PDA

View Full Version : Modeling/Rigging Capabilities

StephanD
02-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Hello,I'm a wingedhead neighbor interested in Blender.

Sorry for the Blender newbie questions btw.

As everyone has probably seen in the bayplaymirai.avi video,Raitt rigs part of his character,changes the poses of the shoulders to an extreme,accordingly modifies the geometry by either adding/removing or simply translating vertice/edges,resets the pose back and goes on to modeling again,comes back later and adds a pre-rigged hand on the arm etc....Which of this is possible in blender?

I think this is a pretty slick workflow and would like to be able to know of a similar method for working on the animatability of my characters similarly...

Thanks in advance

dani
02-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Hello

What is feasable from what you said?
Hum, let me think...

You can armature (rig) a model and animate, of course.
I think you can combine mesh animation and armature deformation on one single model.
ie. you could twist the shoulder>save the pose (insert a key frame), edit the mesh to correct some verts (move them) (though this could be troublesome since when you edit an object, it is put at rest - this could be a feature request, in the meantime you'll need to enter/exit edit mode a lot, but if you know what you're doing -no probs) and insert a mesh key.

Limitations: if you change the armature deformation's timing, you'll need to change the mesh key manually too (it'd be nice to have them all packed as one single ACTION, maybe it's already feasible, I'm no expert in the animation system)

You cannot add verts to an object during an animation... this has to be thought of before. Again it could be nice to animate and when you realise there's a mesh missing somewhere you add it and everything gets updated -feature request? :)

You can attach pre-rigged stuff to other rigged object, though you might need to reassign some deformation groups...

All in all, it won't be as easy as in mirai...

But I may be wrong on some points...

Dani

Apollux
02-24-2004, 08:38 PM
StephanD, honestly I couldn't understand your question... can you post the link to the avi you mentioned?
:shrug:

StephanD
02-26-2004, 12:35 PM
StephanD, honestly I couldn't understand your question

Sorry...and I thought I was good in English,doh,my mistake!

Here you go,it's the character modeling video(Last one)

http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/movies/movies.html

Apollux
02-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Some Short answers:

Originally posted by StephanD
Raitt rigs part of his character,changes the poses of the shoulders to an extreme,accordingly modifies the geometry by either adding/removing or simply translating vertice/edges,resets the pose back and goes on to modeling again

NO - in Blender, whenever you modify the geometry, the pose temporary reset itself and when you are done with the geometry modifications the pose re-asume itself.

comes back later and adds a pre-rigged hand on the arm etc..

YES - that is pretty easy to do. Just use the ¨append¨ command from the file menu to use your already made .blends like libraries. You can even re-use animation data if the data was made using bone actions.

StephanD
03-01-2004, 01:18 PM
-NO - in Blender, whenever you modify the geometry, the pose temporary reset itself and when you are done with the geometry modifications the pose re-asume itself.

That should do it :)

-YES - that is pretty easy to do. Just use the ¨append¨ command from the file menu to use your already made .blends like libraries. You can even re-use animation data if the data was made using bone actions

Very interesting,I didn't expect Blender to be that flexible,so I can save my animated models' skeletons to re-use them on other meshes right?

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the explanations so far

Apollux
03-01-2004, 06:01 PM
so I can save my animated models' skeletons to re-use them on other meshes right?

Yeap!!

It works like this: You rig your ¨base¨ character and store some animations in the rig, like a walk cycle or jumping, sitting... whatever! (Those animations are called ¨actions¨ in Blender).

Then, when you need to re-use the rigging on another character, use the APPEND command and import the ¨armature¨ (Blender's name for a rig) of the base character... and both the rig and the animation associated with it will be passed over to your new model.

NOTE: When using the append command, if you select Append -> Armature only the bones will be copied from the old model, but if you select Append->Object->Armature them the bones AND the animations will be copied over.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.