PDA

View Full Version : LowPolyBullets:

pseudoBug
02-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Hey all,

I sat down this evening, and decided to model something simple, as It would allow me to progress through the entire modeling process quickly, thus, not becoming frustrated or bored with any of the process.

this is my first ever completed, and textured model. It is not yet rigged, as it's very complex, and I'm not yet sure how to set it up to be able to get full articulation. :P heehee.
(i've got one other model that I started before this in order to learn... just about everything actually. It's a low poly robot head.)

The texture is My first ever completed, and it's entirely hand painted in photoshop7. I'm aware of the fact that the texture space is not used properly(actually the texture is 512x512, I just cropped it for posting, so there's actually lots of space that's not used.) but, that's something I'll worry about down the road.

By the way, In case you wonder, like I do, when someone says it's their "first model/texture" yes, I've dabbled with modeling, and have done webdesign, so I've had some experience with photoshop, and Max. (less with max) , just no finished models, or 3d textures. I've been playing with this for a while, and finally am starting to get the hang of it.

Anywho, It's not much of a model, but I got a kick out of making it, and learned a lot on the way. It turned out much better than I expected. Now I will move on to bigger things! Or, maybe I'll just model lot's of different bullets!

(I'm so giddy)heehee.

I'd Like to thank all of you who's tutorials, and advice i've read on these boards. It's helped me a lot.

p.s. If anyone does notice, yes the 7.62x54 round is supposed to be rimmed, and not ACP style, but to save on poly's, (and due to lazyness) I've changed that. think of it as my own custom round. :p

http://tinysuperbug.com/hosted/bullets_render1.jpg
http://tinysuperbug.com/hosted/bullet_tex_wire.jpg

rob-beddall
02-23-2004, 02:49 PM
hey!!

well, there isn't really a lot to say.
it all looks nice enough.
tho i think you could get rid of the split where the shell meets the case.? ( are they the names? i know nothing about bullets) :)
you could get rid of them and save some poly's without even noticing the difference in shape. and seeing as they are only bullets that's probably a good thing

keep up the good work.
cheers!!

pseudoBug
02-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks Rob,
I think you mean where the shell meets the bullet. case and shell are the same thing, put it together with a primer, powder and a bullet, and you've got a round!

You're probably right, on saving poly's that way, although I'm not sure if this bullet would be low poly enough for a game anyway. Although for a next generation engine, it might be used for a first person weapon model. ???

To all those other people out there who are looking, and not commenting. . . . Please do! Crit, bash, whatever. (ok, don't bash, but let me know what you think, and where I could improve)

Thanks!

nattnewman
03-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey there,

Nice texturing, I'm sure you could do a little more with it if you wanted, but good enough :P.

This kinda reminded me of my lowpoly box - however I was sick of looking at something i was working on so I textured a cardboard box.

Anyhoo, keep up the modelling, texturing, and posting at CGTalk!

Cheers,

Nathan.

pseudoBug
03-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Hey hey! another reply to my first thread!

Seriously, I thought this thread was dead. (hey, that rhymes). I understand though, as it's not a whole lot to look at.

Thanks for the compliment on the textures though. They turned better than I expected. I'll definitely keep on posting up my new works here though. I'm going to wait on my wacom before I start texturing anything else. It works fine with the mouse on something simple, like the bullet, but on something like a face, It's a little tougher. It's just being sent out tommorow, so it should be here soon! Yeehaa!!

CADster
03-09-2004, 05:42 AM
looks ok to me...

go for the additional 24 triangles needed to notch the shell :D

BiTMAP
03-09-2004, 05:58 AM
actualy you do need that split for the shape of the bullets tip becuase it doesn't start rounding till the end of the caseing.

pseudoBug
03-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the comments All.

@cadster: Thanks, and I might have done that, but I wanted to keep it reasonably low poly.

@Bitmap: I agree, that looks the best, but if I did have to take some polys out, I'd probably not taper it at all, until the middle of the bullet.

I also noticed a highlight problem in the bottom of the case. Needs rotating!

nattnewman
03-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey pseudoBug,

Couldn't help notice you mention using a mouse to texture.

It really does depend on your mouse in my opinion - I think it's impossible to draw will an ordinary mouse with a ball. The second any dirt gets on those rollers you can feel bump after bump as you try to do a steady line. I just been using a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for a good two years now, and although I don't think mice are the best things in the world for art, you can achieve alot with them!

As it happens I too am getting a wacom this month, so I guess I was trying to say theres nothing wrong with using a mouse! hehe :) (searches for mouse icon.... :( cant see one).

I've been using a mouse to paint all kinds of textures, and yep, its not ideal to use one for hi end character textures, but quite alot can be achieved on smaller texture maps. I have seen the light for a long time, and known I would be better off with a tablet for some things, but perhaps more surprising is that I'm really wanting the tablet to do my concept work on PC so I dont have to keep buying Tria markers!

Cheers,

Nathan.

pseudoBug
03-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Don't worry Natt, I've not had to use a regular mouse for a couple of years. Optical is the only way to fly! I agree that you cand do a decent amount with a mouse, but where it fails greatly is the fact that there is no pressure sensitivity. I end up having to use smudge much more than I'd like, and I know that if I had a tablet, it would be much more intuitive for me.

Thanks again for all the comments!

amola2k
03-20-2004, 06:49 PM
i like the textures u used ! :)
keep it up
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.