PDA

View Full Version : Cartoony model for review..

SPruss
01-25-2002, 09:15 AM
www.nutcorner.com/rat_01.jpg (http://www.nutcorner.com/rat_01.jpg)

Hi guys! I've been watching this forum from the side for a few days now, and I must say that I'm very impressed by the quality of the work that people expose here! wow! ;)
Anyway, here is my contribution! My newest model that I'd like to recieve some critisism for!

Raul-Reznek
01-25-2002, 09:43 AM
NIce char man, put soem lights in it and MIX IT UP!
The little dude would look REALLY cool with some ILLUSTRTE.
Hey don't feel bad man, I feel like the speck of the damn forum.

lildragon
01-25-2002, 10:36 AM
I really like this model bud, maybe it's just me and my cartoon bone, but I love it :) not much to crit, nicely done character ;)

just give him some textures, rig him, build a scene and he's done :)

http://www.nutcorner.com/rat_01.jpg

and welcome to the forum http://66.70.72.50/forums/images/smilies/wavey.gif

JacquesD
01-25-2002, 10:48 AM
Clean modeling, looks a bit like 'Fievel'.:)

coreybastiaans
01-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Cool character.

I really like the stitching in his clothes. keep it up.

SPruss
01-25-2002, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys!

I'll look into skinning him soon! I only know 3d modeling and animation, and I wish to become an all round kind guy! So I'll take it one step at a time, and next up is skinning! ..I'm getting sick of all my models being "jesus" posed! :(

Question!: how do you post a thread with the picture automaticly popping up, instead of just leaving an url?

lildragon
01-25-2002, 12:59 PM
use the img button just above where you type ;) also I just realized I had you bookmarked long time ago in my favorites, I really like your style of characters, and was hoping you got that big brawny guy finished :)

you're using max correct?

epatnor
01-25-2002, 01:25 PM
Oooh I'm a total sucker for cartoonish design too... Very nice! :)

-JT-
01-25-2002, 02:14 PM
I'm always impressed with a nice cartoony character, this one looks really good. Well done. :)

SPruss
01-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Yes, I'm a sucker for toony stuff! ;)

I use Maya polygons to create my models! I used to be a 3DS MAX user, but since I got into a company that used Maya I got hooked, I love that package! ;) ..but currently I'm working at Framestore and here we animate using SoftImage, so I'm getting used to a little of everything! I want to be specialized in Maya though, as I find that to be the best package for my taste!

To Lildragon: what brawny guy?! :) ..I only have cute furry animals and sweet old ladies on my site! Maybe you got me mixed up with some other guy! ..but you're welcome to ad my site in your links section anytime you want! ;)

Raul-Reznek
01-25-2002, 02:42 PM
it is vey hard to explain cause the computer sees the process as an image so every time i try it shows my expenation as an image like this asd

Yake a look at this.
http://www.raph.com/3dartists/forums/f-help.html
Scroll down untill u see something beginning with [img]
THAT'S it.

lildragon
01-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Stefan Pruss
To Lildragon: what brawny guy?! :) ..I only have cute furry animals and sweet old ladies on my site! Maybe you got me mixed up with some other guy! ..but you're welcome to ad my site in your links section anytime you want! ;)

oh no no , you're the right chap :) http://www.nutcorner.com/animation/catsaloon_divx.avi that brawny guy heheh, I love that character :)

http://www.nutcorner.com/animation/thumb_catsaloon.gif

SPruss
01-25-2002, 03:17 PM
Ah yes, that guy! ;) ..he was modelled by a friend of mine! I just did the animation! That is my problem, I always have to rely on other peoples models as I haven't learned the skinning process yet! But that is why I build this rat! I want him to be my lab rat! he's going to be modelled (obviously), skinned, textured, and posed! NO MORE JESUS POSES!!! :D

Ps. Sorry for the very inactive website! I've had little time! But I hope to rewamp my site in the early summer, featuring my models posed! and animation from my current work project "Dinotopia"

lildragon
01-25-2002, 03:19 PM
awesome I'll look forward to it :)

Daxx
01-25-2002, 03:22 PM
I Love this toon!!ahhahh Jesus pose?? lol!! i have always called Leonardo pose ^_^

toce
01-26-2002, 08:55 AM
Love it!!! that's almost perfect... I love cartoonish characters and your mesh is really well built up... No extra-faces.. clap clap!

underdog
01-26-2002, 09:17 AM
f**cking rocks hard I like! \m/

parallax
01-26-2002, 09:26 AM
nice character. :) those stitches really do it for me.
btw. how is working at a huge company like cfc-framestore?

