PDA

View Full Version : character: Tempus...pretty much finished

NeD[3D]
02-24-2004, 03:20 AM
Hi all!!

it's been a while! Hope everyone is doing well.

Well it's been a slow start, my university classes have been keeping me really busy, but I finally got this guy more or less done.

http://www.ned-art.com/tempus2full.jpg

http://www.ned-art.com/tempus2posed.jpg

He turned out at 3115 polys. I hope you guys like it.

Comments and crits greatly appreciated as usual!!

:)

SecretAgent
02-24-2004, 03:33 AM
Hey Ned! You do outstanding work and this is no exception! Personally I think you've got that perfect blend of bringing a nice stylistic touch to your 3D characters (work like this always inspires me). Did you work from any concept art? I'd love to see wires, txtr map and any concepts you made for him. Looks awsome!

ironikart
02-24-2004, 03:34 AM
wow... very nice! got any wire shots?

I like the difference of the left and right hand side, it adds alot of character. How large is the texture map?

NeD[3D]
02-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi!

Actually this character is a re-design of a different character i did a couple of years ago for a Quake III mod.

Anyway some of the stuff you asked for:

Better view of the head :

http://www.ned-art.com/headclose.jpg

Wireframe (sorry for the large size, someone on a different forum asked for it to also have a closeup wireframe of the head)

http://www.ned-art.com/tempus_wire1.jpg

The doodle i did as a design is here:

http://www.ned-art.com/tempus2.jpg

ironikart: The head is mapped onto a 256 x 256, and the body is 512 x 512.

thanks again guys!

pseudoBug
02-24-2004, 04:08 AM
Very nice. Original and bold design and implementation. This really Pops! The asymmetry gives it loads of wonderful character.

Love your concept sketch as well.

TRyanD
02-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Thats awsome!

kevinology
02-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Excellent model ned, he has alot of style and character! His thumbs look a little bit too long, which should be easy to fix. How many polys are in his hair?

rob-beddall
02-24-2004, 01:12 PM
hey!!

yeah man!!
that guy rocks.
but yeah, his thumb is way too long. ( unless that what you are going for. in which case it's probably just about right :)

cheers!!
#keep up the good work.

EVIL
02-24-2004, 04:44 PM
woah, your the guy from DBQ. whatever happened to it! anyway, looks very cool :thumbs: !

misterboogie
02-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Wow!! That's friggin beautiful!

Right-click and save as!!

Very Squarish style pulled off nicely!

JonasNoell
02-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Most nicely done! Very nice skincolors and great concept. Definitely deserves a plug for gameart if you ask me, there were already much worse game chars plugged. Keep it up. Any way to show the flats?

baaah888
02-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Is your poly count in tri's or actual polys.

either way its still mint, but if its about 3k tri's then thats even better ( as a fan of low poly work :) )

a truely beautiful model

Jason Park
02-25-2004, 01:29 PM
That is beautiful and professional! You must be very talented! :)

Boondock Saint
02-25-2004, 04:38 PM
this is really sweet. how much time total do you think you spent on modeling and texturing. are there enough verts in his knees and elbows to bend properly? anyway...this is a really nice model.

quinox
02-25-2004, 10:14 PM
reminds me of the char from Scryed (as far as my memory goes ^_^)

great work dude !

Larry_g1s
02-25-2004, 10:24 PM
:claps: Wohoo !

Man that's sharp, outstand job. Everything is so clean. I love the texturing job. Any particular insparation for this model? Any particular game, type, genre?

luhna
02-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Great work *_^

UncleSilas
02-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Nice work Ned! As usual, this is beautiful stuff. Gallery quality if I do say so. I'll always be jealous of your amazing talents. You should post some of your other recent characters, if you haven't already.

(this is Mark btw ;) )

NeD[3D]
02-25-2004, 10:32 PM
WOW!!

never thought i'd get so many replies or a frontpage spot with this!

Thanks again everyone!

To the gentleman that asked: YES it's 3115 Triangles

Also:

I got my inspiration just from looking at alot of different action/adventure games and RPG's. I just saved alot of pictures of stuff that I liked, and just sort of said "Well it's going to be a kind of Action-guy", and played around with stuff.

I think what was most important to me was taking the original version of this guy i did two years ago and refining him. I wanted to make him look a bit more elegant and dynamic.

WOW this is really overwhelming!!

Thanks again everybody!

Jesse-Irvin
02-26-2004, 12:15 AM
looking cool!

Maxim_311
02-26-2004, 12:57 AM
what kind of training/schooling did you get...and from where?

