PDA

View Full Version : OnePiece Character and Facial Anim Setup

MistaLobsta
02-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi All!

This is something that seems to plague all my designs...I like to make them one piece. Well.. Head and Body anyway.

I'm trying to figure out whats the best way to set up a character with this pre - disposition. Should I just make a whole bunch of full bodied Blend Shapes? or try some sort of Cluster or Bone Rig?

Someone once told me that I can detach the head from the body, then match the skin weights at the border edges of both pieces of GEO, or overlapp the two pieces and match the overlap points..then alpha out one row of faces so they dont render out any wierdness. I've just never been able to get it to work properly.

So I guess my question is....What would be the most effective production tested way of going about a one peice model for Facial Animation.

Thanks

john_homer
02-23-2004, 10:05 PM
duplicate just the head, make blendshapes with that, wrap that (with a tiny 0.001 max distance) to a duplicate of you entire body, (all the head points should be in exactly the same place) apply that to your skinned character as a blendshape.

.j

Nemises
02-23-2004, 10:42 PM
^^ ohhhhhh..

Thanks for that John, I've been wondering about the same dilema for a while (allthough I haven't yet tried to solve it)..

Good to know Wraps are that dynamic.

john_homer
02-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Nemises
^^

Good to know Wraps are that dynamic.

wraps are clunky, memory hungry pieces of %&*$%^...
but sometimes you just gotta use them.. ;)

.j

MistaLobsta
02-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks John,

I remember trying that out a while back...but I remember that it really slowed down interactivity. Would that setup be more efficient than making full body blends? (btw..the character is 6091 faces unsmoothed). My goal is to have realtime interactivity while working with it.....I guess I could just display the Wrap Head in my proxy layer...hmmm.

Are there any other routes I can take?

lricho
02-24-2004, 01:13 AM
I guess I could just display the Wrap Head in my proxy layer...hmmm.
Yep, i've found the best way is to put the wrapped mesh into a different layer and just hide it when i want interactivity, and unhide it at rendertime.

DrAdamDinosaur
02-25-2004, 08:57 PM
wouldn't having a small overlap between the head and neck still cause wierdness and gaps after smoothing?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.