Raul-Reznek
01-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Hey Toce wassup man???I'm glad to see u here.
Hey Pruss sdid u understand what I was saying???
If u guys would like it, I could podt some of my cartoony chars in here, how's that????

pabbloz
01-26-2002, 06:41 PM
I love comic characters! I love your rat! fantastic!
I'm looking forward to see him in another pose ;)

I give you a 5/5 !

goosh
01-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Nice work

I would love to see him animated now :)

Oh.. I would just add some teeth to him... it would help with expresions and the like

Great stuff

Javier

AJ
01-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Superb!!! I absolutely love him!

Flawless modelling, excellent design! He's just great!

(I wanna see him scampering soon!)

:D

Jean Eric
01-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Here is an idea, for the February Wip challenge, why don't we have it more cartoony this time? Create a cartoon character?

Just an idea... You guys are pretty much in control... :) I will not interfere.

lildragon
01-27-2002, 09:41 AM
oooo Jean Eric I like I like ;) heheheh

Jean Eric
01-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Just a suggestion you could give this a theme, create a Warner Brothers character or Disney, Hanna Barbara, etc... The character must be "Loveable" this time... :)

Again, this is just a suggestion. You guys are in charge here.

lildragon
01-27-2002, 09:46 AM
ok cool, I'll mention it to Cerreto and Pascal today and see how they feel :)

underdog
01-27-2002, 10:06 AM
I think thats a great idea for a challenge, hopefully I'll have time to participate in the next one

Kadde
01-27-2002, 10:38 AM
jesus pose, haha. that sounds funny:D

man, this character is really pefect. i liked every detail in him.
it catches the audience.

i'm doing a set of cartoony characters (very simple in design, and i am discovering that modelling cartoony is really really fun to do) for
my upcoming animation. i'll soon post here.

keep up !!

SPruss
01-27-2002, 04:14 PM
Thank you guys for all the wonderful compliments! ;)

To Parallax: Working at Framestore-CFC is great! they take good care of their people, and the projects here are very cool! Resident Evil, Blade 2, Dinotopia, and loads of commercials! I'm having a good time! ;)

I have only worked professionally as an animator, but I hope to get a position as a modeler at some point.. we'll see!

Ps. I think the idea of a cartoon challenge sounds just like my kind og thing! ;) ..although, finding the time is always a problem!

Jhonus
01-27-2002, 06:36 PM
i don't get it... it just looks liek somethign straight out of disney?

I admit its a nice model though.

Jean Eric
01-27-2002, 06:46 PM
I would probably say Warner Brothers (Bugs Bunny) rather than Disney.

Jhonus
01-28-2002, 03:27 AM
true. i often lump them together :)

mcaron
01-28-2002, 04:44 AM
WOW!!!

I like your style and your craftsmanship.

I guess you spend a lot of time drawing your characters before you start your model. I would sure love to see your sketches if you have any.

caulfield
01-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Nice rat. Since you asked for a crit, I'll suggest two things.

Maybe the line across the foot where the seperation of the toes begins should be uneven, not directly across the foot.

And the hands are a bit too human like. Go and watch Disney's Robin Hood again, and see how the hands are drawn. Mostly human like, but slightly adapted for each different kind of animal.

Your hands all seem a bit generic.

Otherwise, you know it's a great model.

SPruss
01-28-2002, 04:15 PM
I love the traditional cartoon style, wether it be Disney or Warner Bros. it doesn't matter! But when it comes to a specific style within the style, then I'm a Chuck Jones fan! ;) It is true that the Rat is very "standard" style! But I don't reallly mind that! Although sometimes I make more personal styled models, as the dragon and old lady on my website.

To Mcaron: Yes, normally I scetch and design alot on paper before I mess about in 3d! But I also like to not be to restricted by my design when I'm modeling for the fun of it, and I just let my creativity take my where ever! ..in this case it started out as a Mad Max rabbit kind of thing, but it ended up being a rat instead! ;) ..maybe I should model some accessories for him?!

To Spike: I do try and make the hands of my characters fit the character I model, my dragon has little fat fingers with nails, the squirrel has small thin fingers, but you're right! In the case of the rat I should probably push it a bit further!

On that note, I'm also wondering if it would be clever to make a personal catalog of basic hands, bodys etc. and reuse and modify things instead of always building them from scratch?! What do you guys do?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.