PDA

View Full Version : characters : quatuor (wooden figurines)

fraa
02-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Here are two proposals of cover for a classical music album (featuring a quatuor, hence the name of the post)

It shows the musicians in a non-realistic way, standing with their instruments on the image #1 and having some tough discussion about music on the image #2.

http://fra.dozign.com/posts/sh_render_01.jpg

---

http://fra.dozign.com/posts/sh_render_02.jpg

here you are,
enjoy ('hope so:))

fraa
02-24-2004, 12:26 PM
...and a few closer views even if, well, the modeling is kindof basic

http://fra.dozign.com/posts/sh_close_01.jpg
--
http://fra.dozign.com/posts/sh_close_02.jpg

voila voilaaaa

Rio Yeti
02-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Nice!

But you should work on the composition of both images... I don't know, I have a feeling of "nothing's going on", when you could do a more dynamic image that would corelate with a Jazz feeling (even if you wanted classical musicians... with the color and atmosphere I feel it more Jazz) ;)

Try placing them differently, and working on a camera angle that makes the eye look over the image in a dynamic way.

e338
02-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Cool, good mix.

i prefer the second picture, poses are more natural. You should try some crops on both images, composition is a bit poor.
Rendering is really cool, specially on the legs and feet.
To be continued in my opinion (a naughty little doggy one). SeeYa.

Plays_4_Pants
02-26-2004, 03:02 PM
I love the style and I love the red. It's bold yet beautiful...like the soap opera. Anyway, the suggestion I have that I think will really pull these pictures off will be to make each character more unique and more familiar to the instruments that they play. The one with the bigger instrument should have more weight. In other words, do what you did with the faces, but with the entire body.

I bet somebody will suggest that u soften the shadows, but I would disagree, it adds style and really adds interest to the composition.

Z1K0B4
02-26-2004, 03:19 PM
I really like what you have going here. I like the theatrical presence, and style, but for album art for a classical CD? hmmm, i dont know, those figures... well. its a stretch from what one would expect. but something you might try.. what if only the shadows of the figures were present, not the figures themselves, stretched across the image. might be something interesting to compose.

fraa
02-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks you people for all those *constructive* critics !

I understand I should work this proposal in a more evocative or tense manner.

It is interesting to note that the client finally chose my boss' proposal, far more evocative indeed, using CG & photo. I will post it if you want...
Nevertheless, he (the client) found this proposal very attractive, but not really suitable for classical music. So it seems you guys were right all along the way :)

Plays_4_Pants, i found your idea very clever and, ooh, so obvious :')
I should enhance each character's personnality. At first i did an attempt to model the hairs, but it was a despaired failure, and i admit i didn't touched the bodies.

thx again for these *previous* comments !

bad_math
02-27-2004, 04:24 AM
I like the idea, but I think it would be more engaging if the musicians were playing their instruments in the first picture, or talking with each other in the second.

Anyway, cool work. I really like your style.

fraa
02-27-2004, 06:39 AM
thx bad math ! i watched your site, interesting and unusual stuff on it. 'reminds me, in a certain way, some works by J. Engleman, focusing on essential things : lights, venus figures ...

Incube
02-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Hey, i played that piece a couple of years ago! Itīs quite nice, but really difficult to get together, i can imagine the musicians having many discussions over it!

I like the overal look and feel of it. But in the 2nd picture they could be looking more at eachother, since they are talking to eachother...
The first picture is quite good: It looks like they are on the stage and are about bow to the public. As it is a string-quartet they would be seated while playing so some chairs would be in place.
Also the violin of the first violin-player looks a bit smaller than the violin of 2nd. I think the viola should be a bit bigger. I also think that the 2nd violin-player wouldnīt hold his violin like that, certainly not on stage.
I donīt know if youīre going to change any of it, but these are just some things i noticed...

Pibre3d
02-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Very very nice. I like it.

golem
02-27-2004, 11:24 AM
nice
it could be appropriate for a kraftwerk video.
ther'se a chance to expand the modeling with something else for characters interaction?

golem

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.