PDA

View Full Version : Cutting holes into meshes

NMarzian
07-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Hi there,

I am wondering how holes can be cut into any mesh without using Boolean Operations and without leaving any errors in the resulting object.
For now I am working on a dinosaur's skull which has some big holes like eye sockets, nasal cavities and sinuses. For the first try I cut out some polygons and smoothed the edges around the new holes. The problem is that the mesh is not closed any more which leads to some errors later on. There is just a "Nothing" instead of a correct modelled border.
What would you suggest to do? I would be glad to see you guys giving me some hints. ;)
By the way, I am using 3ds max 4.

Thank you in advance, bye,

Noryx

kandyman
07-02-2002, 06:14 PM
extrude inwards.

NMarzian
07-03-2002, 08:15 AM
But when I am just extruding inwards there is still no hole. All I would have is just a kind of tunnel which is closed at the other end, wouldn't I?

bombyx
07-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Not if you delete the faces you just extruded, this would give you a tunnel with the hole at the end of it .But you could maybe try a solidify modifier on the mesh with a hole in it, it would give him thickness, and you could see the inside of the skull through the holes.....

NMarzian
07-03-2002, 10:38 AM
That is a great idea. I have to thank you both for your help. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.