PDA

View Full Version : n00b question : two sided plane

Littleberu
02-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi, I want to make a cap for a character, and I wanted to know how can I make a 2 sided planar object in 3Ds Max. Thanks!

Buck
02-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Just click the box that says "2-sided" in the material editor on the material you are using, i guess...

Littleberu
02-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Buck
Just click the box that says "2-sided" in the material editor on the material you are using, i guess...

I don't find this option. Where can i find it please? :)

Fish-MD
02-23-2004, 11:52 PM
rightclick on the object->properties->force 2sided

this will render a face on both sides. If ur game dosent support 2 sided materials it won't work.

Other method is to simply make a new poly on the hidden side.

Gyzer
02-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Well that force 2sided thing doesn't work in max 5.1. Hell its not even in the properties of an object. What version of max are you using?

Howard Day
02-24-2004, 05:08 PM
OK, the easiest way to do this is by selecting the polies you want to be two-sided and duplicating them. (This is usually done by shift-clicking on them while in move mode...) when it asks you where you want to dupe them - select "element" and hit ok.
Then flip the faces. (Flip is a option in both editable mesh and poly - in editable mesh it's under "surface properties" and in editable poly its under "edit polygons")
One last thing - you might not want to weld these new faces - doing so can sometimes cause some very funky smoothing groups.
Best of luck!

commy
02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
u should be careful different platforms have different rules some arent as keen on 2 sided objects as others

Supervlieg
02-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Tick the two sided option in the material editor. It wont show up in your viewports though. It will when you render.

I think if you switch to openGL you might be able to see then in your viewports, but im not shure.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.