Plays_4_Pants
02-26-2004, 12:57 AM
It looks great...no doubt about it. But other than the goofy (and i mean really goofy) arm, it looks pretty much like a final fantasy rip off. Of course, that has its ups and downs. Usually, that means that you made a really cool unbelievable looking anime pretty boy with soft colors.

That's cool and all, just promise me ull never make a grey haired "bad guy"

BryanSilva
02-26-2004, 01:04 AM
I love it, just had to give you the praise that you deserve. Plus we Game Art Design frequenters dont get enough frontpage love. :)

BoBo-the-seal
02-26-2004, 02:48 AM
Fantastic work! His head really makes it for me. I think the arm could use a little extra work but really helps break up the design. Nice job all around.

- BoBo

Rezz
02-26-2004, 02:59 AM
lets see some texture layout lovin!

RainAndRedGlass
02-26-2004, 03:41 AM
absolutely professional grade. now seein ghis facial expressions he seems to have a personality, so its even better.
Love it, love it.

happosai311
02-26-2004, 03:49 AM
great model! I love the concept.

NeD[3D]
02-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Hi again guys!

Ok first thing first, i collaged the textures for Tempus together into one image so you guys can check it out all together.

You can check that here:

http://www.ned-art.com/full_texture.jpg

Anyways, sorry about the goofy arm, i designed it for a game project I've been thinking of, so the arm does have a purpose, although it's not obvious at all just from looking at it!

To the gentleman that asked, I'm currently doing Bachelor of Fine Arts at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. My emphasis is painting and drawing, so it's not reallt a game school type of degree, but I think that it's by far the best choice in studies that i have made, and i wouldn't change to a different program for anything, it's really unbelievable how a good art training is important to all kinds of art forms.

Well thanks again (especially to you Bobo i hear i owe you thanks for getting the model on the frontpage - so thank you VERY much). Also thanks to everyone else who posted kind words!

:D

BiTMAP
02-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Wow, that is exactly the artistic style i want for my own game project (HLČ mod) and the fact that you are able to keep a low poly count (I believe in less is more, even if you have a higher budget, don't needlessly exceed it).

If your interested I AM looking for a character modeler/ animator/texture artists, I know there isn't much on the site, some of it is simply becuase we havn't gotten to it, and some of it is becuase of its nature. We want to be the first ones doing the things we do, so we need to keep it hush hush. Its a full Singleplayer and multi-player Mod however. No money sorry if you need the cash, then you'll be best working elsewhere, but its experience, and I've seen plenty of mods go places and people get jobs.

the website : www.nemusdev.com

AlbertArt
02-26-2004, 06:08 AM
I like the character design. Are you familiar with Phantasy Star online? the design is similar.

stiffmeister
02-26-2004, 08:47 AM
hey nerd,

really good job. it looks smooth and dynamicly how do you want it :) i think especially the cape (or something like that) makes him ellegant and cool looking!

great texture work! great poly work!

oxyg3n
02-26-2004, 02:08 PM
This is a really cool model. I like it alot.

cdinic
02-26-2004, 04:22 PM
I saw the image on the front page and thought, "my god that sucks!" and clicked it to make shure I was right... turnes out it's pretty damn good.. but that front page pic really blew. My point: the ears need work, I like the syle your going for but it doesn't come together. First impression of the head shot was really poor. Otherwise an amzing model!

-Chris

hellbender
02-26-2004, 04:55 PM
my god...you are definatly my hero :) awesome work....the textures are pure sugar.....

Xtrude
02-26-2004, 06:35 PM
no crits here, looks cool :) and thx for posting the wire, it sure helps me understand some things much better

Devilsnok
02-26-2004, 08:18 PM
FANTASTIC!!

mrtprodz
02-26-2004, 11:20 PM
amazing work! you'r very talented! i checked your website and i've been simply amazed about your work!

Stillwell
02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Hello!

Good job with the textures and the posing! Did you model his weapon?

I would like to know what technique you used to model this great character.

flaagan
02-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Yay NeD! Way to go a show them high poly and 2d artists who's boss! Front page for yet another game modeler!

Beastie
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
FLAWLESS VICTORY! Lol, sorry thats what came to mind when I looked at this model, not because it looks like a MK model but because its perfectly designed, modeled, rigged, and textured! Amazing piece at such a low poly count!!

mehdianim
03-05-2004, 01:16 AM
very cool design, model and textures.
Love the character!

the178
03-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Coooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good job

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.