE IS ALMOST SITTING DUCK ON THE GROUND!!! (I loved the contradiction of this aspect... this way its like an albatross)

IT HAS TO BE CARRIED
IT HAS TO BE MOVED
IT CAN'T EVEN TAKE OFF BY ITSLEF.

I thought of a special truck that should be used for the purpose. The plane is lifted and then pulled from the back by the truck (you can see some attach mechanism on the back of the plane). Even during take off the plane is kept linked to the truck till it has enough power to lift the backside off the ground.

http://www.edelrolandi.com/cgchannel/camionsketch.jpg
The truck... Not yet modeled.

MIssing textures: some of you noted the lack of textures here and there... or at least the lack of dirt. TRUE! some textures are missing (rotating blades for example.. the thing was supposed to be moving.. therefore I didn't create textures for the blades and used some noise instead.. shame on me....) Others are missing because a second more detailed model should have been created for closeups.. I was waiting to have the second one to create the textures... One thing completely missing is the cockpit (only a mokup)

More in future posts.

DogBreath
02-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Really beautiful work, would'nt it be nice to see a whole short, or even better a movie with these kinds of designs and textures.
Even if it was made by a team.

And you say it was in the closet for 2 years, I never heard of a closet 3D Modeller and texture artist, but I would suggest you put it on your CV. Congrats on the front page, and welcome to CGTalk, looking foward to seeing more of your work.

It reminds me of the detail in the models in "The Hunt " and " Code Gaurdian".

I like your site, I had a look at the beta and it was very impresive.

Bliz
02-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Awesome work. The research, thought and creativity needed to come up with this is blatantly obvious in the final result.

pogonip
02-24-2004, 10:01 PM
It LOOKS cool , but I dont get the front being so long ..and the mechanical look ?? I mean the engines are on the wings so what purpose does it serve to have all that engine looking stuff in the front ??? ...well maybe estetics huh ;)

Mahlikus
02-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Thats the third engine he mentioned...
Read his post.

Guybrush
02-24-2004, 10:20 PM
amazing work dude...really nice concept

ionee
02-24-2004, 10:21 PM
...i like the textures und light!

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
02-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Hi Anacardo, is this yr first model? man thats damn good.:bounce:

kausss
02-24-2004, 10:55 PM
awesome! that's all! :thumbsup:

zzzrByte
02-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Wow, I was looking for inspiration for my next 3d project... And I just found it in your work.

I don't know how to give a bigger compliment then saying your work is a source of inspiration!

I would love to see more, including additional sketches (your beta site is quite confusing... I got lost in there)

jaygee
02-24-2004, 11:36 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!
omg... u just changed my life.

jaygee
02-24-2004, 11:37 PM
seriously... thats the cooolest, most most most most coolest thing ive seen in the longest time.

jaygee
02-24-2004, 11:40 PM
they could just plop them in a hollywood movie and i would PAY to see it.

Benton
02-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Great job! I like the design, and the texture is wonderful!:bounce:

Lekku
02-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Can we see Wireframes??????

rayz
02-25-2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Lekku
Can we see Wireframes??????

wonderful stuff and yeah what he said :thumbsup:

Deathcricket
02-25-2004, 06:09 AM
Very nice model, my question is regarding the anti war comments.

I'm trying to imagine what this plane would actually be used for if not for combat. I mean it's extremely agile with plenty of horsepower. Dogfight city baby! Nearly every aircraft is built for war in some fashion, what is your plan for this one?

Interesting design, I'm sure you must have interesting plans regarding this feature as well. Would love to hear your thoughts.

-Deathcricket Out-

doo
02-25-2004, 07:17 AM
WOW! I'm also looking forward to see the animation ;)

I think the style is very Final Fantasy VII, really love the retro-hi-tech touch.

Anacardo
02-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Thank you so much for all the critics and the nice words :), I'm sorry I can't answer you at the moment (I'm working :cry: ) but I will as soon as I can.
A few quick answers though:

Wireframes: I will as soon as I get back from work.

Anti war: There were combat scenes, there was pain and killing in the short movie (at least in my mind) But the overall message was against war. I know it might seems twisted, but it should have been quite evident. (maybe someday I'll write the entire story)

Animation: I decided to render at least some 10 secs of combat I've already planned. So you'll definitely see those. The rest of the movie.. well... :rolleyes: Anyway it won't be much soon. Sorry about that...

More in future posts. Thanks again!

NightSky
02-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Great work man! You definately put alot of thought & effort into this project, and it really shows. It reminds me a bit of the aircraft in *english title* "Castle in the Sky, by Hayao Miyazaki. You're very inspiring!

fabriciomicheli
02-25-2004, 10:20 AM
texturing is awesome buddie...

Im expecting to see the movie very soon...:buttrock:

raine
02-25-2004, 10:56 AM
very nice model..... really like your textures and lighting

raine
02-25-2004, 11:02 AM
mmm forgot to mention... i would also like to see some wires if possible :)

mikepolizos
02-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Awesome ork man!
Outstanding textures!

Well Done!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anacardo
03-05-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm so sorry for the delay. I'm quite busy and all my free time is going versus -> girlfriend -> Plane animation.

But since I'm using a dummy for anim, the model so far is back in the drawer... anyway here are the wires...

http://www.edelrolandi.com/cgchannel/wire1.jpg

and back view:

http://www.edelrolandi.com/cgchannel/wire2.jpg

Keep in mind that this was (two years ago) my first model completely made into 3dmax... there's lot of wrong stuff (like engines)... Anyway, the anim is going along slowly.. but it's coming and it should be longer than 10secs (now something like a minute and a half or so)

Uh, almost forgot when creating the animation,
this strange thing happened when tweaking the scene. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127469)

Hostil Elektrod
03-17-2004, 01:38 PM
OH! Yes Im wanted this wires some time :beer:
Great work but the wire is so fully for this viewport snaps or u want work with those wire resolution every time?

again I say it, great work mate, I want see the Truck!! :buttrock:
Very nice concept :drool:

Sieb
03-17-2004, 04:13 PM
While the wings might be a bit stubby to produce enough lift, its still pretty sweet. Textures are great. Very Crimson Skys, which rocks. :thumbsup:

Skyraider3D
03-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Crimson Sky-ish indeed! Quite nice. From an aeronautical point of view practically impossible to fly though :)

The wireframe looks a bit messy and dense though... but who cares, the renders look great! :thumbsup:

nightmaredns
03-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Is that a low poly model? From the denseness of the wireframe I'd say it's a rather highly detailed model. The animation will sure look great if that's the case.

keep up the good work...great looking plane.

ps. I will never test pilot that thing :P

dave_baer
04-02-2004, 04:58 PM
wow! These are really nice. Kinda "Feng Zhu-ish" style. I likes! :):):)

infectedMIND
09-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Good Work!
Well Done:thumbsup:

traptinmyself113
11-10-2004, 10:11 PM
its an awsome model

the only thing i dont get is why the propellers, those look like jet engines

psycho1
11-29-2004, 02:53 PM
plane looks awsome its between wwII and wwI. or something in between just great.:twisted:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.